Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tesoro's and a Ground Balance control and Iron Audio ID.

December 07, 2018 02:52PM avatar
Druid
I truly believe Tesoro should have included a GB control on all their units so we could employ their various coils for specific sites and not worry about the match up between the internal trimmer and the new coils. (more coil sales = more profit)
Going back to 1983 we saw the direction Tesoro took to better satisfy the consumer market. They came out with the Inca in July, with manual GB to provide a more versatile detector for the Avid Detectorist. Three months later they introduced the original Silver Sabre, a turn-on-and-go detector that was basically made using the Inca's Discriminate circuitry. We could see more of a trend about that time where newcomers to the sport didn't understand all the descriptions and instructions on how to make a detector work better, but instead the new Hobbyist just wanted things to be 'simple.' So the Ground Balance function was eliminated (bypassed by using an internal GB trimmer) to make it easy for them to just turn-it-on-and-hunt.

Part of the reasoning was also that the bigger class would only get out periodically, and most likely be satisfied with a standard search coil. In the case of the original Silver Sabre that was a 7" Concentric coil which was just about ideal for most day-to-day detecting. Very seldom would a newcomer invest in, or make use of, an accessory coil, and the circuitry design kind-of addressed some performance that would, usually, not call for an adjustment to the GB trimmer.

And since then Jack's idea was to try and offer a manual GB and preset model with new model releases. In GA1dad's case, he has the turn-on-and go Cibola which is the easy-to-use version of the manually Ground Balanced Vaquero. Or, looking at my Tesoro favorites, I have the Bandido II ┬ÁMAX with manual adjustment and the Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX that is internally preset. We still have a lot of detectors on the market today that have a preset GB in Discriminate and/or All Metal modes, and with the modern digitally designed detectors it is much easier to add a Ground Grab type circuitry to make things simple and not require and operator to manually make the adjustments.

Druid
With a little more work on tone ID and iron volume/tone break may well have kept Tesoro in the game.
They had a potentially good 'concept' with the Euro Sabre. I bought one as soon as they were introduced in the US, after being a flop in Europe, and they tried to market the detector to the Relic Hunting crowd such as in the E and SE USA where they hunt Civil War sites. It was a good concept to have an iron audio and non-ferrous audio Discriminate mode, but I think the main problems came from it being an analog circuitry design. I believe the newer digitally based circuitry approach allows a much more defined Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break and I really wish that model (which has manual GB by the way) would have be able to work well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

New to me Cibola

GA1dad 254 December 03, 2018 08:07PM

Re: New to me Cibola

GA1dad 149 December 06, 2018 06:39PM

Getting out with your Tesoro Cibola.

Monte 158 December 07, 2018 02:21PM

Adapting to your Cibola, and adabting your Cibola to the ground mineral environment.

Monte 198 December 04, 2018 07:50AM

Re: Adapting to your Cibola, and adabting your Cibola to the ground mineral environment.

GA1dad 194 December 04, 2018 03:34PM

Re: Adapting to your Cibola, and adabting your Cibola to the ground mineral environment.

Druid 148 December 05, 2018 02:11PM

GA1dad 152 December 05, 2018 08:15PM

Druid 152 December 06, 2018 03:26PM

Tesoro's and a Ground Balance control and Iron Audio ID.

Monte 177 December 07, 2018 02:52PM

Just to touch on a couple of points.

Monte 158 December 05, 2018 02:21AM

Re: Just to touch on a couple of points.

GA1dad 163 December 05, 2018 08:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018