Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Congrats, and a good reason why I enjoy having a Tesoro or two on-hand.thumbs up

December 12, 2018 10:27PM avatar
I have a few detectors that I prefer more for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, and some that are without a doubt the best for serious Relic Hunting the challenging sites where nails and rusty tin abounds. But on every detecting jaunt I make, be it local or rural, I always have at least one of my favorite Tesoro models with me. My regular Tesoro 'travel unit' is a Bandido II µMAX and I keep a 6" Concentric coil mounted due to the thick brush and dense debris I most often encounter.

As I have described to those who attend a seminar or are at some club or other presentation, I have hunted my all-time favorite ghost town since May of '69, mostly on just occasional visits with the older TR, TR-Disc. and VLF/TR-Disc. units until July of '83. Since then, I have worked it especially hard, as often as possible, and with just about every detector I have on-hand on my visits, but always their performance was compared with the Tesoro(s) I took along. I started with Tesoro's in July of '83, and used mainly the 7" Concentric coil until the thin-profile 6" Concentric became available.

One bleak-looking chunk of high desert with no standing structures and a lot of debris describes that townsite, yet it has produced hundreds of US coins for me. I filled four binders of 2X2 carded coins and then some, and easily 90%, and really more like 95%, of all the old coins, trade tokens and other interesting 'keepers' from there have been found when I was using a Tesoro detector.

Even on my last few visits five to ten years ago when I was hunting with others, all of those who were using Minelab FBS models or top-end offerings from Fisher, Teknetics, Garrett and White's, were all surprised at the results I had from the terrific performance using a non-display, non-Tone ID, simple and light weight Tesoro.

On one of the last trips, there is a fairly open area, free of sage brush and weeds, that has a draw like a magnet that pulls any detector operator in and through there. I watched as the five guys I was hunting with, all of them using a Minelab Explorer II or other FBS model, meandered through that clearing.

When the last one had just moved on into some short grassy area I wandered in with a Tejón (one of my least favorite Tesoro's although they can work OK) and I hunted toward the center of the open area. I had a very clean signal and, from less than 1½"-2", I recovered an 1865 3¢ piece, nickel variety. Not only was I using a Tejón, but I didn't have a smaller-size coil handy and was hunting with the stock 8X9 Concentric coil. Again, not my #1 choice for a very contaminated old RR town site.

Anyone active enough to hunt a variety of sites, and use a good assortment of detector makes and models and search coils sizes and types, learns very quickly that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector or detector / coil set-up. There are times and site / environment conditions that will impair a detectors 'best performance' potential, and for that I always travel with at least three detectors just to be ready for what I might face. Yes, sometimes even a Tesoro can be grossly impaired, such as here in my den due to terrible EMI. But in the majority of places I hunt, I can usually count on a Tesoro to perform quite well.

Were you using only the standard 8X9 Concentric coil? Keep us informed of your adventures afield which checking out your modified Cibola.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Cibola came through for me Attachments

GA1dad 123 December 12, 2018 07:03PM

Re: Cibola came through for me

Timbertodd 67 December 14, 2018 02:58PM

Congrats, and a good reason why I enjoy having a Tesoro or two on-hand.thumbs up

Monte 72 December 12, 2018 10:27PM

Druid 63 December 12, 2018 10:02PM

GA1dad 70 December 13, 2018 04:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018