Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thanks for your reply, and I envy your abilities and determination.

December 15, 2018 08:36AM avatar
Fish N Chips
Thanks Monte, a great in-depth response as always.
'Thank You.' I know they can get a bit lengthy at times, but my intent is simply to provide info and help to readers.

Fish N Chips
I usually do run my T2 at around 21-24 discrimination, but nails were falsing so badly I had to increase it to get them to break up.
My Teknetics Omega 8000 V4 requires a Disc. setting of '16' or '17' to reject most iron nails, my modified White's Classic ID a Disc. setting between 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock, Fisher F44 knock out the '1' segment, my Nokta FORS CoRe a Disc. setting of about '21' (similar to the T2) and FORS Relic a setting of '10' and my Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX I simply run at the minimum Disc. setting.

Then those models will work similar to the Teknetics T2 w/a '21' to '24' Disc. adjustment. Most nails will be just barely rejected with the exception of some occasional sporadic 'ticks' and in most average locations I can live with that. As you point out, there are times when the conditions or very abundance of nails can become rather annoying. Most of the time I keep my Disc. set low enough to just barely hear iron nails, except with the Tesoro and Classic ID model which are a single-tone design and I like to hear nails, but not be annoyed by them.

When nail 'noise' gets to be really annoying, then on most models I might increase the Discrimination enough top just barely reject them ... OR ... I grab a Nokta FORS Relic or my Fisher F44. These models allow me to still hear nails and most other iron, but they also feature an Iron Audio Volume adjustment. I grab my Relic or F44 when I want to reduce the iron nail annoyance because I can operate with a very low loudness and it will be an Iron Audio tone that isn't very loud,

Fish N Chips
I do not look at my TID much and go by ear on targets, so it was throwing me off. I set my minimum discrimination and beep and dig even with my TID machines at these older sites.
All my detectors and only three Tesoro's lack a visual TID, but like you, I also rely on the audio response and only glance at the display from time to time.

Fish N Chips
Going to a discrimination of 50 and lowering the sensitivity made the nails break up enough to bypass them or allow me to check them at 90 degrees, obviously at the loss of some targets.
Yes, but instead of increasing my detector's Discrimination, I simply grab the Relic or F44 to audibly handle iron debris noise and annoyance.

Fish N Chips
I speculate the local cut nails here may have a higher copper or alloy content, but that is just my theory and it is worse when really wet conditions are present. I do not have nearly as much issue in other locations and can hunt some of the desert sites or goal rush camps without issue.
The amount of, and saturated depth I wet conditions can hinder performance at times, or enhance performance. It all just depends.

As for 'copper' .... I've dealt with that once Back in the fall of '71, my brother Ed & I were using our TR's and hunting old yards where they were tearing out houses to build a freeway. I was working a front yard near an old tree, and the house dated to about the 1885 to 1910 era, and I had a good signal and recovered a dark brownish square nail about 4" to 5" in length. As I continued I found more in a small cluster of similar nails, and those old TR's would generally ignore and null, out over an iron nail, but not these.

After I got home and sorted through my coins I then addressed some of the trash and cleaned up those brown nails. They were brown from color deterioration and not from built-up rust. They all cleaned up nice and shiny as they were all made of copper and all a square nail type design. That explained why they didn't null out that TR like iron targets do, and in these 47 years that have followed I have never found a single big copper nail like that. Fortunately, we mainly deal with iron trash.

Fish N Chips
I have numerous sites within a 10 mile radius along this wagon road where this is present and I have to turn my discrimination up to around nickle after a rain to cause them to break up, yet some of my sites on the opposite side of town I do not notice it at all.
Numerous sites within 10 mile radius? Hummm, maybe I need to find a snowbird site like that to spend my winters. Want to maybe pinpoint the location a little bit better?winking smiley

Fish N Chips
I may look around for a used Bandido II microMAX or upgrade to another TID detector later.
Looking for a good Bandido II µMAX is a great idea, and if you add another model with visual Target ID, maybe consider one that also has Iron Audio Volume adjustment. Very functional.

Fish N Chips
The more I hunt the more my preference for concentric coils becomes. My sites are so trashy that depth is never an issue, and I find it is more important to have good discrimination and the DD coils do not do that as well.
I like my two mid-size 5X9½ DD coils on a CoRe and relic, and get excellent performance in dense trash with the small 'OOR' DD on the CoRe and 5" DD on the Relic. No smaller or mid-size Concentric coils made for those models. The only other DD equipped Regular-Use Detector in my outfit is one of my Omega 8000's with a 5" DD.

Everything else sports a Concentric search coil from 5½" to 7" and the primary reason is just as your referred to, Concentric coils will generally provide much better Discrimination as well as a tighter and more accurate TID than a DD coil design.

Fish N Chips
I really like the features of the Makro Amfibio. Concentric coil ability, TID and good reviews. It would be nice to have a waterproof detector for stormy weather or hunting local creeks, and something that would pull double duty at parks although they are my least favorite to hunt as I do not care for modern trash, I like historic trash smiling smiley.
The Nokta-Makro Anfibio is, in my opinion, the best model they are currently producing especially when equipped with the excellent 7" Concentric coil for general day-to-day searches.

Fish N Chips
I do wonder about the 120 discrimination as I often have to use my detectors to find the nails at my forgotten sites and then hunt the nail bed.
When I am hunting older sites with my Bandido II µMAX, I enjoy using the ED-120 Discrimination, and if I am first trying to locate former human activity by finding iron nails or other debris, I simply hunt in the All Metal mode. Then once I am in the past activity area I simply use a slow and methodical sweep in the Discriminate mode. It works fine using that seek and search method.

Fish N Chips
I sometimes take a spare detector with me, but not always as some sites are a 1-4 mile hike to get into.
I always travel with 3 to 6 detectors, and I do remember the days when I hiked into desert regions, into the woods, and up canyons and steep grades to get to good sites. But that's one of the things you do that I just am not physically able to take on anymore. If those sites within a 10 mile radius you mentioned call for the need to hike, it doesn't look like I'll be moving that direction. Shucks.

I don't have one, and enjoy my present detector outfit, but I've owned a few T2's and fell they have been once of the better general-purpose models on the market. Comfortable, and with the 5" DD coil they do well in iron littered relic hunting sites. It's good to see a lot of people still using and enjoying them. Thanks for explaining your g=usually set-up and approach to success.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro Bandido II - older model question

Fish N Chips 127 December 13, 2018 02:40PM

An older-model Tesoro Bandido II answer or two.

Monte 107 December 14, 2018 03:02PM

Re: An older-model Tesoro Bandido II answer or two.

Fish N Chips 86 December 14, 2018 04:29PM

Thanks for your reply, and I envy your abilities and determination.

Monte 93 December 15, 2018 08:36AM

Re: Thanks for your reply, and I envy your abilities and determination.

Fish N Chips 73 December 15, 2018 12:16PM

Remfire 56 December 15, 2018 11:14PM

Fish N Chips 64 December 16, 2018 11:04AM

Re: Tesoro Bandido II - older model question

Hombre 118 December 13, 2018 07:27PM

Re: Tesoro Bandido II - older model question

Fish N Chips 78 December 14, 2018 12:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018