Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My opinions on a 'standard' size coil for the 'black' version Vaquero.

January 02, 2019 08:02AM avatar
Druid
I picked up a nice "Black Vaq" from a fellow on the CDN metal detecting forum.
I received it with the 5.75" concentric and 10x12 DD coil.
Good detector pick, especially the 'black' version which I think is better looking than the standard color.

One good coil out of two isn't a bad thing, referring to the very useful 6" Concentric coil. (I sure wish they would have just used the measured diameter and not use a nutty name like White's had done for their 6½" coils.) Most Tesoro models do not work nearly as well with a DD coil as they do a Concentric, and a 10X12 is just an awkward coil for the smaller-size and light weight Vaquero.

Druid
I won't have a lot of use other than hunting fresh water beaches and playing fields for the 10x12 coil, and would like a mid-sized coil for this unit.
Personally, I would dump the 10X12 DD and go with a 'standard' size coil which, to me, is in the mid-size coil category. That would include either the brown 8" Concentric our the slightly Out-Of-Round 8X9 Concentric.

Druid
Is the 8" brown concentric the best option for me?
I used to use the brown 8" Concentric as a 'standard-use' coil on a Lobo SuperTRAQ and it worked well, just like the 8" coils I've used on the general purpose series from Tesoro. However, that was the original brown-box Lobo ST and the brown 8" coil seemed to look OK.

Personally, I don't care for the brown colored coils and prefer a white coil, and black as a 2nd choice. The brown 8" wouldn't look good on the 'black' Vaquero, but a white or black coil would. (Naturally, just my personal opinion.winking smiley) If I had a Vaquero again, like the black version I had with the High-Tone modification, I would get the 8X9 Concentric coil. I did like the standard 8X11 DD that came with that model as it looked good and kind of worked OK, but the 8X9 Concentric coil out-performed it afield. The always mounted daily use coil, however, was the 6" Concentric.

My suggestion then is the 8X9 Concentric instead of the brown 8" Concentric. Not only for looks and performance, but the open-frame design of the 8X9 will let you work it in water better than the solid-body 8" design.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Opinions about the 8" round concentric coil for Vaquero?

Druid 92 January 01, 2019 02:03PM

My opinions on a 'standard' size coil for the 'black' version Vaquero.

Monte 69 January 02, 2019 08:02AM

Re: My opinions on a 'standard' size coil for the 'black' version Vaquero.

Druid 63 January 02, 2019 01:57PM

Re: Opinions about the 8" round concentric coil for Vaquero?

Timbertodd 57 January 01, 2019 03:00PM

Re: Opinions about the 8" round concentric coil for Vaquero?

Druid 67 January 01, 2019 08:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018