Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good results, and great story on "Getting Started."

September 20, 2019 02:23AM avatar
Dan'o
It was a pleasure speaking with you today.
I was able to take the Silver Sabre microMax apart and found a wire between two of the contacts of the threshold pot. Once removed it seems to be functioning properly! Thanks for the tip of what to look for.
My pleasure as well. The insides of those dinky microMAX housings, and all the wiring involved, can cause unwanted contacts. I have seen that happen on more than one occasion. Glad you checked it out and have it working. If it's OK, I'll handle the unit this Saturday and check it out as I do mine for performance.

Dan'o
The 5.3 used to be my favorite around the farm in Indiana where the iron debris was plentyful.
The so-called 5.3 search coils, which was just a marketing idea for a new name for the coil, are all the same 6½" diameter coils as the 'original' of that series, the Blue Max 600. The 6½" Concentric coils were, have been, and continue to be my favorite general-purpose search coils for all the models they work on. I have one mounted on my XLT No.34, and I should have my newest-to-me modified IDX Pro arrive in this morning's mail and I'll mount as 6½" Concentric before I head out the door to 'Rippville.'

In the past I also used a 6½" Concentric coil the bulk of the time on a: Classic III SL, Classic ID, Classic IDX, 5900 Di Pro SL, 6000 Pro XL and the renamed XL Pro, MXT, M6, MXT Pro, MX-5 and MX-7. On a very, very rare occasion I used a '950' Concentric, and for some special needs the 4½" Blue Max 350 coil on as Classic series model. The only coil I enjoy using to complement the 6½" coil was one of the 8" Concentrics on an XLT or XL Pro or 5900 Di Pro SL when hunting an open area such as a sports field or a wide-open plowed field , etc. Once I located the site I searched for in the open areas, I then switched back to the 6½".

The Classic series with a 6½" Concentric provide almost identical in-the-field performance in highly trashy sites as do my favorite Tesoro models with a 6" or 7" Concentric coil. In some applications, even a little edge in performance.

Dan'o
That was on my first detector the PRO XL or XL PRO, I forget now. What got me hooked on metal detecting was 2 different finds I made shortly after learning how to set it up and deal with the coal which was all over the place.
The first was in the apple orchard where I found a 1946 Rosevelt dime at a little over 6" on edge! The ground was moist and the signal was very soft bet consistant.
Finding a silver coin early in the game is enough to help get someone hooked on the sport.thumbs up

Dan'o
The next one that really sealed the deal was near the Ohio river at a park where there was about a 3.5ft embankment with a small flat area about 12ft wide at one end where most people didn't seem to go. I found a handfull of pennies and few dimes and nickles in a baby food jar roughly 4" deep. I thought that was all untill I check again before moving on. Just a few inches away the meter all but peged to the right. Out of that hole came 31 coins! Mostly quarters with some nickles and dimes mixed in. If memory serves me there was nothing newer than 1982 and no silver.
Finding a small jar of coins, and then a nearby mix of 31 coins, well, that would REALLY set-the-hook!!thumbs upthumbs up

Dan'o
That was all with the 5.3 coil, slowing down and overlaping my swings like I had read on one of your posts. That was in 2008 or so.
Thanks, again,
Dan
Eleven years and you're now going to get more experience using a variety of detectors to better learn some dense ferrous trashy sites such as gold mining era ghost towns, like 'Switchback' or 'Lonesome Arch' where we'll be heading tomorrow. Much different from your local Coin Hunting locations. They definitely call for using the best detector(s) you can with the most versatile smaller-size search coils ... then hunting with a shorter side-to-side sweep in a slow-and-methodical manner for the best success.

Dan'o
ps I will be bringing the Silver Sabre microMax even though the 6" coil won't be here by then.
I'll have one of my Tesoro's along and we can swap a 6" Concentric over for the day so you can check out your new-to-you Silver Sabre microMAX.

I'll double check access due to recent weather and let you know later today if we'll leave from Love's for 'Switchback' or from here in Vale for 'Lonesome Arch.'

See you in the morning!

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Need a Tesoro gone through

Dan'o 93 September 18, 2019 09:52PM

Dan, perhaps I can help you out?

Monte 84 September 19, 2019 04:39AM

Re: Dan, perhaps I can help you out?

Dan'o 54 September 19, 2019 06:18AM

Thanks for the info and then the phone call.

Monte 51 September 19, 2019 01:41PM

Re: Thanks for the info and then the phone call.

Dan'o 55 September 19, 2019 02:22PM

Good results, and great story on "Getting Started."

Monte 67 September 20, 2019 02:23AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018