Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jack, to this and the previous post you made.

December 03, 2019 08:58PM avatar
I used to do a lot of simple detector fixin' but I sold my soldering iron outfit a good twenty years ago when arthritis and dexterity issues set in. It's even worse these days so when I needed things fixed, I had to send them off or find someone local. I figured some students at a community college here in Oregon that was close-by might need a project. I contacted th instructor and he kind of chuckled it off and said he'd do it himself if I left the device with him for a day or two to work it in. Simple soldering for him and he didn't want to charge me anything for it.

Also, with some of the smaller-size control housings and use of the dinky-sized components they are using, that added to the challenge for the physically finger-impaired like me. Eyes getting bad didn't help, either.

As for the Bandido battery failure I encountered, I used to always test batteries by keeping track of the operating time until they died. I also used to remember to have a spare set of batteries with me when I set out on a detecting jaunt, too. Took one of my boys, when they were youngsters, along on a trip to my all-time favorite ghost town and was using my original Bandido powered by 2- 9 Volt batteries like you have. I knew the batteries were getting very low and figured they might not last the day. I grabbed the paper sack off the counter that had other batteries and snacks and off we went on about a 110 mile journey.

I was right and only got in about 1½ hours of hunt time when the batteries died. Off to the vehicle for a quick battery change. Wrong sack.sad smiley

But along with us was a hand-held device my son had so I poached his 9V battery .... only one. It didn't matter which of the two battery contacts I used, the Bandido worked just fine. It was a pretty fresh battery and I was able to hunt on through the rest of a long summer's day without a problem.

Got back home and did a couple of things. I removed one of the two 9-V batteries from my Silver Sabre II and from my other Bandido just to double check their ability to also work with a single 9-V battery. Then I bought a plastic tool and parts tote and outfitted it with spare coil mounting bolts, washers and nuts for the different brands I had, an extra arm strap for my other detectors, a battery tester, a few other parts I or someone else might need afield, and ..... EXTRA BATTERIES. I've upgraded my tote but always have it loaded up and travelling with me so I won't get caught short again.

Glad to hear you have the innards cleaned up and everything running well. I have a lot of appreciation for many former and current detector models that are more featured and work well for where I like to hunt. But I also learned over thirty-six tears ago how nice it is to keep at lest two favorite Tesoro's in my Detector Outfit. They work quite well in general and make a great grab for some quick-handling specialty work.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: F5; Apex; Vanquish 540; FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 & Simplex +; T2+; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Bandito 2 (big box) repair

Kraemer 288 December 01, 2019 08:23PM

The 'take-down' of the Bandido II w/under-slung housing.

Monte 250 December 02, 2019 06:16AM

THANKS Monte! Now I just have to get the nerve to do it!

Kraemer 209 December 02, 2019 02:55PM

***REPAIR UPDATE ***

Kraemer 226 December 02, 2019 08:50PM

Jack, to this and the previous post you made.

Monte 222 December 03, 2019 08:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 44
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020