Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jack, to this and the previous post you made.

December 03, 2019 10:58PM avatar
I used to do a lot of simple detector fixin' but I sold my soldering iron outfit a good twenty years ago when arthritis and dexterity issues set in. It's even worse these days so when I needed things fixed, I had to send them off or find someone local. I figured some students at a community college here in Oregon that was close-by might need a project. I contacted th instructor and he kind of chuckled it off and said he'd do it himself if I left the device with him for a day or two to work it in. Simple soldering for him and he didn't want to charge me anything for it.

Also, with some of the smaller-size control housings and use of the dinky-sized components they are using, that added to the challenge for the physically finger-impaired like me. Eyes getting bad didn't help, either.

As for the Bandido battery failure I encountered, I used to always test batteries by keeping track of the operating time until they died. I also used to remember to have a spare set of batteries with me when I set out on a detecting jaunt, too. Took one of my boys, when they were youngsters, along on a trip to my all-time favorite ghost town and was using my original Bandido powered by 2- 9 Volt batteries like you have. I knew the batteries were getting very low and figured they might not last the day. I grabbed the paper sack off the counter that had other batteries and snacks and off we went on about a 110 mile journey.

I was right and only got in about 1½ hours of hunt time when the batteries died. Off to the vehicle for a quick battery change. Wrong sack.sad smiley

But along with us was a hand-held device my son had so I poached his 9V battery .... only one. It didn't matter which of the two battery contacts I used, the Bandido worked just fine. It was a pretty fresh battery and I was able to hunt on through the rest of a long summer's day without a problem.

Got back home and did a couple of things. I removed one of the two 9-V batteries from my Silver Sabre II and from my other Bandido just to double check their ability to also work with a single 9-V battery. Then I bought a plastic tool and parts tote and outfitted it with spare coil mounting bolts, washers and nuts for the different brands I had, an extra arm strap for my other detectors, a battery tester, a few other parts I or someone else might need afield, and ..... EXTRA BATTERIES. I've upgraded my tote but always have it loaded up and travelling with me so I won't get caught short again.

Glad to hear you have the innards cleaned up and everything running well. I have a lot of appreciation for many former and current detector models that are more featured and work well for where I like to hunt. But I also learned over thirty-six tears ago how nice it is to keep at lest two favorite Tesoro's in my Detector Outfit. They work quite well in general and make a great grab for some quick-handling specialty work.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk ..
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Bandito 2 (big box) repair

Kraemer 513 December 01, 2019 10:23PM

The 'take-down' of the Bandido II w/under-slung housing.

Monte 400 December 02, 2019 08:16AM

THANKS Monte! Now I just have to get the nerve to do it!

Kraemer 364 December 02, 2019 04:55PM

***REPAIR UPDATE ***

Kraemer 384 December 02, 2019 10:50PM

Jack, to this and the previous post you made.

Monte 372 December 03, 2019 10:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021