Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tesoro and White's ... Don't overlook their good analog detectors.

May 07, 2020 09:26AM avatar
Just a reminder for those who have used their better slow-motion analog-based models through the years, and a hint to newcomers who are only familiar with their 'modern' digital circuitry designs. No, not all of the older analog models were really good, but there are some that I have enjoyed through the years and continue to do so today.

I'm posting this on both the Tesoro and White's Forums for followers of both / either brands and because I haven't enjoyed a good analog from any other detector maker that provided me the superb results I've had in densely iron contaminated old sites. My personal favorites from Tesoro from mid-'83 included the Inca, Royal Sabre, Golden Sabre Plus, Silver Sabre II, Silver Sabre µMAX (microMAX), Pantera, Bandido, Bandido II and Bandido II µMAX.

Of them all, I settled on my favorite-of-favorites, the Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, and since I hunt trashier sites 90% of the time or more, they both keep a 6" Concentric coil mounted full-time. Since mid-'83 I used the 7" coil almost exclusively, until the thin-profile 6" Concentric was introduced, and now it is all I own, use or need for these models.

I can use either of these models almost anywhere, but I generally rely on my Silver Sabre µMAX and its turn-on-and-go simplicity for quick work of tot-lots and other uniform ground urban hunting opportunities. My 'general purpose' Bandido II µMAX I put to work in most of the Relic Hunting environments I work because they can have very challenging ground mineral conditions and the manual GB control puts me in charge of having peak-performance at all times, in either the ll meta or silent-search Discriminate modes.

The only other manufacturer that brought out a decent analog detector to compete with the Tesoro circuitry behavior was White's. The came out with the Coinmaster Classic series in the early-to-mid '90s, and when they improved on the design and packaging, their Classic ID and IDX pro models were also regular-use units in my personal outfit. The only difference from a standard production model is that mine had the 'Mr. Bill' Crabtree modifications to add an external Threshold and manual Ground Balance control to enhance their versatility.

A look back to mid-'83 and the race was on with manufacturers to go after the new Teknetics line with a bigger and heavier package, and more features like Target ID. Soon, they added audio Tone ID and all the big players, which back then were USA manufacturers, were working on making top-end models with top-dollar prices, and all of those models required a fairly brisk sweep speed. A year earlier, in '82, Fisher had introduced a new circuitry design, in a lighter-weight package, that was a slower-sweep and had a quicker-response with their 1260-X. It worked, but not well in Iron contaminated sites as it struggled to reject a common Iron Nail.

In July of '83, Jack Gifford introduced the Tesoro Inca. A new concept, also using the double-derivative or two-filter circuitry design, which was also a slow-motion / quick-response detector and his design handled common Iron Nails quite well. For me and the very ferrous contaminated sites I mainly sought out, it was a splendid new concept. It kept things 'Simple' and the device was very 'Functional' without a lot of extra adjustment features, and the 'Performance' was spectacular. The old-use sites simply opened-up and the results were very rewarding.

When I got my Inca I also ordered in the Mayan, and in a day-or-two I had swapped the 7" coil from the Mayan to the Inca to replace the 8"-8½" standard coil. That became the search coils I favored 95% of the time on any Tesoro I used because it fit in and around the brush, building rubble and trash better. I continued to use the 7" Concentric coils almost exclusively until they brought out their thin-profile 6" Concentric and since then, that is just about the only coil I use from Tesoro on any model.

Other companies tried to catch up and challenge a good Tesoro, but most of what they made could work OK for a lot of trashy urban locations to satisfy Coin Hunters, but they simply failed to perform in the heavily-littered Iron Nail and other ferrous debris sites. I switched from the brands I was using and selling to take on the Tesoro line in July of '83 and use them almost exclusively for almost a dozen years. Always checking out the competition, but Jack just happened to chance upon a very good circuitry design for Relic Hunting type environments that nobody else could match.

That was, until White's farmed out the circuitry design since they didn't come up with it in-house, and thankfully, William 'Bill' Lahr designed the Coinmaster Classic series for them. It was housed in a more square-shaped control housing and they were powered by 3-9V batteries. You could use a slow-motion sweep speed, handle most Iron Nails very well, and the in-the-field performance was the closest I handled that came to challenging the Tesoro line.

I first handled the Coinmaster Classic White's on Memorial Day Weekend in a southern Utah ghost town and was impressed on how well it worked compared with my Tesoro Bandido at the time. I had the 'edge', however, because I had the smaller 7" Concentric coil and also had manual control of the Threshold and Ground Balance settings. Otherwise, it was th bet performing model to compete with a favorite Tesoro.

In time I was using White's Classic series favorites that all had modifications by 'Mr. Bill' Crabtree that added a manual Threshold and GB control, and that meant I always had a favorite Tesoro or two and a modified White's Classic model in my Detector Outfit. They can perform well and make excellent complements to my modern-day digital circuitry detectors.

All of these were single-tone models. Discriminate what you don't want to hear, then go after the rest with a 'Beep-DIG!' search technique. A 'simple' approach to success and also a rewarding search method .... once you learn and master these detectors..

While my Tesoro's were most used in the Iron littered ghost towns since mid-'83, by the late '90s and into this century the modified Classic's were also contributing quite a bit of the time, too. Today's 'modern' and 'sophisticated' choices of digital-circuitry models from Nokta / Makro and Minelab handle the bulk of my hunting needs quite well. They are, and have shown me from use afield, some of the best-of-the-best .... in modern design. But to complement them, I also have my favorite modified White's IDX Pro and Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX Tesoro's to round-out my Detector Outfit.

If you own and use one of the better Tesoro's or White's models, then you know what I mean. If you are newer to this great sport or have only been at it for five-to-ten years and only make use of these newer-designed, digitally-based models, I encourage you to keep a watchful eye for a choice specimen of these discontinued models and give them a try. You just might be surprised how well they can perform without all the sound-effects and glitter. I always have at least one of my favorite Tesoro's loaded in my vehicle for any urban or rural travel.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540; CoRe, Relic, Impact & Simplex +; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro and White's ... Don't overlook their good analog detectors.

Monte 72 May 07, 2020 09:26AM

Tesoro veterans contrast Silver Sabre vs the last Tesoro; Mojave.

Druid 55 May 07, 2020 07:55PM

Re: Tesoro and White's ... Don't overlook their good analog detectors.

D&P-OR 52 May 07, 2020 10:32AM

Yes, the Bandido II µMAX has long been a 'must-have' for me.

Monte 57 May 07, 2020 12:53PM

Re: Yes, the Bandido II µMAX has long been a 'must-have' for me.

jmaryt 42 May 07, 2020 04:55PM

If I had a need for, or room for, just one more Tesoro,

Monte 52 May 08, 2020 05:00AM

Re: If I had a need for, or room for, just one more Tesoro,

Druid 38 May 08, 2020 03:23PM

Re: If I had a need for, or room for, just one more Tesoro,

jmaryt 43 May 08, 2020 09:17AM

26 Days and some good luck

UtahRich 41 May 08, 2020 09:13PM

24 Days and some bad luck sad smiley

UtahRich 28 May 11, 2020 06:01PM

Coils and coil cable lengths.

Monte 25 May 11, 2020 07:46PM

Re: 24 Days and some bad luck sad smiley

D&P-OR 24 May 11, 2020 06:19PM

24 Days and some bad luck sad smiley

UtahRich 22 May 11, 2020 06:59PM

Counting the 26 Days - - - Hoping for some good luck.

Monte 37 May 09, 2020 07:24AM

A little bad luck making preparations for WTHO

UtahRich 32 May 09, 2020 03:01PM

Re: A little bad luck & good

Sodbuster 20 May 11, 2020 08:44AM

Re: A little bad luck making preparations for WTHO

OregonGregg 30 May 09, 2020 08:51PM

UtahRich 19 May 10, 2020 10:20AM

Druid 22 May 09, 2020 06:36PM

A little bad luck discovered while making preparations for WTHO

UtahRich 26 May 09, 2020 09:13PM

Re: A little bad luck discovered while making preparations for WTHO

Druid 20 May 10, 2020 08:39AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018