Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tesoro veterans contrast Silver Sabre vs the last Tesoro; Mojave.

May 07, 2020 07:55PM
As a loyal Tesoro user, I might stretch the reply beyond just those models. Quite a gap between their release, too.

Druid
I have a couple of older Whites units at present, Sven modified IDX and a C cell model 5900 Di-pro. I have spent quite a bit of time with Whites detectors but really lack experience with the older Tesoro models.

You have two of the better White's offerings from time-gone-by, especially since your IDX has been modified to add the Threshold and manual GB control.thumbs up

A lot of people do not have much experience with most Tesoro models, especially if they came into this great outdoor sport in the past twenty years when the popularity of visual Target ID and audio Tone ID has really captured the market ... or at least the interests of many hobbyists. Tesoro offered quite a few models that were very good. They had a few 'glitchy' offerings, and one thing they never did was bring out a decent, competitive, visual Target ID detector. Many people today who have used other detectors and then try a Tesoro just don't last long with it. No models with visual TID and audible Tone ID or they don't put in the time to learn their strengths and weaknesses.

Druid
I am curious how the last Tesoro, the Mojave compares to the older Silver Sabre?

Humm.thinking I think to better answer that question, especially for readers unfamiliar with Tesoro's and some terminology used, we have to first look at the Discrimination circuitry designs used by Tesoro. Let's roll back to July of 1983 and get started there. I know, that was almost thirty-seven years ago, but it does smatter to answer the question as that's when the Silver Sabre got started.

July of '83 Tesoro introduced the Inca. A unique physical package, and the Inca offered a Threshold-based All Metal mode with manual Ground Balance, and a silent-search motion-based Discriminate mode. That model grabbed my attention and I immediately switched over to using and selling Tesoro's, especially the Inca, for the versatile performance and how well it handled common Iron Nails, and the very quick-response and fast-recovery in the iron infested ghost towns and other ferrous cluttered old places I hunted the most.

The Disc. range was very similar to that use by most manufacturers at the time, and at the minimum Disc. setting, nails and most Iron targets were rejected. Matter-of-fact, the Inca, again much like many other popular Discriminators, would even reject very small, thin foil at the minimum Disc. setting, and that is up out of the Ferrous range and into the very low non-ferrous conductivity range. In years past I have referred to that Disc. range of Acceptance as being about a D-90 or D-100, referring to the upper 100° of the sine wave for the conductivity range.

Late in '83, Jack took the Inca's Disc. circuitry and packaged it in a smaller-size housing and called it the Silver Sabre. That was their first popular "turn-on-and-go" model, meaning the GB was internally factory preset and all you had to do was turn the detector On and start hunting. You had a variable Sensitivity control and variable Disc. control, with the lowest-end at ± that D-100° reference. So the 'original' Silver Sabre was introduced in late '83, had the fixed GB, and a toggle to select a mode labeled 'All Metal' but it really wasn't. That is, it wasn't a conventional, threshold-based All Metal mode like the Inca, but was simply still in the motion-based, silent-search Discriminate mode, but was set to then Accept, All Metal targets to include Ferrous and Non-Ferrous. It was a motion-based detector and lacked a Threshold-based, conventional All Metal pinpoint mode.

Staying with the Silver Sabre series, the next release was the Silver Sabre Plus. I won't cover it much here except to say it was a 'glitchy' problem model, was shorter-lived, and I advise anyone to avoid getting that model. Glitchy says it all.

Next came the improved Silver Sabre II. Much improved, really, as it was now in the under-slung ABS plastic housing like the Bandido and Bandido II, used 2-9V batteries (but can operate on only 1-9V if needed but for a shorter run-time). It was also a factory preset GB model, but had an external knob to adjust the Threshold level, and it had a selectable All Metal mode for Pinpointing. Improved detection depth over the earlier 'original' Silver Sabre, and it came with an 8" Concentric coil whereas the 'original' model came with a 7" Concentric coil.

But the best improvement was with the Discrimination range-of-acceptance. The Inca, original Silver Sabre, and other models in their line like the Royal Sabre, Gold Sabre and Golden Sabra Plus, were all based on the more limited range of acceptance to just the upper 90° to 100° of the conductivity range. One of the problems is that avid gold jewelry hunters were not finding small, thin gold chains or gold rings with the earlier Tesoro's because the minimum Disc. setting was still too far up in the conductivity range and was Discriminating, or rejecting, the smaller, lower-conductive gold jewelry.eye popping smiley

Jack Gifford addressed this with the introduction of the original Bandido and Silver Sabre II by changing to what he called ED-120 Disc. circuitry. All that meant was he was now using an Expanded Discrimination that was adjusting lower at the minimum setting so that it Accepted the upper 120° of the conductivity range. Less lower-end rejection so it was now accepting the thin gold chains and small gold rings and other tiny gold jewelry objects. With the ED-120 Disc. circuitry, when set at the minimum setting, it is going to accept almost all of the Non-Ferrous range of targets and will Reject most Iron Nails and most common Iron debris. I ALWAYS run my ED-120 Disc. Tesoro models right at the absolute minimum Disc. setting. Never increase it at all, and that knocks out most Iron Nails in the older places I hunt.

Next came the very improved Silver Sabre µMAX in October of '97. Not only did it use the ED-120 Disc. circuitry design, but it had an external, control panel Threshold control for the Pinpoint mode, and a nifty red Pinpoint pushbutton for momentary access to that function. All of this was now 'miniaturized' for the circuitry to fit in the smaller control housing and powered by a single 9V battery. Better yet was that it used the new Low-Noise / High-Gain circuitry that enhanced the depth-of-detection.

** That was the progression of the Silver Sabre model line of four different Silver Sabre models. They had other models with similar circuitry but lacking a Pinpoint function, such as the Cutlass series. And along the way, just like White's over-use of the '6000' model labeling, Tesoro over-used models with Golden and Silver in the name. Tesoro had the Golden Sabre, then the Golden Sabre Plus with a feature change and using 15 kHz, then the Golden Sabre Ii which was simply a Pantera circuit board but changed to an internally per-set GB. Three Golden Sabre models. Then they brought out the Golden µMAX and eliminated the use of the word 'Sabre' so it didn't really fit the series.

Well, they did the same after having a Silver Sabre, Silver Sabre Plus, Silver Sabre II and Silver Sabre µMAX, they brought out a new model. They dropped the 'Sabre' reference and basically took the Cutlass II µMAX and renamed it the Silver µMAX. That might have been the model you were referring to that was out when the Mojave was introduced.

The Silver µMAX was essentially a re-named Cutlass II µMAX and they promoted it as a return to the 'original' Silver Sabre that was only a motion-based Discriminating model, but now with ED-120 Disc. It also had a toggle to elect All Metal Discriminate function, but no Pinpoint mode.

The Silver µMAX had ED-120 Disc., came with an 8" Concentric coil, and had the connector to use interchangeable coils.

The other Discriminate circuitry, the ED-180: If the Discrimination is adjusted to the "All Metal" setting, it is then Accepting ALL Ferrous and non-Ferrous targets, or in other words the full 180° range of conductivity. That's what the toggle elector did on the 'original' Silver Sabre and a few other models, like some Cutlass units, and Jack brought out the Compadre as a lower-end model. Only 1 control knob to adjust the Discrimination and everything else preset. The knob, just after clicking 'on' was then Accepting the full range of Ferrous and Non-Ferrous targets or, as mentioned, using an ED-180 Disc. range circuitry.

It originally came hard-wired with a 7" Concentric coil and later they offered it with a hard-wired 8" or 6" coil. But they were hard-wired and not interchangeable. That was the lower-end model, and the next one up the line was the ED-120 Disc. Silver µMAX.

Enter the Mojave. It was intended to be the lower-end offering in the new black rod and housing configuration like they had use on foreign models but had just switched over to. I was told it would be replacing the Compadre and Silver µMAX by offering what those tow did combined. The Mojave uses the ED-180 Disc. circuitry like the Compadre so you could accept everything or increase the Disc. as desired. But it also offered a variable Sensitivity control like the Silver µMAX as well as the coil connector so you could interchange search coils. And one step better than the other two models, the Mojave has a nice 2-position GB selector to be used for moderate mineralized ground or for higher mineralized ground. It's a preset GB with two setting positions.

Druid
I would like to hear any reports from Time in the field, NBPT, depth comments, speed of response/recovery?

I've been lengthy so I'll cut it short here and simply say this. The Tesoro model line-up handles the Nail Board Performance Test quite well. Every detector I check out, from any manufacturer, gets put to the NBPT and, in every case, I want to see how close they come to matching the results I get from a good Tesoro. Naturally, search coil choice does factor in, but the 7" Precision Scan coil that comes with the Mojave is a very good coil. It's my 2nd pick from Tesoro after my preferred 6" Concentric coil.

Druid
What say you all who may have put in time with both detectors?

I picked up a Bandido 2 microMAX, re-acquired my old Eldorado, and bought both a Vaquero & Cibola just after the curtain began to close on Tesoro. These are not my frontline units but I like to collect some detectors just for fun and some are for in the mood laid back beep & dig outings.

I have certainly put in a lot of time with almost every Tesoro model, and from that time spent afield, my all-time favorite two Tesoro's are the Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX. I've had and used the Vaquero and Cibola and they are also OK detectors, but I don't like them as much as I do my two preferred models.

If I were to pick up another Tesoro, and not duplicate what I have, it would likely be a Mojave just to have on-hand as a loner-unit.

It looks like you have a good number of Tesoro's now, but if it were me I'd thin-the-herd and hang onto the-best-of-the-best. Naturally, I am a bit biased.smiling smiley

Monte

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 09:25AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro and White's ... Don't overlook their good analog detectors.

Monte 228 May 07, 2020 09:26AM

Tesoro veterans contrast Silver Sabre vs the last Tesoro; Mojave.

Druid 191 May 07, 2020 07:55PM

Re: Tesoro and White's ... Don't overlook their good analog detectors.

D&P-OR 166 May 07, 2020 10:32AM

Yes, the Bandido II µMAX has long been a 'must-have' for me.

Monte 172 May 07, 2020 12:53PM

Re: Yes, the Bandido II µMAX has long been a 'must-have' for me.

jmaryt 159 May 07, 2020 04:55PM

If I had a need for, or room for, just one more Tesoro,

Monte 169 May 08, 2020 05:00AM

Re: If I had a need for, or room for, just one more Tesoro,

Druid 149 May 08, 2020 03:23PM

Re: If I had a need for, or room for, just one more Tesoro,

jmaryt 149 May 08, 2020 09:17AM

26 Days and some good luck

UtahRich 142 May 08, 2020 09:13PM

24 Days and some bad luck sad smiley

UtahRich 125 May 11, 2020 06:01PM

Coils and coil cable lengths.

Monte 127 May 11, 2020 07:46PM

Re: 24 Days and some bad luck sad smiley

D&P-OR 123 May 11, 2020 06:19PM

24 Days and some bad luck sad smiley

UtahRich 121 May 11, 2020 06:59PM

Counting the 26 Days - - - Hoping for some good luck.

Monte 152 May 09, 2020 07:24AM

A little bad luck making preparations for WTHO

UtahRich 131 May 09, 2020 03:01PM

Re: A little bad luck & good

Sodbuster 121 May 11, 2020 08:44AM

Re: A little bad luck making preparations for WTHO

OregonGregg 129 May 09, 2020 08:51PM

UtahRich 122 May 10, 2020 10:20AM

Druid 123 May 09, 2020 06:36PM

A little bad luck discovered while making preparations for WTHO

UtahRich 120 May 09, 2020 09:13PM

Re: A little bad luck discovered while making preparations for WTHO

Druid 115 May 10, 2020 08:39AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 44
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020