Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yep! That's been my pick for 37 years now.thumbs up

June 21, 2020 04:50AM avatar
DirtDigger
Since they re-opened the playgrounds again, I took my Bandido ll Umax with the 7” precision coil to do a little tot lot hunting.
All that closure event sure cut in on having a lot of fun, especially when you have a lot of tot-lots in your region. Of course, one other issue is that way too many kids are busy sitting around and plumping up with their electronic toys and not out playing and getting some exercise. A decline in playground use over the past couple of decades has sure cut in on the tot-lot recoveries.

But there are exceptions to every rule and we do have some locations where sports fields and playgrounds still see some good summertime activity ... when there's no pandemic closure. I only have one park playground in my small town, with poor quality barkchip, and in a year's time I might see it used a half-dozen to maybe a dozen times, by perhaps 3 to 5 kids. So my tot-lot fun has to be worked in with my travels. Perhaps this afternoon I'll be able to work in my first tot-lot hunt since January, and by the end of July I hope a little vacation travel will reward me with several good-size playgrounds where they have been open for use for almost two months now.

In my Detector Outfit my primary-use tot-lot set-up is a Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX (µMAX) that keeps a 6" Concentric mounted full-time, or my Bandido II microMAX, also w/6" Concentric, if it's travelling with me.

DirtDigger
This combination can’t be beat for getting close to and around the metal playground structures.
The 'Prcision Scan' 7" off the Mojave is also a good coil pick and, like you said, it is tough to beat a Tesoro for being able to work in close to the metal structures. Too many other makes/models have too much side-effect when compared with a Tesoro and small coil. and that has always been one of the reasons I have enjoyed using such a Tesoro and small-coil set-up.

DirtDigger
Found a small silver earring that I probably would have skipped over with a screen ID detector.
Yep, another good reason to enjoy a simple yet efficient non-display detector.thumbs up I have hunted with a lot of people who use a visual display device and spend time waving over a good audio hit, just trying to make it look good on the display, then walking away when it didn't lock-on as a coin. Their loss, my gain.smiling smiley

DirtDigger
My three main detectors are the Bandido for playgrounds, the XP Deus for general purpose and the Equinox for beach and wet weather. For me this is a great combination that covers just about any situation.
I have my 6" Concentric equipped Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX and Bandido II µMAX specifically for tot-lot playgrounds, but they also do some general-purpose work in sidewalk repair or some iron littered renovation work I encounter.

For my 'get-serious' Relic Hunting sites where Iron Nails and other very dense ferrous debris drive most average hobbyists nuts (and away!) I rely on a Nokta CoRe w/small 'OOR' DD or Relic w/5" DD.

For 'general purpose' urban use where the areas are more open I have my 2nd CoRe w/5X9½ DD mounted, XP ORX w/5X9½ DD mounted, and Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD attached. I also use these three set-ups for 'scouting' purposes and hunting the 'fringe areas' of old ghost towns and similar dated sites.

My other units are a Nokta / Makro Simplex + with one wearing the stock 11" DD for plowed fields and other wide-open spaces, like the middle of big grassy parks. It's light and handy, very efficient, and since it is my waterproof unit it's great for times I might expect a summer thunderstorm shower or opt to work a beach area.

But regardless of what I own and use, it is a Tesoro w/small coil that is always grabbed to clean out the tot-lots. Now that things have eased up over your way Jim, I wish you the best of success when you get out hunting more. Such sites are often good at holding gold and silver jewelry.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro is the King for Tot Lots

DirtDigger 162 June 20, 2020 06:15PM

Yep! That's been my pick for 37 years now.thumbs up

Monte 111 June 21, 2020 04:50AM

Re: Agreed!! N/T

Dan'o 97 June 20, 2020 09:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 49
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020