Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rich, I answered this on the White's Forum, but here's my reply:

October 28, 2020 02:03PM avatar
Euro-Ban Pant-Sil Eliktroniks
by Etnom Nov Yrreb

I figured with all of the interest in foreign (to the USA) made detectors this past decade or two, I'd use that descriptive new business name. It all makes sense to me. The 'by' came about thanks to my mother. As a pre-schooler she taught us the alphabet ... forwards and backwards. Literally. Then a lot of times we'd talk in pig-Latin or by the time I was in 3rd and 4th grade we're spell out what we were saying rather than just pronounce the words. And for my birthday, I believe I was finishing 4th grade, we used a western or cowboy theme and everyone got to have a name of their favorite TV or movie character. I was 'Nidalap' and others also used a backwards name. My middle name is Von, thus, the new company is by Me, Etnom Nov Yrreb. I've had fun in years gone-by turning in papers at school and college where I referenced some of my sources as being that name.

UtahRich
Monte -

You just won the lottery and have acquired all rights to the Tesoro name, patents, factory and production equipment.

What is the first detector that you start designing/redesigning and producing ? And what features does it have that Tesoro already has in the arsenal? I.E. manual ground balance, silent search, ED120, autotune, volume / disc, target ID ? or just audio ? battery configuration, and so forth.

Rich

Then we come to the new Tesoro name, and I am sure it would be something different than what I posted, but the posted name suggestion related to my four favorite Tesoro models that I would want to offer in a new 4-model product line, but with a little bit of 'modern' enhancements. All the while trying to maintain the excellent Tesoro circuitry design concepts and in-the-field performance.

Euro-Ban Pant-Sil stands for: Euro related to the Euro-Sabre, Ban is naturally the Bandido II microMAX. Pant is short for Pantera which gave us a good Notch Disc. but more importantly a Tone-Break adjustment for 2-Tone audio, and last but not least is Sil for Silver Sabre microMAX.

Of these four models, just as initially designed, the Bandido II µMAX, Pantera and Euro-Sabre would feature Manual GB. The Silver Sabre µMAX would be a 'turn-on-and-go' model using an internal trimmer GB adjustment.

As designed, the Euro-Sabre used the ED-180 Disc. for full-range acceptance, the Pantera just a slightly less than ED-120 although it was labeled as such, and the Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX rely on the ED-120 Disc. circuitry. The only change I would make here is to the Pantera version which would go to ED-180 Disc, likely with a Low / High toggle selector. The user could select ED-120 or ED-180 to enhance the lower-end of the Disc adjustment range.

The Silver Sabre µMAX version would have Auto-tune for the All Metal Pinpoint function, but not too fast a re-tune speed. The other three would have a Manual Re-tune or Auto-Re-tune similar to the Bandido II µMAX replacement.

All would use a Silent-Search Disc. mode except for the Euro-Sabre version which might also provide variable Threshold level control from silent to an audible hum, kind of similar to the Fisher F5 design.

I would consider a VDI numeric read-out, but the added design and circuitry might limit it to the Euro-Sabre or Pantera versions. Depending upon the particular model, I might incorporate a variable Volume Control, although that is often handled by the headphones in use.

Buttery power. A popular topic with many, but I would likely eliminate 9-V batteries and only use AA batteries. Also, the battery housing would be located under the arm cup, and the ¼" headphone Jack would also be located at the rear of the device as well. No more corded headphone cables going to a rod-mounted control box.

Rich, as an avid user of the Multi-Frequency selectable XP Deus and SMF Minelab Equinox 800, I was kind of surprised you didn't ask about operating frequency or the consideration of Simultaneous Multi-Frequency operation. So let me touch on that easy-to-answer topic here.

I started using the Tesoro Inca when it was introduced in July of '83 and it operated at 12 kHz. Since '77 I had mainly been using models from Garrett, Gold Mountain and D-Tex that operated at 15 kHz and they worked terrific for a broad-spectrum of targets we generally are searching for. Tesoro concentrated most of the everyday detector models to be working at 10 kHz or 12 kHz, and the one exception is a 15 kHz model that also shared the same search coils, and that was the Golden Sabre Plus. The rest, other than Gold Nugget Hunting models were in that 10 kHz to 12 kHz range. (NOTE: I am referring to all the popular Tesoro's before the Vaquero & Cibola or the Tejón.

One of the more noted design engineers back then, who worked for White's and Bounty Hunter and helped form Discovery Electronics, was George Payne. He wrote a brilliant article regarding the selection of operating frequencies that would be best suited for the hobby-end metal detectors. Those used for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Beach Hunting and Relic Hunting. Considering the different coin conductivities from low US 5¢ to high-end Copper and Silver 1¢, 10¢, 25¢ and up to big Silver $1 coins, plus the wide range of Silver and especially Gold Jewelry, being a lower-conductive metal and smaller-size targets, he determined that the ideal 'general-purpose' operating frequency would be about 12.5 kHz.

That was the operating frequency of the models made by Discovery Electronics, and through the years I have found that most of the detectors I have used and that worked well for me, operate at ±2.5 kHz from that concept. In other words, from 10 kHz to 15 kHz. That includes all of my favorite Tesoro models, and so many others from various manufacturers. Going back to 1977 and continuing this presnt day.

I look at my current Detector Team and I have three 10 kHz Tesoro models, my Nokta FORS CoRe at 15 kHz, two of the excellent=performing Nokta / Makro Simplex + devices that operate at 12 kHz. I also have on-hand a Makro Racer 2 and White's MX-7 that work at 14 kHz, and I've acquired a 13 kHz Teknetics T2+ for the multi-model evaluations I am working on. Finally, I also have two of the new Garrett Apex units that are touted for having a MF function for SMF operation. However, the come out of the box at their default operating frequency of 15 kHz.

Thus, my comments regarding operating frequencies are these. I wouldn't offer an SMF, at least not initially. I have been getting along just fine for decades using a good Single Frequency model, and that's what most of my current Detector Team is based on. Many, many more avid detector users on down to newcomers also have fine results with a good single frequency model. They might stay at their current frequencies , but no doubt that they would all be in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range. Also, like today, they would all share the same assortment of search coils, and that's a very handy thing about them.

What other things would I do?:

• The Tesoro name would be gone. The new detector company would have a new name.

• The different Model names would most likely be changed, and wouldn't relate to locations such as 'Euro', etc.

• Totally gone and never to be used would be terms or symbols such as µ or µMAX or microMAX, or Pro or Plus or + or anything else that is mispronounced or over-used in this industry. No more names that have been way over-used on repeat model advancements such as: Coinmaster, Coldmaster, Classic, II or Two or 2, or frequent models with the same numbers such as 5000 or 6000 and so forth, or different models with 'Sabre' in them..

• Also, any search coils the new company offered would be named by their correct measurement and not some odd-ball and incorrect name. And if it is an elliptical or other 'Out-of-Round' shape it will be named with both the width and length, not just one of the numbers.

• Oh, and while I might produce some Double-D coils for the folks that are in love with that design, they will only be offered if they work well. Concentric search coils will be the standard coils used and the most available coil designs .... unless there is significant change in the circuitry design from what the original models offered.

• Maybe I forgot Tone ID. I would likely provide a Tone ID option to select 1, 2 or 3-Tone audio, and possibly a 4th Tone ID for some avid Coin Hunters .... if the design worked well afield.

I hope this helped answer some of your ponderings. Now, where's that lottery ticket?confused smiley I can't seem to find it and I have plans for a new detector business nowsmiling bouncing smiley.

Happy Hunting,

Etnom Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily-Use Team: F5 w/7" Con. .. Apex w/5X8 DD .. Apex w/NEL 5" DD .. Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD
Simplex + w/5X9½ DD .. Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Con.
Special-Use Team: CoRe w/'OOR' DD .. Relic w/5" DD .. XLT w/6½" Con. .. Bandido II µMAX w/6" Con.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Tesoro Resurrection - Monte just won the lottery

UtahRich 93 October 27, 2020 10:30PM

Rich, I answered this on the White's Forum, but here's my reply:

Monte 62 October 28, 2020 02:03PM

Re: Rich, I answered this on the White's Forum, but here's my reply:

OregonGregg 41 October 31, 2020 05:45AM

Re: Rich, I answered this on the White's Forum, but here's my reply:

Druid 36 October 30, 2020 09:35PM

I'd incorporate Iron Audio Volume on the ED-180 Disc. models with 2-Tone ID N/T

Monte 32 October 31, 2020 09:37PM

Re: Tesoro Resurrection - Monte just won the lottery

Timbertodd 53 October 28, 2020 07:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020