Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Picking out a Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX or Mojave?

October 29, 2020 11:18PM avatar
Druid: Those who use both, or have used both please comment on strengths of each, depth, recovery speed as tot lot and school yard units.
thanks,
drew.

Drew, I had to clarify which f the four Silver Sabre models I would compare with the Mojave, so I went with my favorite which also uses the microMAX control housing. I guess you were implying that model.

I have owned numerous Silver Sabre µMAX devices and a couple of the Mojave's. I am not thrilled with the 8" open-center brown coil that's standard on the Silver Sabre µMAX and don't even have one around for it. I mounted and only use a 6" Concentric on mine.

On the Mojave I really like the stock 'Precision' 7" Concentric coil. I swapped that 7" around with three Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX sinus and their 6" Concentric coils to see if I favored the 7" on the others. They all have very close / similar performance and since the 7" seemed to work great on the Mojave, that's where it stayed.

IF i had the $$$, as Rich had suggested, and i bought the former Tesoro holdings for model design, etc., one thing I would do is NOT us the dark brown housings and shiny gold rods. The rods were too shiny and so many different batches with a variety of hues made some of them look a bit ugly. I id like the black color used for a lot of the foreign-offered Tesoro's, and then used on the Troy Custom models and then the Mojave. The Mojave just had a better appearance to it, especially with the decal colors. That said, I wouldn't part with my Tesoro's because they are all matched up well, and y Silver Sabre µMAX has the brushed-finish rod on their last production and looks good.

A UtahRich mentioned, either the 6" or 7" Concentric coils would be just about ideal for tot-lot hunting or for general use in commonly trashy places. I never change search coils on my Silver Sabre µMAX, and didn't on my Mojave, either (other than for coil evaluation when I got it) and with the GB trimmer adjustment I made for th specific 6" coil I keep mounted full-time, I haven't experienced any issues anywhere i hunt, good ground to very mineralized ground.

However, on the Mojave I did experience some noisy behavior and eliminated it with a flip of the GB toggle to High for a ]higher GB setting. That is a useful function, as long as the internal circuitry is adjusted so the two settings work favorably. It is one design I would add to a Silver Sabre µMAX replacement.

Of course, with two similar models, if I added that switch to a Silver Sabre µMAX the only real difference would be the Push-button All Metal Pinpoint feature. No sense to dd it to the Mojave as it would then almost be a Silver Sabre µMAX.

On the other-hand, I might do just that, and add a Pinpoint to the Mojave and, in doing so, raise the MSRP a little more than the Silver Sabre µMAX because it would then have the added benefit of the ED-180 Disc. to the Silver Sabre µMAX ED-120 Disc.

So, decisions-decisions, and of the two, mainly thanks to the Pinpoint function of the Silver Sabre µMAX, it is the model I prefer of the two and keeping the 6" coil mounted. That said, should I come across a pristine Mojave for a terrific price I just might snap it up.smiling smiley

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Contrast Tesoro Silver Sabre vs Mojave

Druid 377 October 28, 2020 11:20AM

Silver Sabre µmax Attachments

OregonGregg 406 October 30, 2020 06:21AM

They are a "piece of art" but should be put-to-use! N/T

Monte 244 October 30, 2020 09:04AM

Picking out a Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX or Mojave?

Monte 304 October 29, 2020 11:18PM

Tesoro Silver Sabre vs Mojave

UtahRich 286 October 29, 2020 12:04AM

Re: Tesoro Silver Sabre vs Mojave

jmaryt 283 October 29, 2020 12:25AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021