Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Monte's reply regarding the Tesoro Eldorado's and Bandido's.

October 29, 2021 08:37AM avatar
Mon Valley Searcher

Monte, I am curious as to the performance, more so than operational, differences between the original Tesoro Eldorado (metal box), uMax Eldorado and the Bandido II uMax. I currently own a Bandido II uMax and am considering buying one of the Eldorados.

So many ways to consider an answer, or for an individual shopper to decide. There are the basics to think about, such as:

** What type of applications will the detector be used for?
1.. Urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting in modern-litter conditions.
2.. Urban hunting in grassy parks, schools, yards, etc.
3.. High coin concentrations of fast recovery such as Tot-Lots.
4.. Remote-sites for Relic Hunting in dense brush and heavy ferrous debris.
5.. Searches where the likelihood of potentially "deep" coins is the goal?

** Available and Desired search coil options:
A.. Concentric types.
B.. Double-D types.
C.. Smaller, Mid-Size and Larger choices.

** Importantly, what role does the particular detector play:
☆☆ The ONLY detector owned.
☆☆ An extra regular-use detector to 'complement' one or more other units.
☆☆ A 'specialty' detector for a specific type of application.

Eldorado & Bandido Similarities:

×× They all feature a Manual Ground Balanced All Metal mode, and the GB adjustment does carry-over or tie-in with the Disc. Mode GB.

×× All but one model features a manual-adjust Threshold control. The Bandido microMAX lacks a Threshold control.

×× All of them have a very similar Tesoro Quick-Response and Fast-Recovery which is well known for hunting in heavy trash.

Eldorado & Bandido Differences:

--> The original Eldorado and Bandido & Bandido II had 10-turn GB controls, but all models in the smaller microMAX housing had 3-3/4- turn controls.

--> The Eldorado had a normally accepted Disc.circuitry range (I'll double check when I get home), the four Bandido's featured the enhanced or expanded lower-end ED-120 Disc.range of acceptance, and the last Eldorado in the small microMAX housing had the ED-180 range to accept all ferrous and non-ferrous targets.

--> The last Bandido, the II microMAX, and the last Eldorado in the same small housing, also featured Tesoro's new Low-Noise / High-Gain circuitry.

OBSERVED DIFFERENCE as-per MY USE and OPINIONS:

I started out with Tesoro's mainly using the Inca and went to the original Eldorado when it came out. I was a Dealer so that was one reason, but I found my Inca to be more comfortable, and also to work better so I kept using the Inca until the original Bandido came out. Then my Inca was a 'back-up' as the Bandido became my main-use detector. Part of the reason was better balance, part was easier control use, and the main part was the new ED-120 Disc. range it introduced.

I spent 85% of my detecting time working very high Iron Nail and other ferrous debris sites and found the Bandido and Bandido II to perform quite well and do an excellent job of unmasking closely-located keepers. If hunting cleaner sites, I could select the Threshold-based All Metal mode to search.

When the small-box Eldorado was introduced, I quickly got one in for evaluation, and for a couple of locations I hunted I did like the performance. They were lower trash and I got very good performance with the ED-180 Disc. circuitry. However, when I worked it in my all-time favorite ghost town that produced hundreds of old coins for me to fill four binders of 2X2 carded coins, the microMAX housed Eldorado didn't work as well because it was noisier or chirpier and I couldn't manually adjust the Disc. level to be as quiet and provide performance like the first two Bandido models, or even the Bandido II microMAX.

Since I have a great assortment of detectors, I have units to give me Eldorado type performance with both a quieter and smoother Disc. mode performance, and also been Detection Depth than the Eldorado, if desired.

While the original Bandido and Bandido II can do a wee bit better at unmasking than the 2nd Eldorado or Bandido II microMAX in a dense array of ferrous trash, that Eldorado and Bandido II microMAX have an edge on depth and a more saturated audio in the Disc. mode, which for me is very good.

To conclude regarding performance:

I personally preferred the Silver Sabre microMAX and Bandido II microMAX for my wants and needs and chosen sites. I used to also have the microMAX housed Eldorado, but my other detectors provide better complements to them, at least for me, so I let my last Eldorado go about six years ago.

It's really a personal call. In YOUR case, maybe the last Eldorado would make a really good working tool for your site selections and needs. ????

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Monte... Tesoro Question

Mon Valley Searcher 109 October 27, 2021 02:29PM

My take...

Mon Valley Searcher 42 October 29, 2021 04:29PM

Monte's reply regarding the Tesoro Eldorado's and Bandido's.

Monte 53 October 29, 2021 08:37AM

Re: Monte... Tesoro Question

SvenS 51 October 29, 2021 04:32AM

Re: Monte... Tesoro Question

Druid 55 October 28, 2021 05:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021