Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good looks, rods, and search coils.

February 06, 2022 10:29AM avatar
kac, I like the photo because the Cibola looks 'normal' and I prefer that to seeing some of the odd modifications some detectors go through. I trust all is working well for you with the Cibola.

I've had to use different rods at times through the years , usually just to keep a spare coil mounted on a rod for quick coil changes afield. I rook a look in my Accessory Coil Tote to see if I had any spare middle rods for a Tesoro for you, but I don't. My ACT keeps extra coils, rods, and any arm cups I might need when I have them around.

Search coils are another detector part that have a lot of considerations all their own. Some are too big, for some folks and where they usually hunt. Some are open-frame and some are solid. We will find some coils a lot thicker than 'average' or surprisingly thin, and some will have a heavy feel and poor balance than expected for their size. Often, the balance of a coil, or a cause for it to be 'floppy' or easily bumped out of level-with-the-ground alignment, is due to having the rod-mount 'ears' too far to the rear of the coil instead of more centered. Then, since we all have varying opinions about things, some search coils just might be good looking or ugly.

I know there are some aftermarket coils I have used that worked excellent on the detectors they were made for. Spot-on VDI read-outs that were just like the detector-maker's own coils. But the rod mount location I didn't care for or, most often, the search just felt too heavy for it size .... and remember, I favor smaller coils to mid-size coils so a heavy coil is easily noticeable. And heavy, awkward coils can cause fatigue to set in sooner when you've planned a longer detecting session, or if your health is more sensitive to the poor weight-and-balance.

Final comments related to your Tesoro, or honestly most Tesoro's and many other makes and models, and that is the search coil 'type'. I have used detectors since the early '70s that had a Double-D coil, and today that's what is on my Apex, Racer 2, FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Patriot units. I am trying to track down a 5" DD for the Racer 2, but also find a 7" Concentric for it and that's what will likely stay mounted on the Racer 2 most of the time. Also, I am trying to find a 5" DD and a 3X6½ Concentric for the Patriot, and if the elliptical coils works as I hope, then that Concentric will stay mounted on it, too.

I keep a 7" Concentric mounted on the Inca, and a 6" Concentric on my Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX because, for me and most of the hunting I do, I have found a Concentric coil to provide the best all-around performance on most Tesoro's. On one of our earlier WTHO's in NE Nevada ghost towns, where we encounter a lot of Iron Nails and other small annoying ferrous and non-ferrous debris, Ryan K. showed up with a Tesoro Tejón he had just acquired with three extra search coils. I had only seen him using his XP Deus on former hunts, and the afternoon before the Outing started he had hunted a site and found a silver Barber 10¢.

On prior Outings, and when we had been at a motel or someplace he had seen me do some detector demonstrations or heard my comments about Tesoro's and how well they had performed for me at those and other sites with a lot of Iron Nails, etc., so he decided to get one. Maybe it was because he was used to using a DD coil on his XP Deus, or perhaps other detectors, or just some of the typical talk we hear and read about DD coils, but he ended up getting the Tejón with three extra coils. The newer Tesoro 8X11 DD, the 6X10 DD elliptical that is standard on the Lobo SuperTRAQ, and a similar-looking NEL Sharpshooter 5X9½ DD.

He pulled off the dirt road that cuts through the old townsite of Tecoma, and in a reasonably clear spot he got out with one of my Nail Board tests. He placed it on the ground, and instead of a 1¢ coin he placed his found Barber 10¢ in that center position and proceeded to check out his new-to-him Tejón with the 8X11 DD. He first Ground Balanced to the adjacent soil and made the four different sweep routes. Terrible! He was surprised at the very poor performance that only gave one or two beeps out of the possible 8 from sweeping each direction on the four marked routes.

Perhaps too large a coil covering too many nails? He switched to the elliptical DD from a Lobo ST and, after ground balancing, checked out his silver 10¢ surrounded by those four nails. Once again, not a good result with his Tesoro, so he swapped to the NEL Sharpshooter, GBed, and was once again let down by the performance of his Tesoro Tejón with those three different DD coils. I was hunting close by when he started so as I worked close to watch his testing and hear his comments, I made a statement and asked a question. I said I generally preferred a Concentric coil with a Tesoro, and I asked if he happened to get the 6" Concentric for the Tejón?

Ryan said no, he only had those three DD coils ... and the stock coil that came with it. Really, I asked. That coil is also a bigger-size than I typically use, but it was the 8X9 ('OOR') Concentric coil and I suggested he give it a try. It looks bigger than two of the DD elliptical coils, and has a Concentric coil's electromagnetic field instead of the so-called 'knife-blade' DD coil (which really isn't the EMF of a DD coil), and he mounted that coil to give it a test. BAM! It was hitting on his Silver 10¢ in all or almost every sweep direction!! Not a change in detector or settings, only a change from a Double-D coil to a Concentric coil and what a difference it can make ... on some detectors, especially most Tesoro's.

I had a couple of Tesoro Vaquero's that came with the 8X11 DD and I tried both a 6" DD and 6" Concentric coil. You can guess which one worked the best in several Iron contaminated old sites I enjoyed hunting. If you have a Concentric of comparable size to a DD, give them a try on several test scenarios as well as some in-the-field hunting. Might be interesting to hear what you experience.

Anyway, just some comments, and your Cibola 'project' looks very good.thumbs up

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Time Ranger Pro .. F75+ .. F19 .. Apex .. Racer 2 .. EQ-800 .. FORS Relic .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Cibola GB question

kac 392 January 06, 2022 11:04AM

Re: Cibola GB question

GeoW 428 January 17, 2022 06:42PM

GeoW, a good question and really 'on topic'.

Monte 190 January 17, 2022 07:41PM

Re: GeoW, a good question and really 'on topic'.

GeoW 164 January 23, 2022 03:53PM

The Cibola is a 'fixed' GB model. Not 'automatic'.

Monte 514 January 07, 2022 09:15PM

Re: The Cibola is a 'fixed' GB model. Not 'automatic'.

kac 194 January 08, 2022 09:52AM

Re: The Cibola is a 'fixed' GB model. Not 'automatic'. Attachments

kac 178 January 16, 2022 09:04PM

Joe D. 175 January 17, 2022 12:36AM

kac 175 January 17, 2022 12:15PM

Machines all back together Attachments

kac 171 February 05, 2022 12:15AM

Good looks, rods, and search coils.

Monte 174 February 06, 2022 10:29AM

Re: Good looks, rods, and search coils.

kac 123 February 08, 2022 04:12PM

Re: Good looks, rods, and search coils. Attachments

EL NINO 136 February 14, 2022 12:04PM

Love the Stone Mountain Comm Half! N/T

GeoW 97 February 15, 2022 10:23PM

kac 163 February 15, 2022 12:33PM

kac 82 April 06, 2022 07:47PM

Search coils and detector performance sure can get interesting..

Monte 124 February 14, 2022 07:43PM

Joe D. 145 February 09, 2022 12:22AM

GeoW 125 February 12, 2022 11:24AM

Re: Good looks, rods, and search coils.thumbs up N/T

kac 114 February 18, 2022 03:19PM

thumbs up Re: Good looks, rods, and search coils. N/T

kac 111 February 09, 2022 12:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23