Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

kac, a few Tesoro shopping comments.

July 17, 2022 10:33PM avatar
There are a few things I always look for, especially since I like my units to be 'as-new' or pristine condition.

1.. Look at screws and any exposed metal hardware to see if it is rusty or discolored from being exposed to water, especially salt-water or mist / moisture at a saltwater beach.

2.. Sometimes a control face can have a decal with control descriptions and settings, or it might be printed right on the control face. Look for any damage to the lettering / numbers / lines or dots, etc.

3.. I always check the side decals. Quite often I notice units that have been tossed around or loaded haphazardly in a vehicle, or just treated roughly and the decals can be badly scratched, peeling in places, or bits have been torn or cut off near pointed decal areas. On occasion they were so bad that the owner simply peeled all of the decal off exposing the bare plastic housing.

4.. I also check the condition of the arm cup, the arm cup foam, and the grip foam.

5.. The rods could also be bent or badly scratched and that's something I do not want.

6.. I always look at all the controls and any crevices or around switchers, screws, etc., etc., for dirt or sand that hasn't been cleaned away.

7.. Finally the search coil. Usually the mounting 'ears' of a Tesoro coil are fine, but look for rough condition wear, such as scratches on the bottom from being 'scrubbed' which they shouldn't be, or dings and nicks / chips on the coil's edge, and any damage to the top of the coil or any decal.

I have little interest in a rough-condition detector. When I was living in Texas last August a fellow made the 3½ hour drive from near Fort Worth to my place to buy a choice-condition Bandido II µMAX. I had two of them and he could pick the one he liked, which he did after noting that you couldn't see any difference between them. Both 'showroom condition'. Word spread to another fellow looking for a Bandido II µMAX and in September a guy made a 3 hour drive from some town off to the west of me to buy the other one. I do not mind hanging onto a pristine unit because there is a demand for them, especially in beautiful condition and working great.

As Timbertodd mentioned, the 3rd model, the µ Bandido, worked and I was also a Tesoro Dealer at the time and I found a good number of coins. But I did better with my original Bandido or the Bandido II, and much better with the Bandido II µMAX when it was released. Having the Threshold control made a lot of difference for me because I used the Pinpoint function a lot, and when I hunted in All Metal it was a must-have. And while it worked, it lacked an important control, and was a bit wimpier than the others so it wasn't a favorite of mine.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my chosen makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
F-19 .. Racer .. Vanquish 540 .. FORS Relic .. Inca .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. Bandido II µMAX .. XLT
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Bandito questions

kac 286 July 17, 2022 02:37PM

kac, a few Tesoro shopping comments.

Monte 209 July 17, 2022 10:33PM

Re: kac, a few Tesoro shopping comments.

kac 218 July 18, 2022 04:32PM

A Discrimination correction.

Monte 213 July 18, 2022 05:06PM

Re: A Discrimination correction.

kac 165 July 19, 2022 10:52AM

kac, back to you.

Monte 199 July 19, 2022 11:31AM

Re: kac, back to you.

kac 99 July 19, 2022 01:32PM

Re: Bandito questions

Timbertodd 244 July 17, 2022 06:42PM

DW-BGW 260 July 17, 2022 06:51PM

Timbertodd 172 July 17, 2022 07:09PM

Of the four (4) Bandido models, my thoughts are:

Monte 130 July 17, 2022 04:19PM

Re: Of the four (4) Bandido models, my thoughts are: Attachments

kac 138 July 17, 2022 04:33PM

Re: Of the four (4) Bandido models, my thoughts are:

kac 181 July 17, 2022 07:48PM

Re: Of the four (4) Bandido models, my thoughts are:

Timbertodd 118 July 17, 2022 07:58PM

Thanks, I agree N/T

kac 199 July 18, 2022 04:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30