Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Joe, you received a favorite of mine, to be sure. thumbs up

December 13, 2022 01:53PM avatar
I have a very nice condition Tesoro Inca, and that's the model that got me to s3witch over in July of '83. There were several good Tesoro models, but both the Silver Sabre µ(micro) MAX and Bandido II µMAX were introduced in October of '97 and I have maintained a detector group that keeps each on them in it and at-the-ready.

By 'ready' I mean they keep a preferred search coil mounted full-time that I would use the most. That would the white-colored, thin, 6" Concentric. I actually have two Silver Sabre µMAX units. One hanging here in my den with the other detectors I can load up when off on a de3tecing jaunt, and the 'extra' Silver Sabre µMAX is a 'ride-along' unit that stays in my vehicle full-time.

Search coil decisions? Well, I will share my thoughts on that which are determined by decades of hunting, My personal picks for where I like to hunt. Generally I prefer a smaller-size coil, with only a few exceptions, because I am most often searching a trashy location. Tot-Lots, a well used picnic area, old gathering sites, ghost towns and homesteads, renovation work, etc., etc.

My current detectors here in my den are equipped with a 5", 6", 6½", 7", 5X8 and 5X9¾ coil. Five of the eight I have use a 5", 6" or 6½" coil.

In the Tesoro group I have the Inca w/7", Silver Sabre µMAX w/6", Bandido II µMAX w/6" and I do not have a single brown 8" Concentric anywhere because the coils I have mounted do what I need.

I do NOT use a Double-D coil on any Tesoro I own because I found that most Tesoro's with a DD coil do not work as well as they do with a Concentric coil.

My Favorite Tesoro coils are:
a.. The 6" Concentric.
b.. The thin-profile 7" Precision Concentric that came with the Mojave.
c.. The 'original' thicker 7" Concentric I like on the Inca.

For most everyday applications I like Tesoro's ED-120 Discrimination, like on your Silver Sabre µMAX, which roughly has a Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break-point just barely into the Non-Ferrous range with the Disc. set at 'minimum', and that is the only Disc. setting I ever use ... at the minimum setting. Generally it rejects most Iron debris unless it has a more conductive nature to it due4 to how man designed it. Disc. is always set to 'minimum'.

The Sensitivity control is only tied in and working with the Discriminate mode. It doesn't function with an All Metal Pinpoint mode. With almost any detector make or model, I always run with my Sensitivity at Maximum, and I only reduce the Sensitivity if the detector is noisy and chirpy and unstable when the search coil is near the ground in a typical search position. If needed, I only drop the Sensitivity, slowly, to the point where the detector is stable.

These Tesoro's are at their best with a slow and comfortable sweep speed. I do not use, or suggest, a very fast-motion sweep with a Tesoro.

Do not scrub the search coil. Work it parallel with the ground, and keep it ± 1" from the ground.

Enjoy your Tesoro. If you coil is thin and white it is likely the 6". If it is thicker, about and inch or so, and white, it might be the 7". If it is the thin 'Precision' 7" that is black, then that's a coil many users would like to find. That is the one that was standard on the Mojave,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my chosen makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
F-19 .. Racer .. Vanquish 540 .. FORS Relic .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. Bandido II µMAX .. XLT
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Silver Sabre Umax and coils

Joe in alabama 116 December 12, 2022 06:02PM

Re: Silver Sabre Umax and coils

Joe in alabama 93 December 13, 2022 07:03PM

Joe, you received a favorite of mine, to be sure. thumbs up

Monte 250 December 13, 2022 01:53PM

jmaryt 98 December 12, 2022 07:55PM

GeoW 125 December 14, 2022 01:01PM

True, I forgot about the Super 7 Inch. thumbs up N/T

Monte 74 December 14, 2022 02:50PM

D&P-OR 110 December 14, 2022 02:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

kac
Guests: 23