Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rick(UK) once again we have something in common.

January 14, 2018 08:20AM avatar
I definitely could have a lot more detectors around, if I would have held on to so many ant nor parted with them. One White's was a real problem issue for me, and that was the XLT. I really do like that model and when I let my first one go thinking I could get along without it, I soon acquired another. Then I moved on to something new or different and the XLT was seeing very little use and I sold or traded it to acquire a new toy to check out ... then got another XLT.

That happened a lot and I went through 23 XLT's until I parted with the last of that run and figured I wouldn't need another because I had a good set of models that were a terrific 'fit' in my detector battery. Then in a moment of strolling down memory lane a few years ago I latched onto another, parted with it, then got another, and that continued until I owned, then finally parted with my last XLT.. Number 29.

Along the way I let some go to experience the DFX, and after owning four or five of those I found they just didn't work as well for me and where I hunt as did the XLT, which is why some of those I put back in my detector group. I still like the XLT, and I really like the MXT Pro / All-Pro and they can all work where I want them to, but I have been trimming my arsenal, as a whole, to only those models that provide all the performance I want or need and also the features/functions I want, and most especially are lighter and well balanced.

My impaired mobility and back and neck pain are cutting in on my opportunities to enjoy this great sport for long durations so I have to be attentive to weight and balance, and one relatively light and potentially functional detector I had just didn't seem to work well for me. I tried to like it for a wide range of applications, but there were just too many little design glitches that annoyed me. Adjustments that misbehaved and didn't work as they should have, and as hard as I tried to get along with that unit and the coils I had for it, it just wasn't going to happen.

So, kept well pampered like all my detectors, I was able to let it go for a decent amount and put the $$$ towards something that was better for me. And that model was also the Troy Custom Shadow X5. Flaws in the Ground Balance and Discrimination circuitries. I always had better overall success with the Tesoro models I compared it against.

I took a detecting jaunt to give it a go and traveled with the X5, two favorite Tesoro's, and a modified White's Classic III SL and modified IDX Pro to four states and hunted ghost towns, building tear-down sites and renovation in several urban environments, and even did some everyday Coin Hunting at parks, schools and parking strips. Got back home and it was soon with the 'For Sale or Trade' detectors.

Today I have my current four favorite brands, three especially, and figured I would just support the brands I own and favor with specific Forums. I also know there are many savvy detecting enthusiasts who also use models from these manufacturers and it will give them an opportunity to share their thoughts or questions about them. So I definitely welcome your contributions to any of them, especially the write-up you plan to do on the White's Metal Detector Forum.

Anyone with some off-brand to what I like and use, such as a Minelab or Garrett or Bounty Hunter or Fisher or ??? can post topic specific questions on the General Metal Detecting Forum and we'll reserve Makro/Nokta, Tesoro and White's discussions to their specific Forums and see how things go. I'll be watching for your contributions in the future. 'Thank You.'

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Way to go Monte! A new place for Tesoro Fansthumbs up

Hombre 486 January 11, 2018 09:14PM

Re: Way to go Monte! A new place for Tesoro Fansthumbs up

RickUK 336 January 13, 2018 09:20PM

Thanks, Rick(UK), and I'm pleased to support the brands

Monte 353 January 14, 2018 07:23AM

Re: Thanks, Rick(UK), and I'm pleased to support the brands

RickUK 305 January 14, 2018 07:37AM

Rick(UK) once again we have something in common.

Monte 312 January 14, 2018 08:20AM

Rdunzl 300 January 12, 2018 07:27PM

Hombre 343 January 12, 2018 08:55PM

No need for a Forum name change here.

Monte 340 January 16, 2018 06:19AM

SvenS 295 January 14, 2018 05:08PM

Rdunzl 300 January 12, 2018 09:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018