Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Cortés in 2001 and DeLeón in 2003.

March 18, 2018 01:42PM
Monte
Hihosilver reported the same dates of introduction I have recorded. They were interesting efforts on Tesoro's part, and I have owned both. Even got a 2nd Cortés after my first one was fixed, then I tweaked it so it would work without falsing and eventually sold it. I tried a 2nd but it also left me feeling like they just didn't really understand how to be competitive in the market, and that was back then. I knew a fellow who wanted to try it so I unhesitantly let it go. I don't think he had it more than a month and moved on to better detectors, ... for a lower MSRP, too.

The DeLeón I hoped might work better and the display was larger and easier to see, but it has its failings, too, part of which is the internally preset Ground Balance. The Cortés is preset for the Disc. mode, and that caused problems with search coil changes, but the DeLeón has a preset for All Metal mode as well. They were over-priced at introduction, with the Cortés priced the same as White's upper-end XLT, and a couple hundred more than the XL Pro and other models.

Today, the list price of the DeLeón, that only has 5 TID range segments, fixed GB and limited adjustment features, has a retail price $100 more than the Makro Racer 2 which is a far more feature, more versatile, and better performing detector. The new White's MX-7 is also a more modern and better-performing model for the same MSRP as the DeLeón.

Don't get me wrong, I have long admired quite a few Tesoro models, and I have my favorites and keep at least two in my working detector battery. They work great for many applications. But I don't care to own there current TID offerings that are outdated, under-featured and/or over-priced. Oh, they will work, as long and the Ground Balance is tweaked for the search coils that are being used on them. I'd much prefer to see Tesoro get the engineering needed and the funds to do the R&D necessary to bring out a more modern, and more competitive, TID model.

Just my opinions,

Monte

The MX-7 does look good. I keep going back and forth on it vs. the Deleon. Your insights are very helpful Monte. It will be awhile before I buy a TID machine. I just acquired the Mohave las fall and really need to get out with it. I also have the Golden Micromax which I enjoy, especially with the 7” WS, which gives me 4 very clear distinctive tones, but limits depth... a fun detector in the parks. My next detector will without doubt be the Black Vaquero, I’m hoping by mid summer.

I would like to see a good review of the Vaquero by you Monte. If you have done one, perhaps you could post a link?
Subject Author Views Posted

How long has the DeLeon and Cortes models been out? N/T

Rwjr13 383 March 18, 2018 08:42AM

Cortés in 2001 and DeLeón in 2003.

Monte 357 March 18, 2018 12:26PM

Re: Cortés in 2001 and DeLeón in 2003.

Hihosilver 336 March 18, 2018 01:42PM

A 'Hiho' reply.

Monte 371 March 18, 2018 03:43PM

Re: How long has the DeLeon and Cortes models been out?

Hihosilver 280 March 18, 2018 11:30AM

Looking at TID .

Rwjr13 272 March 18, 2018 02:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018