Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The video you are referring to, I believe, is in question.

April 09, 2018 08:18AM avatar
I have a Mojave in my 'Detector Team' and it is a very functional detector, very typical of the proven Tesoro performance I have enjoyed for almost thirty-five years now. Once you learn some of the audio characteristics of the Tesoro models you can often audibly 'classify' some targets, especially those that are ferrous-based from non-ferrous targets.

However, I believe you're referring to a video I saw last year done by a dealer down in California that tried to purport the ability to tell the difference between a US 5¢ coin and a Pull Tab, but I never saw that successfully demonstrated. Besides, the old ring-pull tabs and modern rectangular pry-tabs are not ferrous-based, and they can have a fairly broad range of conductive properties, but many of them closely duplicate that which we get from a 5¢ coin. This is especially true with the bulk of the rectangular pry-tabs that have been in use for quite a long time now.

I heard from a few people who saw that particular video and they didn't see how he was able to separate and 'classify' a problem pry-tab from a US 5¢ coin. Even the most modern, sophisticated, and much more expensive digital Target ID detectors can't accurately handle that chore so you can't expect the low-cost non-display Mojave to do it well, either.

desertsmith
Sorry the guy was using a gold ring, not a nickel.
When I read your post I didn't go back to find a specific video, I only went on memory and I recall a video last year where a fellow tried to distinguish a tab from a nickel coin. I also watched the one where they tried to show the difference between a 5¢ coin and a gold ring response, and that is possible, IF the gold ring is of a smaller-thinner design with a lower conductivity, or a larger-size and higher-conductive design.

But so many of the gold rings I have found over the past many decades have conductive properties that are the same as or very close to that of the nickel coin that you can't expect to audibly distinguish between similar-responding targets.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Mojave questions?

desertsmith 562 April 08, 2018 08:08PM

Re: Mojave questions?

slingshot 292 June 24, 2018 01:47PM

Hombre 383 April 10, 2018 08:21AM

SvenS 375 April 14, 2018 08:24AM

desertsmith 314 April 12, 2018 06:13PM

The video you are referring to, I believe, is in question.

Monte 425 April 09, 2018 08:18AM

Re: The video you are referring to, I believe, is in question.

desertsmith 332 April 09, 2018 01:15PM

desertsmith 313 April 09, 2018 05:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018