Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sven, about the GB & Disc. adjustments with a Sidewinder µMAX.

July 29, 2018 07:13AM
On the Silver Sabre micromax, the 3 3/4 turn external GB 100k pot gave me about 3/4 turn useful ground balance about 35K adjustment. Basically anything past 50K was way to positive and anything below 12K was too negative. Not useful at all. Factory fixed GB 100k trimpot was set at 24.8k. What I did was change the 100k to a 50k 3 3/4 turn to see what would happen. That gives me full 3 3/4 turns of rotation from 0-50k. Made a world of difference in GB'ing getting the GB spot on. What I found with the 50K, you can't go too far positive or too far negative. And I still can ground balance over magnetic black sands.

This might just be a particular issue with the Silver Sabre. Tesoro used 100k trimpot to factory tune the GB. Schematics show 100k. If it was meant to be an external control with finer adjustment then the correct value would have been 50K as found on other Tesoro units. So anyone who was doing an external GB mod by replacing the onboard 100k trimpot with the same value 100k multi-turn external pot, will find the detector will not work as intended and think they messed up the detector.

My friends' Silver Sabre micromax that is sitting here modified with external GB, switchable to fixed. Switchable to hunt in AM or Disc modes really works great now. After making the 100k to 50k pot change over.

Since the Sidewinder was bought cheap, figured I would play with a few mods and see if I can get it to be close to the SS in performance. My friend won't sell the Silver Sabre micromax back to me. It was pretty hot stock, when I reluctantly sold it to him several years ago.

The Sidewinder is coming with the wide scan coil but, found a cheap 8" brown donut for it. Not sure if the WS coil is going to be worth keeping.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I dig it with a Nokta/Makro product.
Impact.....M-Kruzer.....now Anfibio-Multi
Subject Author Views Posted

So I picked up a Sidewinder umax

SvenS 297 July 28, 2018 02:58PM

Sven, about the GB & Disc. adjustments with a Sidewinder µMAX.

Monte 221 July 28, 2018 09:22PM

Re: Sven, about the GB & Disc. adjustments with a Sidewinder µMAX.

SvenS 183 July 29, 2018 07:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018