Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you, George.

February 28, 2020 09:17AM avatar
glabelle
I will bring the AT Gold.
Just don't forget that small 4½" Concentric for the densest trash.

glabelle
It does not have "iron audio", as one would expect - you cannot adjust the volume, but you can turn the iron "grunt" on or off if you wish. Frankly, as you pointed out with the Impact, in nail infested sights, you really don't want to hear that anyway - would drive you nuts after a while. Since, in a lot of nails, with discrimination set critically for nails, you'll still get some "blips" once in a while reminding you the nails are still there.
Every so often a manufacturer comes out with a nutty design, physical or electronic, that seems like a bad idea. That Iron Audio report is one of them.

glabelle
The AT Gold Passes every iron test I could throw at it, as well as the Impact.
In that case it should help your confidence level. All that will be left to do is work the coil slowly and methodically, remembering to recover all 'iffy' signals to good signals .... then put the coil over a desired target. It's always that simple, but the latter part doesn't always happen.

glabelle
So, the only remaining *real* problem with it is the balance. I will be working on that. Since the detector is 1 lb. less than the Impact or MXT, there's wiggle room to improve it with a counterweight.
Weight and balance are important topics to check out. I like to use the best smaller-size search coils, th keep the rod at the most efficient and comfortable extension. That generally takes care of things and I have a well-balanced detector to use for a prolonged time. It's one of the things I've had to be attentive to as I have trimmed my working detector outfit down to the most comfortable detectors I could acquire.

I know a 'counter-balance' might help, but it does add additional weight, just redistributed for balance.

glabelle
Minelab Equinox 800 (fiberglass shafts w/counterweight) 6”DD & 11”DD
Minelab Equinox 600 (fiberglass shafts w/counterweights) 11”DD
Whites Goldmaster GMT 4x6” Shooter DD, others
Whites TDI-SL (w/ Li-ION battery) 3 coils
Whites MXT Pro (w/Li-Ion battery) 4 coils
Whites 6000di Series III 8”CC
Whites Classic III 8”CC
Nokta Impact Pro 5” DD, 7” CC, 11x7” DD, 7.5x4” DD
Teknetics Delta 8” CC
Garrett AT Gold 5” CC
Teknetics G2+ 11” & 5” DD
Teknetics Delta 8”CC
Quite a list of detectors, and up in number to where, or almost where, I was in my inventory year ago. That included a few duplicate models, too. I've been thinning down some of the duplicate, have added two more since last fall, but have a very functional Outfit to satisfy my needs. I don't need a PI (other than a Pinpointer) and IF I get into Gold Nugget Hunting country my Nokta Relic can handle it fine. So all I have, as I trim things up, are my dedicated Relic Hunting, 'Cross-Over' and Coin & Jewelry Hunting detectors:

Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' and 5X9½ DD coils
Nokta FORS Relic w/5" and 5X9½ DD coils
XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil
Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric coil

Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD coil
Minelab Vanquish 540 w/9X12 DD coil

XP ORX w/9" X35 DD coil
Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Concentric coil
Nokta / Makro Simplex + w/11" DD coil .. until they release new smaller coils

Fisher F44 w/5" DD and 7" Concentric coils .. useable, but mainly a 'loaner-unit'

All of them have one thing in common ...
Like me, they are all awaiting comfortably warm weather days to go play! Like June's 3rd thru 7th Outing in Nevada.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540 / CoRe, Relic & Simplex + / Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX / XLT / ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Garrett MS-3 Z-Lynk
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from Garrett ...

Monte 187 February 28, 2020 06:17AM

Re: Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from Garrett ...

jmaryt 118 February 28, 2020 11:00PM

They are at a point to come up with something.

Monte 110 February 29, 2020 07:52AM

Re: Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from Garrett ...

glabelle 125 February 28, 2020 07:33AM

Back to you, George.

Monte 123 February 28, 2020 09:17AM

Re: Back to you, George.

glabelle 136 February 28, 2020 09:22AM

thumbs up N/T

Monte 72 February 29, 2020 07:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018