Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

j.t., I do plan to get one in my hands as soon as possible for evaluation.

May 17, 2020 12:37AM avatar
I am interested because I like the new physical package, and I am curious how their "multi-frequency" works afield. Curious how it will perform at the different selectable frequencies. Also wondering how they programed the different 'modes' with regard to response-and-recovery, and if there is much difference between them mode-to-mode. It's all the unknowns at this point because we don't have one in-hand yet.

As for working for an 'average' urban Coin & Jewelry Hunter, it might be reasonably good, and if they improved the audio as well as recovery times I hope it is better than the Ace 400 which was terrible. I do see this as possibly being an overall improvement over the Ace series, however, the initial videos have me wondering about it.

An Iron Audio Volume adjustment can be useful ... IF it has a 'normal' Iron Audio, but many models I enjoy have a faster response and processing time for Iron whereas the Garrett Iron Audio function on their more recent entries is most annoying. It has a longer, delayed response-and-recovery compared with a non-ferrous target such as a coin. Watch the video demonstration of a coin and a nail. Notice the longer Iron Audio ring-time and processing time? If it is always that way, it doesn't matter if it is a loud, medium or low Volume, it is still as delayed and drug-out Iron Audio response.

It is a 5-Tone detector, like the Minelab Vanquish, and that's only 5 Tones when you are working at or close to '0' Disc. to process all conductivity ranges from Iron to high-conductive copper or silver targets. The operator has no Tone ID options. Compare that with the lower-priced Nokta / Makro Simplex + (at about a 60% MSRP of the APEX), and it really isn't that fair a comparison, and the Simplex + provides a 2-Tone Field mode, 2-Tone Beach mode, and two 3-Tone urban Coin Hunting modes with Park 1 and Park 2. The coming APEX has two Coin modes, one for International and the other marked with USA Target ID segments. With the Simplex + the Park 1 is designed with Tone breaks and behavior more for USA coinage, and the Park 2 mode is often more fitting for the 'foreign' or 'non-USA' Coin Hunters, although either will work anywhere w/o annoying US ID icons.

The APEX will have to be used to listen to the audio signal to determine if it is a more 'processed' audio or 'proportional' which is a term they used several times. Sometimes we can have too many adjustments to make or tinker with, such as a VCO audio. With a 'processed' audio, like on the 3-Tone of the Nokta family of models like the Core, Relic, Impact, Racer 2, the others and the Simplex + is just that. 'Processed' or defined tones based on the processed received signal and tone breaks.

Is the APEX 'Relic' mode also a 5-Tone function? I know many of us like to have a 2-Tone mode to hunt many places, especially Iron Nail type contaminated sites. But if the new Garrett is only 5-Tone, and there's no user adjustment, you don't have a 2-Tone ID option. You do have that with many competitive makes and models, such as the CoRe, Relic, Racer 2, Impact, MXT Pro, and a selectable option with other models like a T2. Most of the 2-Tone functions also have a VCO enhanced audio that can provide additional audio information.

Of course, some folks might not like to hear a VCO audio, or they might like it, but also like to not have a VCO audio. On my CoRe and Relic and Impact and other models mentioned, there is no control or option to turn VCO audio 'Off' so a 2-Tone hunt will always be using a VCO enhanced audio. This is non-existent on the APEX as well as the Vanquish they hinted to comparing it.

But wait! Not only does my Simplex + provide a 2-Tone search mode choice, but I also have the user-option to select the 'Field' mode that has a VCO-enhanced audio, or my favorite, the Beach mode that is also 2-Tone, but is NOT VCO enhanced. A different audio response and behavior from the Field mode.

I want to check out the APEX to see just how bright the display backlight is and if it has enough intensity to be functional in low-light to dark at night. It appears to only be an 'On' or 'Off' backlight option. It isn't a variable intensity level or doesn't allow to come on and illuminate automatically when a target is detected. Nice backlight options to have .... and that's standard on the Simplex + that they compare it to.

As of this moment, I am only aware of two weaknesses the APEX and Simplex + have in common, and that is, as of right now, they only have one search coil available. Both of them are larger than what is needed for many hunt condition, and definitely not an ideal choice for very avid Relic Hunters and others who get into very dense ferrous debris, sites that are choked with a lot of vegetation, or working in and around building rubble and abundant trash.

So, I am also waiting to see who is going to provide consumers with a workable range of smaller-size search coils. Now, don't get me wrong, I am very interested in checking out the new APEX, and all-the-while ai am also hoping that I get to experience some improved performance afield from this new offering. I do have room for one in my Detector Outfit, if it has a useful purpose and works.

Naturally, there is going to be a lot of talk, and I've already encountered it on several other forums, about how the new Garrett is both selectable-frequency and simultaneous-multi-frequency and how multi is a must-have for superior performance and blah, blah, blah. I have a lot of hands-on experience with SMF detectors and I know for a fact that, at times, they can work quite well. And also that at times they don't handle the conditions all that great and I have used my single-frequency VLF model(s) and handled the conditions much better.

So, again, I'll just have to see how well the APEX works. Checking at each selectable frequency, and then using the Multi-Frequency mode. How many and what frequencies are used when MF is doing its thing is also an unknown right now, along with so many other things about the soon-to-be-released APEX, that all we can do is guess, be attentive to those things we hear and read about, and hope for the best from Garrett as time goes by.

With the other models they've brought to us in recent years, and now this very impressive introduction, I have a difficult time figuring how some of their USA competition is going to get along. I'm referring to White's, and at this point, they have a lot of catching up to do with some reasonable reduction in their MSRP for what they offer.

I'm excited to plan for the APEX to get in my hands.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540; CoRe, Relic, Impact & Simplex +; Bandido II ┬ÁMAX & Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX; ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

The All new Garrett Multi Flex Ace Apexgrinning smiley Attachments

Kickindirt 132 May 15, 2020 11:40AM

Re: The All new Garrett Multi Flex Ace Apexgrinning smiley UPDATED PRiCES

Kickindirt 26 May 18, 2020 10:54PM

Re: The All new Garrett Multi Flex Ace Apexgrinning smiley

Harold,ILL. 40 May 17, 2020 02:26PM

jmaryt 39 May 17, 2020 06:10PM

Nice into for the APEX, and I'm hoping for performance.

Monte 40 May 18, 2020 07:05AM

Re: The All new Garrett Multi Flex Ace not waterproof

Kickindirt 41 May 17, 2020 02:43PM

Apex swings . . It's a towering hit. It looks high enough, it looks far enough . . .

UtahRich 30 May 17, 2020 10:42PM

Re: Apex swings . . It's a towering hit. It looks high enough, it looks far enough . . .

Kickindirt 25 May 17, 2020 11:47PM

Re: The All new Garrett Multi Flex Ace not waterproof

D&P-OR 33 May 17, 2020 02:55PM

diggindeep 36 May 17, 2020 08:39AM

Kickindirt 32 May 17, 2020 11:36AM

Albert 51 May 16, 2020 03:04PM

Z-Lynk wireless was a good move. thumbs up N/T

Monte 26 May 17, 2020 12:39AM

Kickindirt 42 May 16, 2020 03:28PM

UtahRich 53 May 15, 2020 07:42PM

Yes, some good signs-of-life out of Texas.thumbs up

Monte 61 May 15, 2020 07:20PM

Re: Yes, some good signs-of-life out of Texas.thumbs up IDK Monte

Kickindirt 47 May 15, 2020 09:57PM

The overall package looks good. The display looks good.

Monte 59 May 16, 2020 09:58AM

Monte, does that mean you're giving the Apex a good look? grinning smiley N/T

UtahRich 29 May 16, 2020 04:58PM

Yep! I lke the color so I look at it often.cool smiley N/T

Monte 33 May 17, 2020 12:38AM

Re: The overall package looks good. The display looks good.

jmaryt 54 May 16, 2020 10:32AM

j.t., I do plan to get one in my hands as soon as possible for evaluation.

Monte 48 May 17, 2020 12:37AM

Re: j.t., I do plan to get one in my hands as soon as possible for evaluation.

jmaryt 30 May 17, 2020 06:26PM

It's going to take more than mojo for White's.

Monte 36 May 18, 2020 06:53AM

Re: It's going to take more than mojo for White's.

D&P-OR 29 May 18, 2020 09:10AM

It's going to take effort from White's -

UtahRich 21 May 18, 2020 03:06PM

Sad, but probably true.

Monte 25 May 18, 2020 12:32PM

Re: j.t., I do plan to get one in my hands as soon as possible for evaluation.

EL NINO 28 May 17, 2020 01:18PM

Re: Yes, some good signs-of-life out of Texas.thumbs up

OregonGregg 54 May 15, 2020 08:03PM

jmaryt 42 May 16, 2020 10:39AM

Monte 51 May 16, 2020 09:35AM

D&P-OR 72 May 15, 2020 11:51AM

Not operator adjustable. Read Apex info here:

Monte 85 May 15, 2020 06:58PM

Kickindirt 91 May 15, 2020 12:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018