Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Andrew, we all need 'enough time' to better know the Apex ... however ...

August 31, 2020 07:59PM avatar
diggindeep:
Well first my charging cord didn't work. Not a huge deal because I had one i could use but still annoying.
I got the Apx w/Z-Lynk headphones and it came with 2 power cords. Both of them work just fine.

diggindeep:
What I like is the wireless headphones, rechargeable battery and modern look. Weight is good too but just a little front heavy.
I already have the MS3 headphones for some other models so I knew they were comfortable. What's also nice is the Apex / MS3 pair up well with a very clean audio for this hard-of-hearing guy to enjoy.thumbs up

Usually, I am not a big fan of 'rechargeable' detector batteries, but that's from too many years dealing with older technology.

Like you, I really am impressed with the modern appearance, the very compact-size control housing, the comfortable grip and the nice balance. I know I will be pleased when they get a smaller-size coil out, but the 6X11 DD 'Viper' coil is not heavy and balances reasonably well. It might be due to the fact I use a shorter rod-length than many because I don't make broad side-to-side sweeps. I think my spring-clips are in the 6th set of holes from the front. I think.thinking

diggindeep:
Maybe I expect too much but you would think that what a detector lacks in speed it would make up in depth. Not the case with the Apex IMO
confused smiley So far, with only using it in some side-by-side comparisons and a brief bit of hunting in my yard, the Apex is getting anticipated depth-of-detection for a 6X11 DD coil, and the "separation" in co-located non-ferrous targets is also very good. I have a detector or to that can edge it out, like my Simplex + w/5X9½ DD, but it just barely edges it out. Very close competition, and scary when you compare those bigger coils to a Teknetics T2+ w/a dinky 5" DD round coil that is blistering fast. These two come very close with their larger mid-size or mid-big coils.

diggindeep:
Take for example the Vanquish 540, the thing sucks at separation but is dang near as deep as the Equinox and ID is right on par with the Equinox as well. Not saying the Equinox is lightning fast but even with the 11" coil it will out perform the Apex hands down.
No, the Equinox 800 w/11' DD isn't lightning-fast, and I don't have one on-hand to compare to the Apex. I do have the Minelab Vanquish 540 and, like you stated, the VDI response and depth of detection is almost a match to the EQ-800, but I tried it against the Equinox 800 when I had one in April and the Equinox didn't really do much to impress me over the V-540. For what it is, the V-540 is still a very decent detector to keep in my outfit, and I can live with the less-than-great separation and appreciate its strengths.

But the Apex w/6X11 Viper DD coil out-performed the V-540 w/5X8 DD in some comparisons we did today when OregonGregg came by to check out the Apex. You would have to be here on my deck to enjoy the iron challenge, and the Apex performed brilliantly, compared to the V-540 or EQ-800 using it's Multi-Flex frequency set-up as well as in the different single frequencies or 20 and 15. Also 10, but 10 kHz in the iron condition challenge was 'iffy' and the 5 kHz wasn't impressive. But the Multi-Flex Apex easily out-performance the Multi-IQ V-540 in that comparison.

diggindeep:
Now let's look at the Sinplex $254 with 11" coil it absolutely kills the Apex for both separation and depth mode for mode.
Hummm, have to do that comparisons tomorrow as my Simplex + w/11" DD is out in my vehicle and it's late. But it will be interesting to see using a series of nickel-size non-ferrous trade tokens, 7 of them. sandwiched between two 1' paint sticks so the token centers are exactly 2" apart. Center of the first token is at the '0' mark and the center of the 7th token is aligned at the 12" mark. The Apex w/Viper 6X11 DD does quite well on that one for 'separation.' It's really comparing or considering the response-and-recovery speed w/o rejection to determine 'separation' of 7 non-ferrous targets.

diggindeep:
Oh well Garrett, hopefully the Apex AT will redeem itself.
I still feel the Apex is an impressive new model, priced at a point to make it competitive on today's marker and to keep it there long-term. That was a smart Garrett marketing idea. They should have left the Ace 'series' as they are and used the Apex as a stand-alone detector now, then built from this to develop an Apex 'series' and that could include a waterproof model in the 'series.'

I believe this is a wonderful sign of new blood and a fresh start for times ahead with Garrett. I'll be heading out with the Apex and some challengers tomorrow to a variety of sites for in-the-field comparison. I'll be reporting on my evaluation of the Apex by the end of the week.

Monte

PS: Nothing is 'perfect' and lacking a true Threshold-based All Metal mode the best choice I have for Cache Hunting or looking for a smaller-size 'stash' of silver coins is to use the 'Zero' rejection Disc. mode. The Apex will not hit on my 'short-stack' of silver coins (5 Walking Liberty Halves on top of a Peace Dollar) except for a low-tone Iron Audio.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Well do you want the bad news about the Apex?

diggindeep 80 August 31, 2020 12:38PM

Re: Well do you want the bad news about the Apex?

Timbertodd 62 August 31, 2020 04:06PM

Ignore I found the actual manual on Garretts siteeye rolling smiley N/T

Timbertodd 46 August 31, 2020 04:12PM

Andrew, in unboxing and assembling mine, I had two or three issues.

Monte 61 August 31, 2020 03:38PM

Re: Andrew, in unboxing and assembling mine, I had two or three issues.

diggindeep 65 August 31, 2020 05:01PM

Andrew, we all need 'enough time' to better know the Apex ... however ...

Monte 62 August 31, 2020 07:59PM

Issues. . . . After market coils ?

UtahRich 56 August 31, 2020 06:14PM

The bad news about the Apex?

UtahRich 63 August 31, 2020 03:22PM

OregonGregg 61 August 31, 2020 02:29PM

diggindeep 66 August 31, 2020 03:00PM

OregonGregg 64 August 31, 2020 03:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020