Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matching Up to the Vanquish Offerings . . . .

October 29, 2020 08:14PM avatar
Monte
The 5X8 is not that much smaller proportionately than the 6X11 Viper coil, however it might fit in, around and between some trash and brush to be helpful.

A larger size 8½X11 is probably not going to be that great a coil for most lobbyists. Plus it will be a little added weight out on the front end which can take a well-balanced detector and make it a bit more fatiguing.

The bad news, is that we don't have good news about a small coil. We need something in 4½" to no more than 6" diameter, and preferably round. It would be nice to see a small Concentric coil, but even if it was a DD coil that would be fine as long as it performed well.

Monte

Monte,

I look at this as GREAT news. As you know, I have a preference for an extra dose of depth capability for coin / token / jewelry hunting.

While it remains to be shown for these specific coils, Coil design would indicate the larger 8 1/2"x11" DD coil should detect coin sized items at greater depth than the current stock coil. Meanwhile, the 5"x8" coil should be a better selection for the urban areas you're now spending more time hunting.

I think you've spent way too many years with a 5" or 6" coil in hand to imagine you using your Vanquish with the V12 coil or the APEX with an 8.5"x11" coil. However, I can see you with a small/medium coil (5"x8" or 6"x8") in the parks, tot lots, school yards and old homes cleaning out the coins and jewelry.

Another thought here, should these coils / sizes prove out for Garrett, the Apex will essentially be on even ground with the coil offerings for the Vanquish. Currently, the stock APEX coil sits between the two coils offered by Minelab w/the Vanquish 540 pro pack; 5"x8" (V8) and 9"x12" (V12). The stock APEX coil (6"x11") is more in line with the 7"x10" (V10) coil sold with the lower end 340 / 440 Vanquish models.

I think a "5x8" coil is a great sized coin / jewelry hunter for hunting the yards around old houses, old schools and parks, parking strips and tot lots. These places aren't as trashed as the ghost towns you've frequented for so many years, but they do have their fair share of conductive junk to sort through. That 5"x8" should be a good one for the APEX like it is a good one for your Vanquish 540. thumbs up

Just some thoughts here about what MIGHT be coming down the pipe. And remember NEL, DETECH and others may have coils available as well. The 6"x8" SEF was/is extremely popular with the Minelab Explorer / Etrac crowd and on the MXT / M6 series as well. Big seller.

Rich

Just One More Good Target Before I Go . . . .
Subject Author Views Posted

2 new coils for the Apex

diggindeep 55 October 28, 2020 04:48PM

Interesting news, but not all good.

Monte 46 October 29, 2020 08:44AM

Matching Up to the Vanquish Offerings . . . .

UtahRich 32 October 29, 2020 08:14PM

Re: Interesting news, but not all good.

EL NINO 35 October 29, 2020 03:33PM

Re: 2 new coils for the Apex

Timbertodd 43 October 28, 2020 05:03PM

good news

UtahRich 41 October 28, 2020 06:09PM

D&P-OR 42 October 28, 2020 05:24PM

Timbertodd 43 October 28, 2020 08:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020