Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you Albert regarding the GTI 2500.

April 01, 2021 07:05AM avatar
Albert
Hi Monte, do you still have yours?

No. Unfortunately, the GTI 2500 just didn't work well for me and the tasks I needed performance for. I took it out for some urban Coin Hunting, but the bulk of my detecting time back then, like 95% of it, was tackling very iron trash challenged older sites, mainly old RR ghost towns. For those needs I rely on using a good smaller-size search coil in the 4½" to 6" diameter range. I had the 4½" Concentric for it, and liked using it the most on the 2500. However, while it worked it eliminated the use of the imaging function which should have been an important feature on that model.

With the standard 9½" imaging coil, and used in a more open urban Coin Hunting application, that feature works .... but it still didn't impress me as being all that useful. The other thing was the detector's overall performance compared with the other models I was using back then. My XLT and 6000 Pro XL provided better performance and handling, at least for me, in what urban work I took on, and for hunting the dense trash locations the then new MXT w/6½" Concentric also worked better.

And none of what I had could match the performance I got from a small coil equipped Tesoro Bandido II µMAX or Silver Sabre µMAX when I attacked tot-lots with all their metal structures, or the remote old locations I favored that have an abundance of iron nails and other assorted ferrous and non-ferrous trash. For that I need a slow-motion operating detector that features a quick-response and fast-recovery, so if a detector can't come close to matching the in-the-field performance of a good Tesoro, they don'y hang around in my Detector Outfit for very long, regardless of the coils they have or nifty features they offer some users..

Albert
If so, did you buy the package deal with 2 coils and carrying case ?

Yes, from the dealer I used I wanted the 4½" coil to make a 2-coil package. The carrying case came with, but I never use a detector bag or hard-case. My detectors travel on the back seat, or when needed, like making the move to Texas from Oregon, they occupy a lot of the room in the back of my Dodge Caravan with the rear seat down, and some foam padding and blankets. I have always pampered all my gear, be it for fishing, hunting / shooting or detecting. Also, I don't like to mess around with rod adjustment or twisting the lower rod to get coils aligned to stuff in a detector bag and then fuss around to get them out, positioned, and in to action.

Like many other detectors out there, the GTI 2500 was / is a good fit for some folks and their sites and their wants-and-needs, but for me and what I desire, there are a lot of detectors, back when as well as today, that fall short of my performance expectations. Therefore, I send them down the road to maybe make someone else satisfied.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
325-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Gti 2500 back from Dr. Garrett

Albert 67 March 28, 2021 02:44PM

You have the early 'talking' version? N/T

Monte 34 March 30, 2021 09:28AM

Re: You have the early 'talking' version?

Albert 44 March 30, 2021 09:31PM

Thanks for confirming the vintage.

Monte 43 March 31, 2021 05:21AM

Re: Thanks for confirming the vintage.

Albert 35 March 31, 2021 06:13PM

Back to you Albert regarding the GTI 2500.

Monte 51 April 01, 2021 07:05AM

Re: Back to you Albert regarding the GTI 2500.

Albert 46 April 01, 2021 08:25AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 43
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 859 on February 28, 2021