Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My favorable experiences with the .28 update.thumbs up

April 25, 2021 06:55AM avatar
The 1_.28 update listed the things it did, but not all of them applied to all former production models as some already had some of the upgrades.

My 'primary-use' Apex, that I got immediately after Apex production began, was different from Apex #2, #3 and #4. Yes, for new readers, I have four (4) Garrett Apex devices, and all for good reasons. I got my first Apex and liked most everything about it in the way of light-weight design and physical appearance; ease of use and settings manipulation; and performance afield in a variety of locations from urban parks and schools to more iron-challenged ghost towns and the like. At least for the most part.

I found the standard 6X11 'Viper' Double-D coil to work adequately in 'average' conditions that were not too brushy or had more than just a modest amount of litter to deal with. Then you have to appreciate the fact that I have favored smaller to mid-sized coils since '68. As soon as Garrett announced the introduction of the 'Ripper' and 'Raider' coils for the Apex, I acquired both of them. The 'Ripper' is my primary-use search coil that I mounted on my #1 or first Apex. It is their 5X8 DD design and works excellent for me as a 'general-purpose' coil.

The standard 6X11 DD 'Viper' coil I put in my Accessory Coil Tote, leaving me with an 8½X11 DD 'Raider' coil. That would work well for me on a beach or a wide-open area with minimal trash, such as a big grassy park or a plowed field, etc., for more coverage and potentially improved depth of detection over the 'Viper' coil. Since about '72 I have not enjoyed making search coil changes afield, preferring to just have a different detector equipped with the coil I wanted. So, I bought a 2nd Apex from Joe Patrick and mounted the 'Raider' coil for those types of tasks. He also got his Apex not long after release, but it already had a production 'update' from my original Apex ... (something we didn't know about regarding production).

Most of my needs were answered except I do like a truly smaller-size coil in more of a rounder-shape for very dense trash environments, and have been .... and still am ... hoping Garret can make their 4½" Concentric coil to work on their multi-frequency Apex. They haven't yet, but there was going to be a smaller-size coil offered by NEL for the new Apex, so I got one of their first 5" 'Sharp' DD's. What did I need then??? I needed Apex #3 so, once again, I went through a helpful Dealer, 'Kickindirt', and Joel got me Apex #3 ... which like my first two I had the MS-3 headphones for wireless operation. I then mounted the aftermarket NEL 5" DD to that device and was pretty much all set with my three favorite Garrett Apex devices and selected coils for different tasks, and I noticed that the 2nd and 3rd Apex units differed a little from my 1st Apex.

Then I faced a new challenge. I also had my Nokta FORS Relic and Simplex + along with my Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX Tesoro's, to take advantage of their strengths and handiness, I kept my Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack on-hand as a 'loaner unit' for friends and family. Yes, it would work 'OK' for a lot of applications, but from past experiences I knew that often people would wonder why I gave them one make / model to use while I preferred something different ... or probably better. Going way back to the '70s I generally had a same or very similar model on-hand to use as a 'loner-unit', so why change?

About five weeks ago, just before I moved from Oregon, I made a detector swap with 'Kickindirt' and he got a pristine condition Vanquish 540 Pro Pack and I got another Garrett Apex w/MS-3 wireless headphones. Apex #4. I keep the standard 'Viper' coil mounted on it and that particular unit is now at-the-ready as my 'loaner-unit' for friends and family. One thing I noticed about that more recently released Apex was that it was similar to Apex #2 and Apex #3, making all three of them just a little different from my primary-use original Apex #1.

What was that noticeable difference? It was the 'Back-Light' feature. With the original Apex I only had a 'Back-Light' when I went to the settings and selected the 'Back-Light' function and turned it On or Off. With the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Apex's, I had a momentary or temporary Back-Light as soon as I selected the 'Settings' function, and the light stayed On for about 5 seconds or so after I finished making Settings changes. I like that.thumbs up

We just updated my main-use Apex #1 on Friday evening. I had already done the update on the other three devices just to check the update behavior first compared with a non-updated unit to make sure things still worked well ... if not a bit better. One of the first things mentioned in the 'update' announcement was that it would give the momentary Back-Light functions for settings changes, but my 2nd, 3rd and 4th Apex already had that. Only my 'original' Apex didn't, so that told me they have, appropriately, been making some changes along the way in he Apex production.

I had never paid attention to the start-up display info as it goes quickly to the search screen display, but I did notice this in making the new '.28' update to my four Apex units. Once the update is complete, you can turn the detector 'Off' and then 'On' and notice it reads '.28' briefly as is starts up and scrolls to the search display.. My 2nd, 3rd and 4th Apex, prior to their update, read version '.25' software, and they had the momentary or temporary Back-Light when Settings was activated. My original Apex, #1 in my Outfit, didn't have the momentary Back-Light, and was from the original Apex production. It read it was version '.23'.

"Now, for the rest of the story."

I have been using my 'original' release version '.23' most of the time with the 'Ripper' DD coil and just occasionally working Apex #2 with the larger-size 'Raider' DD coil in a plowed field and at a couple of areas in the local larger grassy park. Other than the momentary Back-Light for settings adjustment, I hadn't noticed anything specific for comparison, except it was the model I sent in that was noisier of my first two devices. When it came back 'fixed', it was quieter, but reflecting back it did seem to have a little tighter VDI read-out than my first device, as well as the momentary Back-Light for Settings adjustment. When I did the recent update is when I observed it had version '.25' and perhaps that was part of an early stage'fix', or maybe a difference was using a different search coil. ????

I never had a noise issue with my 'original' Apex so I had no need to send it in. I did have some problems getting that model updated. The other three all went through the update smoothly and I hunted with them to do some comparisons with Apex #1 and, as I mentioned, I saw no performance loss from the update. They did seem to be little better, even if subtle, in locking on TID better, perhaps recovery-speed even though they were quick performers originally, and since all was well, I had Monte Jr. go through the downloading of the update so I could bring my Apex #1 up to current production version level. It took a little longer even though it is a rather quick update.

We finished that Friday evening so I was able to take it out to play yesterday, and will doing even more detecting today. First to enjoy this great sport -- Second to check out a small area I spotted that is huntable, and -- Third to double-check one issue I have with the NEL 'Sharp' 5" DD coil. Does the coil work? Yes, it fits in brushy areas and tight spaces well, and Yes, I get good audio responses from desired targets. But I'll make a post later today regarding search coils in general and as it relates to the Apex 5" DD from NEL.

I hope you are all enjoying your opportunities to get out detecting, and if you are an Apex user, I think you will also like the Garrett Apex update to 1_.28.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Garrett APEX UPDATE

Kickindirt 72 April 22, 2021 05:40PM

My favorable experiences with the .28 update.thumbs up

Monte 49 April 25, 2021 06:55AM

Re: My favorable experiences with the .28 update.thumbs up

Kickindirt 35 April 25, 2021 01:07PM

What I *need* and *want*, Joel, is a 4½" Concentric coil.

Monte 30 April 25, 2021 01:39PM

Re: What I *need* and *want*, Joel, is a 4½" Concentric coil.

glabelle 27 April 25, 2021 03:25PM

I'll cross my fingers on your NEL 5" 'Sharp' DD. eye rolling smiley

Monte 75 April 25, 2021 04:28PM

Re: Garrett APEX UPDATE.

Timbertodd 50 April 22, 2021 06:39PM

Re: Garrett APEX UPDATE

Timbertodd 24 May 01, 2021 06:28PM

Todd, I'll be looking forward to your updated-Apex report.

Monte 18 May 01, 2021 08:48PM

Re: Todd, I'll be looking forward to your updated-Apex report.

Timbertodd 13 May 02, 2021 05:29PM

Re: Garrett APEX UPDATE no prob Todd N/T

Kickindirt 28 April 22, 2021 07:10PM

Re: Garrett APEX UPDATE no prob Todd

Albert 27 April 24, 2021 08:06PM

Kickindirt 29 April 24, 2021 10:42PM

"Always interesting to hear if any better." .. I think it is.thumbs up

Monte 27 April 26, 2021 09:38AM

Albert 26 April 26, 2021 07:01AM

SvenS 30 April 26, 2021 06:11PM

Kickindirt 31 April 27, 2021 02:31AM

Update

SvenS 31 April 28, 2021 07:09PM

Re: Update

glabelle 34 April 29, 2021 05:27PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021