Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Depth-of-Detection comparisons gets interesting.eye rolling smiley

August 08, 2021 11:17PM avatar
There used to be a more notable difference back in the '70s, '80s and '90s, mainly with analog circuitry and coils like a 6" or 7" compared with an 8" and then a 9½" to 12", and then something larger for bigger-size targets. Coil designs have changed a little and the detectors have mostly graduated to digital circuitry and there is a lot more control in the software.

That's why I only have one detector with what I consider a larger-size coil, my 2nd Apex w/'Raider' coil, to take o plowed fields, a beach or some other sparse-target open area.

Long ago I found that a lot of our more modern detectors can achieve surprising detection depths with their smaller-size to mid-size coils, as long as there is not target masking going on. Thus, my current Detector Team is well outfitted and suited to taking on a wide-range of hunt sites i plan to search. I have trimmed a lot of extra coil choices and excess detectors to get to my current set-up. That helps keep it 'simple' and also maintains the 'fun-factor' to enjoy going out detecting.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Ripper & Raider taking on deeper coins.

Monte 250 August 04, 2021 08:08AM

Other Apex and coil considerations for my wants and needs.

Monte 95 August 12, 2021 04:46AM

Re: Ripper & Raider taking on deeper coins.

Timbertodd 94 August 05, 2021 08:17PM

Todd, my Ripper & Raider detection depths observations.

Monte 115 August 06, 2021 02:34PM

Re: Todd, my Ripper & Raider detection depths observations.

Timbertodd 96 August 08, 2021 03:10PM

Depth-of-Detection comparisons gets interesting.eye rolling smiley

Monte 88 August 08, 2021 11:17PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021