Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I don't see many Garrett Metal Detector users in my area, but ....

July 15, 2018 05:48AM avatar
I do know that "in the good old says" there used to be quite a number of them. When I say "my area" I am referring to both NW Oregon where I have lived the bulk of my life, and here in Eastern Oregon where I have resided for almost five years now. Also in other places where I often travel, back 'home' to Northern Utah in and around the Ogden to Salt lake City area.

Forty-one years ago I became a Garrett detector dealer and had owned and used Garrett models since '72. Since '68 I have usually maintained two or three competitor's models in my personal arsenal, and several Garrett TR and VLF/TR-Disc. models were some of my better coin producers from the mid-'70s to early '80s when Coin Hunting offered so much to the active hobbyists. I have had several models during their GTA and GTP series, and the most recent was an AT Pro.

I didn't care for the top-heavy control housing feel and let the AT Pro go as I had other detectors in my arsenal that would match or better it in features and/or performance afield, but that was just me. I know what they can do, and I have always given Garrett Metal Detectors credit, even when they were Garrett Electronics, for being industry leaders when it came to marketing and advertising their products.

Even their simple 'Yella Fella', the Ace 250, came to be quite a hit as an entry-level unit to get a lot of people started in this great outdoor sport. I gave two of them to two of my adult children to maybe help them have some fun with their kids, and maybe four or five I sold to people who wanted to get into the hobby of Coin Hunting but were on a limited budget or just not sure if it was going to really interest them.

I have acquired two Garrett detectors in the past two weeks, both to use on occasion for memories sake, and especially for use in my metal detecting seminars to show what we used to have, how they worked, and what brought us to where we are today. That makes three Garrett metal detectors in my arsenal that are all in excellent physical and working condition.

My oldest detector of them all is my Garrett Hunter BFO that dates to the latter 1960's manufacture, and is the only BFO I have on-hand. The two I recently acquired are a Garrett Money Hunter TR-Disc. unit that sold new in 1977, and a slightly older Garrett Master Hunter TR-Disc model with both of the 'Master Hunter' package search coils. I'm going to be taking one of them with me on my detecting jaunt I'm headed off on today and tomorrow and just enjoy a flash back to the good old days of conventional TR detecting.

Having a Forum for Garrett Metal Detector users might be interesting as we read the posts of those who use them, or attend to those who have questions to be answered. I also think that in the near future, let's say by 2020, we will see a newer and 'improved' offering from Garrett since there is a lot more competition these days with top-end detectors in the $500 to $800 range that have more adjustment features and a comfortable physical package for better balance and handling.

I look forward to releases in the near future, and since Garrett has always provided a nice array of accessory search coils for their models, I am certain they will have optional coils available at the time they announce a new model release. That's always a nice benefit for the detector purchaser.

Also, maybe, just maybe, I'll get lucky with this Forum and discussing older models Garrett's as I am looking for a model I really enjoyed 'way back when.' As with all my new and old detectors, I like everything to be in as-new to pristine condition as well as work properly. The model I am trying to find in great condition is the American S2 TR. Not the late version, the AM2 that has a VLF mode and works at 15 kHz, but the original S2 TR that has a 3-position Disc. toggle switch, works at 50 kHz and has the interchangeable 7" coil.

If anyone knows of a very clean, proper working specimen, please let me know via e-mail. I used my American S2 TR very heavily in 1980 and '81 when Coin Hunting park, school and church grassy areas and made abundant discoveries. Of course that was still in the hey-day era and coins were plentiful, including ample silver coins, but even so, the little TR was just a fun-to-use detector for me that was handy to keep on-hand in my daily travels.

Anyway, old or new, if you own and use a Garrett Metal Detector, we welcome your participation on this Garrett-based Forum. Questions about what Garrett offers? Ask away!

Loading up in a few minutes to head off for a day of hunting and I wish all readers the best of success if they get out as well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 12:29AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

I don't see many Garrett Metal Detector users in my area, but ....

Monte 412 July 15, 2018 05:48AM

Re: I don't see many Garrett Metal Detector users in my area, but ....

Timbertodd 188 August 18, 2018 07:48PM

Todd, my thoughts on your AT Pro.

Monte 238 August 20, 2018 05:42PM

Re: Todd, my thoughts on your AT Pro.

Timbertodd 172 August 21, 2018 04:33PM

My thoughts on a Double-D Vs Concentric in a sort of mid-size range.

Monte 187 August 22, 2018 01:40AM

Re: My thoughts on a Double-D Vs Concentric in a sort of mid-size range.

Timbertodd 174 August 22, 2018 04:46PM

Well, half of my goal is achieved to get an American S2 TR back in my detector group.

Monte 228 August 03, 2018 01:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018