Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, half of my goal is achieved to get an American S2 TR back in my detector group.

August 03, 2018 01:13AM avatar
I bought a Garrett American S2 TR that arrived last Monday. It was advertised as a unit for parts or repair as the batteries had leaked and there was corrosion on the terminal part. In the various photos it otherwise looked OK so I took the chance and bought it.

When it arrived it was the absolute worst packaging job I have ever experienced on any detector shipment. angry smiley Everything was still attached. The coil on the lower rod, the lower rod in the middle rod and the middle rod to the control housing and handle. There was a single wrap of thin bubble-wrap around the housing and around the coil, but the long box he used could have held four of these detectors plus ample peanuts to cushion and secure them.

Instead, it was just one single assembled detector flopping and banging around in an over-sized box. Monte Jr. and I looked back at the photos and we couldn't see any damage to the search coil, but when we took it out of the box, it had a serious crack just in front at the base of the rod-mount ears and the plastic was separated. A serious enough impact to not just crack the plastic, but actually break or chip some of it off!

I wire brushed off the metal terminals, but on the back side of that battery holder/clip there is some damage to the contacts and trace to the wire connections. It can be cleaned up better or re-done, but when I attached two new 9V batteries it fired up and the battery check for 1 and 2 both showed a full reading on the needle meter. So far, so good.thumbs up

Then I held in the retune pushbutton, adjusted the tuner for a proper slight audio Threshold hum, and that was good, thumbs up ... and it also meant the search coil was functional, and that was also good.thumbs up

Next, I released the pushbutton to check operation and the audio blared very loud and the needle meter also registered with a full right-side deflection. That, unfortunately, was not so good. sad smiley

I can press the pushbutton and it will retune and restore it back to the adjusted Threshold setting, but it won't retain that setting when the pushbutton is released as it just blares away.

So, I am closer than I have been in the past many years at finding a workable American S2 TR-Disc. model as I have at least secured one if fairly good shape, but it's going to need some attention to be fully functional again. Time to start tracking down a reputable service source that is also reasonably affordable for what, I hope, is a fairly simple fix.

My other two older Garrett TR-Disc. models are working quite well and are in very good condition considering they are 40 to 43 years old.

I have a terrific 'team' of detectors to cover all my needs, but as I am trimming some excess and duplicate models, I am tempted to add one newer, current production Garrett to my 'why-not-try-it' list and see if they are a competitive model in the way of features, performance afield, and importantly balance and feel.

My detector $$ budget will be in order by month's end, or sooner when I sell some of the detectors and accessories I'll be listing.

If you are a Garrett owner and user, I would really appreciate your support of this Garrett Metal Detectors Forum. If you have one and like it, let it be known. If you have questions about Garrett models, ask away. If you've had an unpleasant experience, it wouldn't hurt to share that as well.

Happy Hunting,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

I don't see many Garrett Metal Detector users in my area, but ....

Monte 569 July 15, 2018 05:48AM

Re: I don't see many Garrett Metal Detector users in my area, but ....

Timbertodd 265 August 18, 2018 07:48PM

Todd, my thoughts on your AT Pro.

Monte 343 August 20, 2018 05:42PM

Re: Todd, my thoughts on your AT Pro.

Timbertodd 253 August 21, 2018 04:33PM

My thoughts on a Double-D Vs Concentric in a sort of mid-size range.

Monte 291 August 22, 2018 01:40AM

Re: My thoughts on a Double-D Vs Concentric in a sort of mid-size range.

Timbertodd 246 August 22, 2018 04:46PM

Well, half of my goal is achieved to get an American S2 TR back in my detector group.

Monte 313 August 03, 2018 01:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018