Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Todd, my thoughts on your AT Pro.

August 20, 2018 05:42PM avatar
Timbertodd
I've been using a AT Pro the last month or so. This is the first Garrett I have owned so I do not have alot of Garrett experience. So far I am happy with my purchase ( good used purchase price).
I used to use several Garrett models, especially in the '70s and later when I was selling Garrett metal detectors from '77 thru '81. I did later have a Scorpion Gold Stinger and GTAx1250 then a GTi2500 in 2001, but those models never worked all that well for me in the types of sites I mostly hunt.

I have handled the AT Pro when a dealer friend got a couple in when they were first released, and have since evaluated another AT Pro and AT Gold. I like them better than the former models I have owned and used that date to the latter '80s and up thru the GTA series.

Timbertodd
There are some things I do not care for about the machine. The biggy is like Monte mentioned, the coil plug and headphone plug are a REAL PAIN to install. I put the 1/4" adapter cord on for aftermarket headphones. I did not care for the Garrett's.
Yes, the plug locations for the headphones and search coils were annoying from the first one I unboxed. angry smiley The other things that I didn't care for were the smaller-size numeric read-out and display, especially with that sort of gray scale background. Also, the physical packaging based on the bigger-size housing mounted atop the rod giving it a top-heavy feeling, at least for me.

Timbertodd
My favorite setting is Pro custom with zero rejection and iron set at 25-25. I do not care for the bell tone in the standard modes, I like the 3 tone audio. Playing around with it in the different modes I found nickles do not hit nearly as hard in the standard or pro coin mode. I found a gold tone bracelet in the pro custom mode that would not register a hit in the coin modes.I'm still learning the detector and look forward to some rain so I can comfortably hit some grassy areas.
I only use the Pro mode when I have an AT Pro in-hand as it provides me with better audio and adjustable performance than the Standard mode.

One thing I disagreed with in the AT Pro video on Garrett's website, Video #2 and about 3:05 minutes or so into the video, was the comment about Ground Balancing and working the search coil ON the ground. That is usually NOT the best coil to ground relationship, especially in more mineralized ground environments, because getting the ground mineral in too close to the EMF can actually warp the field and cause several negative things to happen, such as 'noisy' operation, impaired detection depth and some loss of certain target signals or bad behavior in a trashier environment. Overloading can also be an issue.

Most major detector manufacturers or savvy detectorists are aware that the best coil-to-ground relationship is to work the search coil with about a 1" to 2" coil-to-ground gap. Working a coil on-the-ground, also known as 'scrubbing' can also cause abrasive wear on the search coil; hamper a proper sweep speed and overlapping due to the ground irregularity and drag caused by the ground; and also cause some fatigue do to the extra force required to overcome the resistance caused by the drag factor.

Timbertodd
I have read a lot of posts on some other boards saying the 5"x8" DD coil is the way to go but I'm not so sure. I wish Garrett had a 6" or 7" concentric as opposed to all of the DD coils, I may have to research aftermarket coils.
First off, I am not a big fan of most aftermarket search coils. If a detector maker can't make a decent search coil for their own products, then maybe they just can't make a decent detector in the first place since it calls for more engineering smarts than coil design. Just my opinions.

I do have my personal favorite search coils that are available for the Garrett AT series. Do note that 95% or more of my detecting time is spent working sites that are heavily littered, especially with ample ferrous debris, and building rubble or other metal structures such s fences or poles, etc. Since these types of sites, such as ghost towns or homesteads or old encampment sites, and both mining and logging camps, can also have sagebrush, weeds and otter dense vegetation to deal with as well as an abundance of debris, smaller-than-standard search coils have been my personal preference the majority of the time since 1971.

As an example, I have 9 metal detectors in my daily-use detector 'Team' to select from. I keep my most-used search coils mounted on specific models, and those include:

Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD
Nokta FORS CoRe w/5X9½ DD (my go-to 'mid-sized' search coil on my 'Team')
Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD
White's XLT w/6½" Concentric
White's modified Classic ID w/5½" Concentric Ferret coil
White's MX-5 w/6½" Concentric
White's MX-7 w/6½" Concentric
Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric
Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Concentric

With the Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold models I had to use for some evaluating purposes I didn't care for the 8½X11 DD. I have an Accessory Coil Tote and have all my standard and extra search coils mounted and at-the-ready in there, and IF there was an AT Pro in my line-up, that's where the standard coil would be.

My favorite coil picks from the Garrett AT line-up would be the 5X8 DD (standard coil on the AT Gold) as my main-use coil for low to moderately littered sites, and the 4½" Super Sniper for all trashier environments. The only other coil I might want to add to my A.C.T. would be the 6½X9 Concentric coil.

Just my thoughts on Garrett AT search coil preferences based on the types of sites I like to hunt.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

I don't see many Garrett Metal Detector users in my area, but ....

Monte 413 July 15, 2018 05:48AM

Re: I don't see many Garrett Metal Detector users in my area, but ....

Timbertodd 189 August 18, 2018 07:48PM

Todd, my thoughts on your AT Pro.

Monte 239 August 20, 2018 05:42PM

Re: Todd, my thoughts on your AT Pro.

Timbertodd 172 August 21, 2018 04:33PM

My thoughts on a Double-D Vs Concentric in a sort of mid-size range.

Monte 189 August 22, 2018 01:40AM

Re: My thoughts on a Double-D Vs Concentric in a sort of mid-size range.

Timbertodd 175 August 22, 2018 04:46PM

Well, half of my goal is achieved to get an American S2 TR back in my detector group.

Monte 228 August 03, 2018 01:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018