Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

thinkingAudio Tones/Responses with various Minelab models.

July 24, 2019 04:26AM avatar
We had a comment about unpleasant Audio Tones on the General Metal Detecting Forum, and it was mainly FBS model related. For those who have never used a Minelab detector, or have one of the models but it features a different audio response than other model groups, I thought it might be interesting to hear from Minelab users about what they do or do not like about the audio Tones, and even the required or allowable sweep speeds to get the best performance from those model groups.

Without going back to earlier models, the more recent Minelab detector groups would include the X-Terra series, the FBS series, and now the Equinox series. The latter I haven't handled enough in search environments to really get to know. I am familiar with the other two groups and that leaves me curious about the audio performance from all the groups, and how Minelab users, with ample time afield with them, feel about how these different detectors work and either do or don't appeal to them.

I do know the X-Terra models can work, but I don't like their audio responses and especially don't care for the quirky controlled sweep speed and responsiveness. I actually prefer the FBS models audio response design better, yet I don't care for it overall, either. I do know the FBS detectors I have owned and used had their strengths of more urban search environments with a strong point for hunting up higher-conductive targets. They are not all that good when it comes to handling densely littered sites with an abundant amount of nails or other ferrous debris.

But it almost seems like there is about a 50/50 split between those who have used both the FBS designs and the new Equinox models as to which they prefer. Quite a few are selling an EQ to go back to an FBS model since they favored them. Was it TID that made a difference, the depth-of-detection, or was it simply the audio Tone response difference? If you use Minelab detectrors, your comments about them would make an interesting read.

Curious ...

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+ .. Teknetics: T2+
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. White's modified IDX Pro .. XP: ORX
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

thinkingAudio Tones/Responses with various Minelab models.

Monte 162 July 24, 2019 04:26AM

Re: thinkingAudio Tones/Responses with various Minelab models.

DirtDigger 119 July 25, 2019 10:50AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018