Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A very welcome report for late December in these parts.smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

December 24, 2019 05:41AM avatar
Glad you took advantage of the really nice weather break and wish it would have extended up the road to around my place. Your Saturday & Sunday, if I recall the Channel 6 weather report, were 65° and 61° and mostly clear and sunny. I had hoped to get out for a couple of hours but:

1.. I didn't have a nice demo site to go hunt
2.. We struggled to hit 41° with an 8 MPH wind under dense, cloudy skies w/o any sun

Your report and photos would be welcome anytime, but for ⅔ of the way through December, that's really impressive! Let's hope we have a milder remaining winter and swing into spring with comfortable hunting conditions.

Dan'o
My settings were:

Park 1
50 tones
Reactivity of 2-3
Iron bias of F2 2-4
Sens 22-25

'Thank You' for sharing your settings. I'd presume you were only using the stock 11" DD coil, right?

Dan'o
I run in all metal as much as I can and then toggle back and forth so I don't get overloaded with too many sounds.

A true, Threshold-based All Metal mode is not on a lot of modern detectors, and most users seldom, if ever, use All Metal mode. I do at times on some of my detectors, if it is quickly and easily accessed. For me, I rely of Disc. mode settings as much as possible, such as:
Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Racer 2, I keep my Discrimination low enough to just barely[/b] accept common iron nails in all modes.

With the Simplex +, I have Field, Park and Beach modes opened-up to Accept both Ferrous and Non-Ferrous and don't reject any Disc. notches. I do use a lower Iron Audio Volume in Field and Park modes, and sometimes quickly access All Metal mode.

My two XP ORX models I hear all Ferrous and Non-Ferrous targets with a low Disc. setting of '7' so I hear-it-all in motion Disc.

With my Tesoro's, I keep the ED-120 Disc. set at minimum and have since it was first introduced, but I do work my Bandiido II µMAX in All Metal mode quite often when a site isn't too heavily littered.

Dan'o
I had less 'solid' signals than one way or iffy ones.

That happens a lot at most urban demo projects, but I like to hear all metals, and many 'iffy' or 'one-way' responses are still good targets.

Dan'o
It does lock onto silver and the pennies but seams to strugle a little with the nickles.
Kind of makes one wonder just what frequencies are really doing more of the work on a Simultaneous Multi-Frequency.confused smiley I use single-frequency models tht spam, or selectively could span, quite a range, however since about 1978 the majority of the detectors I use have operates in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range and, for the most part, they tend to be maybe just a wee bit hotter on US nickel coins, but very consistent across the conductivity range for most coins and jewelry targets.

Dan'o
The sidewalk or curb strip is one I hit briefly with the Deus, which I like alot, but I really took my time and went over the area at least twice while trying to decifer those 50 tones and some settings, so to say the Deus missed those coins would not be quite fair. Time will tell.

Unless we compare two or more detectors at the exact same time over the same located target, then we don't really know if a return visit let us find what another detectors missed, or if it is just something we didn't put the coil over. That is the key reason we find good targets, time and time again when re-hunting the same locations ... we just happened to put the center-axis of the search coil over a desirable targets. Maybe a different size or maybe type of coil, and likely from a slightly different direction of approach sweep.

If a location is smaller and has vry little trash to mask keepers, it is much easier to thin-out the majority of good targets with not much effort. But when a site covers quite an area, and when the majority of it is very littered with a lot of good-target masking nails, other ferrous and non-ferrous debris and an ample dose of rusty tin, it becomes very difficult to get-it-all.

My all-time favorite ghost town of "Twin Flats" has been visited and searched my many. Often only briefly because there is more trash then city-shooters could imagine, but some avid detectorists have thinned their share out of there, too. For me, this very active old town, from the latter 1860's through the depression Era, has kicked out hundreds of old coins for me. I've filled four binders and still had recoveries I needed to clean and card. The vast majority of those coins were found using detectors that operated in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range, and I could even narrow that down because ± 92% of them were located when I was using a Tesoro model that operated at 10 kHz or 12 kHz.

I don't hesitate to hunt it in the future if heavy weed growth is gone and the new owner grants me permission like I had before, and I will also hunt it with the other makes & models in my present-day Detector Outfit because they will give me a different 'look' at the site. But I'll also use my Tesoro's and while it has been very thinned down on desirable targets, I know there are still good targets to be found. Not because I didn't find them if I was close, but because I didn't find them because I didn't put the coil directly over them.

I do know, however, that when I do, I'll be using a 1-Tone, 2-Tone, 3-Tone or possibly a 5-Tone (if I get a different detector) search mode, but never a 50-Tone. I tried that once to check out a guy's detector and just couldn't stand it.

Dan'o
I did dig some nails chasing iffy signals but by the end of my hunt I could do about 60/40 at decifering the bad ones before I stoped.

Nails and other wire iron are easier for me to audibly classify. It's all the sheet iron and other shapes that are more of a challenge for me to audibly decipher, not to mention rusty tin.angry smiley The latter is a little easier with some models using a Concentric coil, but when it comes to hunting in ferrous debris, nothing is perfect with todays modern detector designs.

Dan'o
I do like the flutie notes of the NOX.

Long ago I had some BBS Sovereigns and several FBS Explorer series models in my Outfit, and I took an effort for me to like their 'flutiness', but I haven't had any around for general use for six years or more. I never really liked it, I just learned to tolerate it. What I have head from the Equinox, or on you tube from the Vanquish, seems to be a little different than I used to hear, but any detector audio response takes learning and understanding. The XP ORX audio is very different from my other models and has taken me over half-a-year to get comfortable with it.

Dan'o
Any suggetstions for a NOX newbie?

Yes, I have some that follow what you've already touched on and they apply directly to your signature of detectors. You have a diverse detector outfit, just as I do, and they are models that can differ a good deal from each other. Many are what I consider to be very good picks, and these suggestions apply universally. Those are:

• Use them
• Use different coils to find what works the best with each model.
• Use them ... even more often
• Learn them to know their strong and weak points.
• Master them.
• Know them each, well enough, to have 'fun' and enjoy getting them out afield to search ... often.
• Always be ready to learn more about each make and model, and to just learn more about detecting in general.
• Be comfortable with the settings you feel work for you, and don't think you need someone else's settings if they just don't seem right.

Now, prepare for the 'real winter' that is soon to arrive. Do some research and prepare for a warm and welcome spring ... a few months from now.sad smiley

Monte

PS: If weather holds and you can sneak in just one more visit to that site, ... good luck!

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vista 'X' / Vanquish 540 / CoRe, Relic & Simplex + / Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX / XLT / ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Second time out with the Nox 800 and got some Silver! Attachments

Dan'o 217 December 23, 2019 05:26PM

Re: Second time out with the Nox 800 and got some Silver!

OregonGregg 166 December 24, 2019 02:11PM

NWCindy 142 December 24, 2019 09:03AM

A very welcome report for late December in these parts.smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Monte 143 December 24, 2019 05:41AM

Re: A very welcome report for late December in these parts.smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Dan'o 146 December 24, 2019 06:46AM

UtahRich 121 December 23, 2019 09:08PM

Dan'o 165 December 23, 2019 10:22PM

The Nox 800 and got some Silver!

UtahRich 121 December 26, 2019 10:22AM

Next years 800 settings

UtahRich 122 December 26, 2019 08:15PM

Minelab Users .. visit the EQ-800 'Settings Test Sites.'

Monte 143 December 27, 2019 08:49AM

Re: Minelab Users .. visit the EQ-800 'Settings Test Sites.'

Dan'o 131 December 27, 2019 03:27PM

Re: Minelab Users .. visit the EQ-800 'Settings Test Sites.'

Monte 153 December 28, 2019 05:35AM

'Settings Test Sites.'

UtahRich 182 December 27, 2019 09:53AM

Re: 'Settings Test Sites.'

OregonGregg 141 December 30, 2019 08:04AM

Kickindirt 132 December 30, 2019 11:32AM

D&P-OR 133 December 30, 2019 12:08PM

OregonGregg 143 January 02, 2020 08:30PM

Del, I agree. I really like the ORX ... (but this is the Minelab Forum .. ssshh) N/T

Monte 132 December 30, 2019 06:14PM

Re: Del, I agree. I really like the ORX ... (but this is the Minelab Forum .. ssshh)

D&P-OR 154 December 30, 2019 07:00PM

Rich, I was just funnin' a little bit.smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Monte 170 December 27, 2019 02:37PM

I know. smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float N/T

UtahRich 98 December 28, 2019 08:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018