Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you, sharing our opinions and experiences.

February 13, 2020 01:12PM avatar
diggindeep
I do agree with most of what you said, however I think we can agree that on a salt water beach a single frequency machine is far from the performance of multi-frequency.
I will agree that sometimes, to maybe often, some multi-frequency detectors might have an edge on a single-frequency. But from personal experience. I know that sometimes I have out-performed some guys on a saltwater beach who were using a multi-frequency detector. I not only got a better audio response and better depth on a target, but I also had better TID than they did.

Always? No, but often enough it was fun.smiling smiley That was on the Oregon Coast which has very mineralized black-sand mix, and also going against three Minelab guys at the GSL, and there's no argument about 'saltiness' there. That said, I am not a beach hunter and if I made regular trips to a salty environment, the Vanquish would be in my hand, but also the Nokta / Makro Simplex+.

diggindeep
In regards to the Sovereigns, Explorers, e-Trac, CTX in mineralized dirt, yes I agree in a lot of cases a single frequency will excel over them especially in heavy mineralization. However with the new Multi-IQ in the Equinox and Vanquish I've made many comparisons with single frequency machines such as the Impact, Kruzer, Racer, Whites MX7, AT Pro, Deus, Fisher F19, Teknetics T2, etc where they all ID the deep target as iron or ID is very erratic, making it impossible to know what's below the coil. I also find that many single frequency machines have a tendency to ID deep iron as a good target only to find it's iron when you dig it up. The Equinox however tends to lock onto a number or have an average when the ID is jumpy that is fairly accurate.
I've hunted very mineralized ground the bulk of my life and because of that I have been selective on which makes and models I use to better handle the conditions. Some of them had an edge on the earlier SMF detectors at times, especially a White's 6000 Pro Xl and later the same-o XL Pro. A lot depends on the search coils used and how well someone knows their detectors and settings.

Minelab is rather quiet on just exactly what frequencies are used and actually how they use them. I do believe, however, that the Multi-IQ approach works differently than the BBS and FBS devices and that is why we can see some improvements / advantages in the Multi-IQ technology.

As for visual Target ID, I found that they can all be wrong at times or all be right, but in the very densely littered sites I most often hunt, Target ID on any detector will be close to useless if a person wants to rely on it.

Some of the models you mentioned, like the T2 series, the F19, the AT series, of the group you listed, usually have less accurate visual 'lock-on' from mid-depth to their deeper depths. I was never pleased with their depth-of-detection, and even less thrilled with the TID or numeric VDI read-out accuracy beyond 'average' or mid-depth ranges.

diggindeep
Generally speaking as a target gets deeper the minerals in the ground start to consume the target making ID difficult until finally all the detector sees is iron. Faster recovery on single frequency machines like the Dues make it possible to work heavy mineralized dirt like Culpeper, VA when faster recovery speeds are selected. But the trade of is loss of depth. Since 75% of my sites are plowed fields or pasture with targets all the way from surface to 14" deep, the Equinox or Minelab GPX (for final cleanup) are my detectors of choice.
I'll just say that at depth any target's signal can be degraded to some extent by the ground mineral make-up. Because of that we are going to see detectors that don't handle it well and some that do a more impressive job. Among those that are more impressive I will agree the Vanquish is in that group. Some single-frequency detectors do OK, but I'll agree that when people get carried away with some adjustments, such as Recovery Speeds, there will be a loss of performance. Often the user is not aware of that because they just don't know or understand how detectors do and don't work, or that there can be trade-offs with errant settings.

diggindeep
Totally agree on you in regards to hunting iron trash and coin caches, multi-IQ suffers in those areas. If I'm hunting a trashy ghost town I might try the Equinox for a while but almost always switch over to my Deus or F19.
Yes, and Multi-IQ models are not alone in the suffering department. A lot of single-frequency or selectable-frequency detectors can also struggle. Partly due to the operating frequency, but some also due to other adjustment functions that are not properly used, and with some it is simply due to factory internal pre-set functions, such as Ground Balance..

diggindeep
The Equinox will excel in iron trash in one area though, and that's it's ability to see small or low conductive items such as small buttons and small gold coins.
Well, darn it, I haven't encountered a smaller or lower-conductive gold coin since I've had my Vanquish.sad smiley But I have hit on some smaller-size and/or lower-conductive targets that sounded good. Some higher-conductive as well.

That's why I have also been selective on the detectors I assign to my get-serious Relic Hunting Team. They have to handle iron well, and also hit on lower-to-higher conductive keepers that are partially masked. I have hunted with a guy who really likes the 6" DD on his EQ-800 because he has been able to unmask some good targets in an area where he'd hunted with the stock 11" DD and couldn't get a good hit on any of them. Even though I don't put the Vanquish in the same class as my dedicated Relic Hunting units, it is doing reasonably well for sort of a 'cross-over' detector. One with strengths that favor more urban type Coin Hunting applications, but it can 'cross-over' to some Relic Hunting type environments fairly well.

I did work a heavy iron challenged area yesterday and had good hits and visual TID with the 540 Pro w/5X8 DD coil on some small rivets in amongst the iron trash. Also found some smaller-size higher-conductive targets as well that impressed me with the performance of this detector. A lot in the way of design and performance in the 540 Pro package for the $$$.

diggindeep
No one detector will cover every scenario, It's all site dependent in the end, best tool for the job, keep the tool shed well stocked for every occasion.
Never going to be an argument of different opinion on this point of view! thumbs upsmileys with diet Dr. Pepper floatthumbs up

And I have a selection of 6 detectors in my rig right now, and it's warmed from 23° to 45° so I am headed off under clear blue skies with the Vanquish, mainly, to try and find anything old and exciting.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Out for a bit of evaluation and Coin Hunting unit adjustment.

Monte 114 February 11, 2020 06:28AM

Update on my progress ... Going to check a 'Manufacturer Glitch' today.

Monte 60 February 14, 2020 08:16AM

Who Are You! ? And what have you done with the REAL MONTE ?. N/T

UtahRich 61 February 11, 2020 03:49PM

Re: Who Are You! ? And what have you done with the REAL MONTE ?.

OregonGregg 58 February 14, 2020 07:05AM

Favorite types of Pie ?

UtahRich 49 February 14, 2020 08:47AM

Re: Out for a bit of evaluation and Coin Hunting unit adjustment.

diggindeep 65 February 11, 2020 10:25AM

Comparing thoughts about the Vanquish.thinking

Monte 70 February 13, 2020 08:14AM

Re: Comparing thoughts about the Vanquish.thinking

jmaryt 65 February 13, 2020 11:53AM

If I'm enjoying a detector and finding stuff ... that's 'FUN.' thumbs up N/T

Monte 46 February 13, 2020 12:13PM

I enjoy myself not finding stuff smiling smiley N/T

glabelle 47 February 13, 2020 12:22PM

Yes, just getting out detecting can be fun.

Monte 50 February 14, 2020 03:12AM

Re: Yes, just getting out detecting can be fun.

jmaryt 40 February 14, 2020 03:21PM

Funny you should mention that

UtahRich 46 February 13, 2020 10:55PM

Re: Funny you should mention that. Exactly Rich

Kickindirt 40 February 14, 2020 12:42AM

diggindeep 56 February 13, 2020 09:37AM

Back to you, sharing our opinions and experiences.

Monte 50 February 13, 2020 01:12PM

glabelle 54 February 13, 2020 12:21PM

But I used a single-freqquency detector to accomplish the same thing. N/T

Monte 40 February 13, 2020 01:16PM

The detector of choice is

UtahRich 57 February 13, 2020 11:08PM

Re: The detector of choice is

diggindeep 59 February 14, 2020 09:24AM

Re: The detector of choice is

glabelle 56 February 14, 2020 09:53AM

Passing thoughts and personal experiences from afield.

Monte 65 February 15, 2020 12:10PM

Re: The detector of choice is atgold??

Kickindirt 53 February 14, 2020 07:22PM

glabelle 64 February 15, 2020 07:33AM

Kickindirt 51 February 15, 2020 11:31AM

glabelle 47 February 15, 2020 12:30PM

A Little Help From Your Friends . . .

UtahRich 55 February 15, 2020 04:47PM

A Little Help From Your Friends . . .but ya wasn't there to help.

OregonGregg 63 February 16, 2020 08:16AM

Hey, Rich. I wasn't that harsh, just wondering.confused smiley

Monte 44 February 16, 2020 07:34AM

Re: Hey, Rich. I wasn't that harsh, just wondering.confused smiley

glabelle 38 February 16, 2020 09:26AM

George, I put up another post to continue this discussion:

Monte 41 February 16, 2020 10:06AM

Re: A Little Help From Your Friends . . .

glabelle 47 February 15, 2020 07:56PM

Kickindirt 39 February 15, 2020 08:19PM

Remfire 41 February 15, 2020 07:33PM

You said: "I got it because it may be great for GT hunting."

Monte 56 February 15, 2020 01:04PM

jmaryt 58 February 15, 2020 09:03AM

OregonGregg 42 February 15, 2020 08:33AM

jmaryt 50 February 15, 2020 09:07AM

OregonGregg 40 February 15, 2020 05:25PM

jmaryt 48 February 16, 2020 09:15PM

glabelle 52 February 15, 2020 09:02AM

OregonGregg 43 February 15, 2020 12:14PM

Re: Out for a bit of evaluation and Coin Hunting unit adjustment.

Kickindirt 65 February 11, 2020 08:48AM

Yes, a new 'toy' that isn't a bad pick for many uses.

Monte 63 February 13, 2020 06:14AM

Oh, the horror! eye popping smiley And some testing Attachments

glabelle 70 February 11, 2020 08:10AM

"Oh, the horror! eye popping smiley " ... Yes, 'testing' in both environments gets interesting.

Monte 54 February 12, 2020 08:53AM

Re: "Oh, the horror! eye popping smiley " ... Yes, 'testing' in both environments gets interesting.

Kickindirt 41 February 12, 2020 01:10PM

Joel, I'll get a picture up, and you can test it on the WTHO, too! N/T

Monte 47 February 13, 2020 05:27AM

Re: "Oh, the horror! eye popping smiley " ... Yes, 'testing' in both environments gets interesting.

glabelle 46 February 12, 2020 11:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018