Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Passing thoughts and personal experiences from afield.

February 15, 2020 12:10PM avatar
glabelle
I've been a White's man for many, many years. The tone was pleasant to listen to.
I was mainly a White's fan since the summer of '68, and along the way I owned and used other makes and models on through the '70s, '80s and '90s that were American Assembled (using all sorts of foreign parts) such as from White's Garrett, Compass, Fisher, D-Tex, Tesoro, Teknetics (original) Gold Mountain, Pillar, Gold Mountain Technologies, and others.

One reason White's hung in there was until 2000/2001 they offered some very good, competitive models, and in most cases their audio quality was very pleasing.

glabelle
Then technology changed and White's (except for the MXT) fell behind.
The recently offered MX-7 is the only model they have made that checks most of the boxes for me since the MXT Pro. To me, of all their other models, the MXT Pro was the last of the real competitive units. And I include being competitive against their own model line-up regardless of price.

I used a few "Foreign Made" detectors since the latter '90s, such as some Minelab's and an XP Gold Maxx., but I didn't care for the weight and poor balance of the Sovereigns or Explorer series from Minelab. Since 2000 I have bought-and-sold a lot of detectors, or borrowed them to evaluate afield, from a lot of manufacturers and liked practically nothing from White's. They just haven't kept up. They are trailing today, and well behind Garrett and First Texas Products, the remaining detector companies in the US.

Today, 5 of my 8 current brands are 'foreign-made' products, and none of any of them are a White's model. White's is way, way behind today, to be sure.

glabelle
I tried the Deus - too hard to use and made a horrible squawking noise thinking Then I tried a few Minelabs and could never quite get used to them, mostly because of weight/balance issues. The older you get, the more important this becomes. The EQ600/800s are about the best thing going today for coin/jewelry/park/school type hunting. They are light, balanced (with 3rd party rods and counterweight) and sound OK.
I agree. Due to age and lack of good health, detector weight and balance are important to me. The earlier Minelab's just are not comfortable. The XP Deus models I tried, I couldn't stand the audio and performance based on the settings the owner used. Today, I have a Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro that arrived last Monday. I've only had a few opportunities to get it out hunting this week, but it has earned a spot in my Coin & Jewelry Hunting Detector Team, and I'll use it a little for some 'cross-over' work at a few older-use sites, too, that aren't too terrible in Iron junk..

glabelle
However, talking about the "detector of choice" depends upon the target you're after and the hunting environment.
thumbs up You've got that right. I've been hunting ghost towns since May of '69, and since mid-'83 they have consumed about 65% of my dedicated detecting time where I am taking on very dense Iron Nail concentrations as well as a lot of other discarded debris ... and a vast amount of rusty tin at most of them. Detector and search coil selection is very important to get the best general-use performance.

glabelle
I recently ran a bunch of tests on the machines I have and determined for ghost town hunting, "carpet of nails/rusted tin", what is required is:

1) Fast response/target recovery.
2) High VLF frequency - 15KHz to 20KHz.
3) A small, preferably concentric coil.
1-- Fast Response AND Target Recovery don't always go hand-in-hand. I handle a lot of detectors that have blistering fast recovery for hitting multiple coins or similar non-ferrous targets in a row, but as fast as they can Recover in some applications, they suffer in Target Recovery for a follow-up good hit if they struggle ... in circuitry ... to handle recovering from a Discriminated or rejected target.

2-- I do agree that a higher operating frequency can work to my advantage, and the various models that do that for me operate at 10 to 12 kHz from Tesoro, or from 14 to 31 kHz on other models. Also, I found that in dense Iron Nails, most Simultaneous Multi-Frequency models do poorly when going up against a single-frequency unit..

3-- I've been using smaller-size search coils, especially in the ± 5" to 6" diameter since the latter '60s, and for most applications, they perform quite well. However, while I have been satisfied with the Concentric coils on a Tesoro, they don't do well with a Double-D coil, and that is mainly due to circuitry design. Today I use models with Concentric or with Double-D coils based mainly on their physical size and shape, but more importantly how the manufacturer designed the detector to handle different coils.

glabelle
I find the Impact with a 7" concentric, and the MXT with the 5.3" Eclipse to work just fine in all the nail tests I could throw at them.
The MXT Pro w/6½" Concentric coil and Impact (or Racer 2 or Kruzer or Anfibio) with the 7" Concentric coil, do well in many typical day-to-day hunt environments. But in the terribly challenging old sites I hunt, well littered with Iron Nails and similar ferrous debris, my Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' DD and Relic w/5" DD, XP ORX w/5X9½ DDHF and Tesoro Bandido microMAX w/6" Concentric, have out-performed the MXT Pro and MX-7 w/6½" Concentric, and the Racer 2, Impact, Kruzer and Anfibio with their 7" Concentric.

Oh, I like the 6½" and especially 7" Concentric coils in low to moderate Iron debris, but not so much when the ferrous challenges get tough. They also out-perform the Equinox 800 w/6" DD and Vanquish w/5X8 DD in side-by-side comparisons on some tough iron nail test scenarios.

glabelle
Scouting the market for small concentric coils, doesn't turn up much. Tesoro made a slightly under 6"CC. Being that they are out of business, I don't want to take a chance on Tesoro.
Tesoro's 6" (measured) Concentric coil is all that I use on my two favaorite models from them.

glabelle
Garrett makes a couple of 4.5 - 5" "Super Sniper" CC coils. That's about all I could find.
I had some good success with their 4½" 'Snooper' coil on a few Garrett models I checked out, but found it didn't get close to the performance and depth I got from some competitor's 5" coils.

glabelle
The Anfibio 19 was the replacement for the Fors Relic (Monte's pick for best in GTs). Seemed I might as well get the multi. However, these, like the Impact are nearly 4 lbs.!
The 5" DD on all the Nokta / Makro models works well in most Iron Nail challenges, but I found the Multi-Kruzer, Anfibio's, both the '19' and Multi, to be heavier and less balanced, for me and my health, than the Impact. Perhaps the best balanced of them is the Nokta Relic w/5" DD coil and same design CoRe w/'OOR' DD.

glabelle
Being that my wife and I are planning a gold hunting trip to Alaska in the near future, I decided to get a Garrett AT Gold machine.
I wondered .. WHY? .. when I read that.confused smiley

If your Alaskan trip is going to mainly be for hunting gold nuggets, and if you have a Nokta Impact with 5" DD and 7" Concentric coils, you have a gold nugget worthy detector already. You can search at 14 kHz, or select the higher 20 kHz frequency to compete with the 18 kHz AT Gold, but still have more adjustment at you command. I have watched several detector maker's websites this week and took in the Garrett AT Gold videos.

In them, they said the AT Gold had an 'exclusive' All Metal mode iron handling capability, but it's not so inclusive because the Impact provides a low-tone Iron Audio also in the 'GEN' All Metal mode using the Discriminate adjustment. For non-gold nugget hunting, the AT Gold is rather limiting because other than the Low-Tone Iron rejection, you do not have any control of the Discrimination in either Disc. 1 or Disc. 2.

But, if it works for you out chasing gold nuggets, then I guess all is well.

glabelle
Main factors were:

1) American made, or at least based here, wouldn't be surprised if the components were from China. (let's show some patriotism! smiling bouncing smiley )
2) 5" CC coil
3) 2.8lbs. (big factor for me).

When I test it I will post the results.
Another American Detector Manufacturer who has to use mainly electronic circuitry components from China, Taiwan and other foreign sources. Quite often other parts are also foreign, made, such as the Velcro type arm cup straps and ????

The small 4½" Concentric coil is useful for the tight areas to hunt for the tiniest size nuggets, but the stock 5X8 DD will likely b used the most. I used one a few years ago on a WTHO that a fellow brought with him, but he didn't have the 5" DD. I found the AT Gold to feel a little top-heavy after a short use, and in the terrible Iron infested sites we hunt in Nevada, forget about using that Iron Audio feature it has.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Out for a bit of evaluation and Coin Hunting unit adjustment.

Monte 117 February 11, 2020 06:28AM

Update on my progress ... Going to check a 'Manufacturer Glitch' today.

Monte 61 February 14, 2020 08:16AM

Who Are You! ? And what have you done with the REAL MONTE ?. N/T

UtahRich 63 February 11, 2020 03:49PM

Re: Who Are You! ? And what have you done with the REAL MONTE ?.

OregonGregg 59 February 14, 2020 07:05AM

Favorite types of Pie ?

UtahRich 50 February 14, 2020 08:47AM

Re: Out for a bit of evaluation and Coin Hunting unit adjustment.

diggindeep 68 February 11, 2020 10:25AM

Comparing thoughts about the Vanquish.thinking

Monte 72 February 13, 2020 08:14AM

Re: Comparing thoughts about the Vanquish.thinking

jmaryt 66 February 13, 2020 11:53AM

If I'm enjoying a detector and finding stuff ... that's 'FUN.' thumbs up N/T

Monte 47 February 13, 2020 12:13PM

I enjoy myself not finding stuff smiling smiley N/T

glabelle 49 February 13, 2020 12:22PM

Yes, just getting out detecting can be fun.

Monte 53 February 14, 2020 03:12AM

Re: Yes, just getting out detecting can be fun.

jmaryt 41 February 14, 2020 03:21PM

Funny you should mention that

UtahRich 47 February 13, 2020 10:55PM

Re: Funny you should mention that. Exactly Rich

Kickindirt 42 February 14, 2020 12:42AM

diggindeep 56 February 13, 2020 09:37AM

Back to you, sharing our opinions and experiences.

Monte 52 February 13, 2020 01:12PM

glabelle 55 February 13, 2020 12:21PM

But I used a single-freqquency detector to accomplish the same thing. N/T

Monte 44 February 13, 2020 01:16PM

The detector of choice is

UtahRich 58 February 13, 2020 11:08PM

Re: The detector of choice is

diggindeep 61 February 14, 2020 09:24AM

Re: The detector of choice is

glabelle 58 February 14, 2020 09:53AM

Passing thoughts and personal experiences from afield.

Monte 65 February 15, 2020 12:10PM

Re: The detector of choice is atgold??

Kickindirt 56 February 14, 2020 07:22PM

glabelle 66 February 15, 2020 07:33AM

Kickindirt 54 February 15, 2020 11:31AM

glabelle 48 February 15, 2020 12:30PM

A Little Help From Your Friends . . .

UtahRich 57 February 15, 2020 04:47PM

A Little Help From Your Friends . . .but ya wasn't there to help.

OregonGregg 65 February 16, 2020 08:16AM

Hey, Rich. I wasn't that harsh, just wondering.confused smiley

Monte 46 February 16, 2020 07:34AM

Re: Hey, Rich. I wasn't that harsh, just wondering.confused smiley

glabelle 40 February 16, 2020 09:26AM

George, I put up another post to continue this discussion:

Monte 43 February 16, 2020 10:06AM

Re: A Little Help From Your Friends . . .

glabelle 47 February 15, 2020 07:56PM

Kickindirt 39 February 15, 2020 08:19PM

Remfire 41 February 15, 2020 07:33PM

You said: "I got it because it may be great for GT hunting."

Monte 59 February 15, 2020 01:04PM

jmaryt 60 February 15, 2020 09:03AM

OregonGregg 42 February 15, 2020 08:33AM

jmaryt 51 February 15, 2020 09:07AM

OregonGregg 41 February 15, 2020 05:25PM

jmaryt 50 February 16, 2020 09:15PM

glabelle 53 February 15, 2020 09:02AM

OregonGregg 44 February 15, 2020 12:14PM

Re: Out for a bit of evaluation and Coin Hunting unit adjustment.

Kickindirt 68 February 11, 2020 08:48AM

Yes, a new 'toy' that isn't a bad pick for many uses.

Monte 65 February 13, 2020 06:14AM

Oh, the horror! eye popping smiley And some testing Attachments

glabelle 73 February 11, 2020 08:10AM

"Oh, the horror! eye popping smiley " ... Yes, 'testing' in both environments gets interesting.

Monte 55 February 12, 2020 08:53AM

Re: "Oh, the horror! eye popping smiley " ... Yes, 'testing' in both environments gets interesting.

Kickindirt 42 February 12, 2020 01:10PM

Joel, I'll get a picture up, and you can test it on the WTHO, too! N/T

Monte 47 February 13, 2020 05:27AM

Re: "Oh, the horror! eye popping smiley " ... Yes, 'testing' in both environments gets interesting.

glabelle 47 February 12, 2020 11:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

WM6
Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018