Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Thank You' UtahRich and Kickindirt ... I got the 'OK.'

March 17, 2020 04:55AM avatar
I was just itching to get out and enjoy some new-site hunting, and finally the chilly morning breeze and cooler temps gave was to a calmer and sunnier mid-day. They were busy pushing dirt and building rubble around, and the person I approached running the tractor/back-hoe just happened to be the property owner. He's going to build two houses there, and when asked he gave me the OK to detect the site.

The corner lot has been an open, grassy area as long as I've lived here, but it had been bladed down to level it off and was open, bare dirt. I checked out the Vanquish 540 w/9X12 DD coil and soon decided that "what you see isn't always what you get." I saw a nice, wide-open, formerly vacant lot with graded-off dirt and no surface weeds or grass. I used my 'Custom' program that accepts everything except the first two Disc. segments.

What I SAW looked like a nice place to work the bigger 9X12 DD, but what I HEARD was a symphony during tune-up before a concert. All 5-Tones of the 540 were getting a work-out, and so was I, trying to narrow a sweep and isolate individual targets that were very numerous and just barely out of sight. Big washers to smaller washers, and bolts of all sizes and nuts, cut copper tubing of many odd lengths. Metal caps, metal cans, hunks of melted metal, small, medium and larger hunks of foil, aluminum scrap, and so much discarded debris it was just horrible. Too much for the bigger coil, to be sure!

My 540 w/5X8 DD will be back from service on Thursday, but even that coil size wouldn't be welcome in that barrage of junk signals as it would be comparable to a 5X9½ DD in the Nokta CoRe and XP ORX or the 7" Concentric on my Nokta Impact. Some of the other more huntable area I couldn't work as the tractor and Bobcat was moving around there so much, and what was open to hunt was also heating up from the fire and smoke of burning rubble pile. I let them know I'd be back in a couple of days with a different detector or two.

This is a SE corner lot and demolished house, and two years ago I worked the SE corner lot and house demo just one block to the west. That one produced 2 silvers and 3 wheat-backs for my first 5 coins in under 10 minutes of searching, and it has some typical discarded junk to deal with, but nothing like this corner lot area. There were showers last night and we're getting rain today and into early Wednesday so it will be too muddy to deal with.

After the signature-required package is delivered on Thursday I'll head back over but armed with a different set of detector/coil combinations. I'll take the 540 w/5X8 DD in case they have moved around enough dirt from the other area that might be a little less trashy and more open, plus a CoRe w/'OOR' DD, a Relic w/5" DD and a Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric. They have a pile of bricks to move and some building rubble also, so I'm hoping at least some fresh dirt will be exposed to hunt in a few days and I'll report back then.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

It's been 7 years since I owned a Minelab ... and now the Vanquish.

Monte 74 March 14, 2020 05:27PM

I'm infected ....

Monte 74 March 16, 2020 08:04AM

'Thank You' UtahRich and Kickindirt ... I got the 'OK.'

Monte 39 March 17, 2020 04:55AM

Re: I'm infected .... me too good luck mr N/T

Kickindirt 32 March 16, 2020 05:20PM

Good luck with the permission . . . thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 29 March 16, 2020 11:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018