Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Your experiences with the V-540 are interesting.

March 22, 2020 02:15AM avatar
diggindeep:
I bought the 540 pro pack just before Christmas and used it about 10-15 times at various sites. I think it's a great metal detector for parks and does pretty good at the beach as well. The ID is very stable and the unit is fairly deep with the big coil. I initial bought it so my daughter could use it or I could use it as a loaner unit. However my daughter really doesn't go out much anymore.

I agree that the Vanquish makes a very good Coin & Jewelry Hunting unit, and it is pretty stable, deep when needed, and the VDI locks-on well compared with most of the competitor's models. Sorry to hear it didn't make a good fit with your daughter's interests. Sometimes things might change in the future.

diggindeep:
Most of my hunting is done at Ghost Towns or Military sites. Those sites are generally loaded with iron trash and in my opinion the Vanquish falls short at those areas even with the small coil.

We share similar interests in favoring ghost towns, pioneer and military encampments, camp and fort sites, and all those other older-use places that seem to have a lot of ferrous debris to deal with. In the toughest of those sites with an over-abundance of Iron Nails, combined with a lot of other ferrous and non-ferrous debris and rusty tin, my dedicated Relic Hunting Team include my 15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe with the small 'OOR' DD, and 19 kHz FORS Relic w/5" DD. Additionally, I have my Selectable Frequency Impact with 5 kHz for a few applications, but I mainly use the default 14 kHz or select 20 kHz, and keep a 7" Concentric mounted and a 5" DD available to swap to. I also use my Tesoro Bandido II ┬ÁMAX w/6" Concentric coil for a lot of the old townsites, simply because it has rewarded me so well through many, many years in those places.

However, most of those old and very littered sites also have some better areas to hunt that are not too bad, such as the 'fringe' or perimeter areas. Those are where I enjoy using my 'Cross-Over' models that can handle Coin Hunting and some Relic Hunting, which includes the Impact w/7" Concentric and Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD. My 'Scouting Units' and I have had some pretty god success with the 540 w/5X8 DD in some of the gold mining ghost towns we hunt near here. Like the Equinox w/6" DD, there are some test comparisons it can not handle when put up against the CoRe and Relic, but on the other hand, my 540 shows some strengths in some Iron Nail challenged conditions. None are perfect..

diggindeep:
Anyway long story short I sold it last night. The Equinox does everything the Vanquish can do and more. The Vanquish has better balance than the Equinox, but I've swung the Equinox long enough that it really doesn't bother me.

I wish I would have known you were selling it. A friend of mine was shopping for a clean used 540 after trying mine.

diggindeep:
Now I can buy another coil for the Deus, probably the 11 x 13 X35.

Now, that's definitely where we differ. I just never had a lot of use for the larger or over-size search coils. I have the Pro Pack 13X15 for my CoRe, that I've used once in 5 years, and it is on-hand for times when I might need it for Cache Hunting, but those contract searches were mainly done in the '70s, '80s and early '90s. Most of my detecting calls for a smaller-size coil and that's followed by mid-size coil use. My Simplex+ w/11" DD and V-540 w/9X12 DD will probably be used about 5% to 10% of the time this year, give or take based on the site I encounter.

Besides, I have to watch the overall weight and balance and as light as the Deus/ORX are, it seems like that big 11X13 coil would get rather fatiguing. I know it would for me.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 02:17AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

Monte 262 March 21, 2020 06:19PM

Re: Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

Jamie 219 March 21, 2020 08:15PM

Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

Monte 195 March 22, 2020 10:00AM

Re: Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

Jamie 162 April 03, 2020 06:59PM

Re: Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

Monte 136 April 04, 2020 12:32AM

Re: Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

diggindeep 201 March 21, 2020 07:47PM

Your experiences with the V-540 are interesting.

Monte 219 March 22, 2020 02:15AM

Re: Your experiences with the V-540 are interesting.

diggindeep 187 March 22, 2020 01:21PM

Looking forward to see what you've come up with thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 165 March 22, 2020 02:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 42
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020