Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

March 22, 2020 10:00AM avatar
Jamie:
I had my first real hunt for the season today. I still have frozen ground 2” down in some of my spots.

The small public boat landing in my town has a grass “infield” area. I first hunted it last season. Several quick 30 minute hunts.

Very full of trash! Lots of people like to park and look across at the town.

Also great view of the fireworks when the Bay festival shoots them off every year.

I don’t know how I missed so many coins. I still have only concentrated on the fringe areas beside the pavement. I literally hit the same spots as last fall. Probably a dozen coins in 20 minutes. Very easy to pinpoint with the small coil. Targets were a solid lock on everything I dug. The few pieces of canslaw I dug were solid at 17.

I got a 17-18 number very shallow. Of course I needed to get the trash out, so I dug it up. Very damaged zippo lighter. My second ever. It will get sent in to be repaired.

I am not sure I will use my other machines this season. This thing is very fun and light. Very much worth the under 200 I spent on it.

btw, I didn’t plan on my gloves matching the machine....just a happy coincidence

The response from you and Andrew, combined with my selection and experience, are kind of interesting. I bought the top-end Vanquish 540 Pro Pack, to have all available adjustment features of this series and I liked both search coils. I quickly noted a design glitch that you can work around, and was impressed enough with the detector and both coils that I not only made this more featured model a keeper in my Outfit, but bought a 2nd new 540 Pro Pack just to keep both coils mounted and read-to-use.

The 540 offers three factory modes plus a Custom mode to 'save' my preferences. Full Volume and Sensitivity control, and a 5-Tone audio ID. Other features, too, but it has a Pinpoint mode that works very well.

Andrew also purchased the top-end 540 and put it to use, and confirms that the Vanquish can make a very good urban Coin Hunting model. However, compared with the other models in his inventory, and sites he typically hunts, it didn't make the cut for him and he let it go.

Then we note your decision to purchase the V-340, which is the lower-cost unit in the series. It has the same configuration and shares the same coils, but comes standard with sort of a middle-size coil of the three offered. It is a basic, 'turn-on-and-go' Target ID detector with a similar VDI response, and features a simple 3-Tone audio ID. You have two default search modes to select, and full Volume and Sensitivity control. But that unit lacks any additional features and it also lacks a Threshold-based Pinpointing mode.

Yet you report that you've spent a few detecting trips to some places you've hunted a lot before and found coins that were missed, and that the V-340 is working so well, you concluded with: "I am not sure I will use my other machines this season. " Now, that says a lot, especially when you closed with: "This thing is very fun and light. Very much worth the under 200 I spent on it." I enjoy the Vanquish's very light and comfortable balance and feel, and the best part, and what I totally agree with, is the unit is 'fun.' That's why we enjoy this great sport, to have 'fun.'

Kind of what we might expect from any make or model, some will like it and others won't, and some fit certain applications but might fall short for other needs. Thanks for responding to my question.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

Monte 262 March 21, 2020 06:19PM

Re: Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

Jamie 218 March 21, 2020 08:15PM

Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

Monte 194 March 22, 2020 10:00AM

Re: Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

Jamie 162 April 03, 2020 06:59PM

Re: Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

Monte 136 April 04, 2020 12:32AM

Re: Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

diggindeep 201 March 21, 2020 07:47PM

Your experiences with the V-540 are interesting.

Monte 219 March 22, 2020 02:15AM

Re: Your experiences with the V-540 are interesting.

diggindeep 187 March 22, 2020 01:21PM

Looking forward to see what you've come up with thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 165 March 22, 2020 02:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020