Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

April 03, 2020 10:32PM avatar
Jamie

Thanks for your comments Monte. I made it to one of my local soccer fields today. It was doing some light rain, so I borrowed the rain cover from the 540. The 340 seems to be a slight different creature than the 540. It could be psychological also.
I'm certain that, with almost everyone, there can be some psychological nudges that can cause us to wonder if there are noteworthy differences between some detector models when, in reality, there might not be too much difference at all. It just depends on what we perceive some difference might be. In the case of the Vanquish 340 and 540 models, I wonder what changes they might have made in the software between the Coin modes and Jewelry modes they both offer? There is so much done 'behind-the-scenes' that the operator has no control over and we have to learn the differences designed into the modes in order for us to get the most performance out of them.

Jamie

I am keeping the 8” coil on it. It feels like the perfect match. It is very sensitive to smaller targets. The small aluminum piece from a screw cap had me chasing my tail for a while.
Yes, I do enjoy that smaller 540 Pro Pack search coil for most of my V-540 hunting.

* Note: For readers unfamiliar with the Minelab Vanquish models and their search coils, the 8" coil Jamie refers to is not a round-shaped 8" coil, but a 5X8 DD open-frame designed coil. The V-540 Pro Pack comes with two search coils, the 5X8 DD and a larger coil they call 12", but it is labeled a 9X12 DD open-frame design.

I'm finding the 5X8 DD to be sensitive to some smaller-size targets and it is my most used Vanquish coil. But for plowed fields, open areas with limited metal targets, sports fields, etc., I really like the balance and feel of the 9X12 DD on my 2nd Vanquish 540. Those two devices make a nice 'teem' of general-purpose detectors to grab and hunt most types of environments.

Jamie

I hunted this same exact area late into last fall. There is no way for any of these finds to be recent drops. The frost turning things coils have caused me to miss them?!
Either way I am happy finding some targets. I usually only get out for 30-60 minutes at a time. Being the sole hunter in my town helps. I will never run out of places to hunt that are 5 minutes from my house. That doesn’t include knocking on some doors once it is safe to do so.
With the Vanquish models we have very limited adjustment settings to make or compare. Even the V-540 only offers Volume, Sensitivity and options for High Iron Bias or Low Iron Bias plus any changes we make to accept or reject the Discrimination notch segments in the available search modes. Everything else is done "in software" so we have to learn how these models work and what their limitations are since we don't have a lot of settings control.

So I'm curious, did you use Coin or Jewelry mode and what Disc. segments did you reject?

I hope you get to enjoy more opportunities to get out detecting, and all the best of success to you.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

Monte 238 March 21, 2020 04:19PM

Re: Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

Jamie 202 March 21, 2020 06:15PM

Your experiences with the V-340 are also interesting.

Monte 177 March 22, 2020 08:00AM

Jamie 149 April 03, 2020 04:59PM

Monte 126 April 03, 2020 10:32PM

Re: Is anyone other than me using a Vanquish?

diggindeep 183 March 21, 2020 05:47PM

Your experiences with the V-540 are interesting.

Monte 201 March 22, 2020 12:15AM

Re: Your experiences with the V-540 are interesting.

diggindeep 169 March 22, 2020 11:21AM

Looking forward to see what you've come up with thumbs up N/T

UtahRich 150 March 22, 2020 12:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020