Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: It's been a bit quiet on the Minelab Forum. confused smileyconfused smiley

July 02, 2020 12:27AM avatar
jmaryt
hi monte!
was wondering what your thoughts are on the 540's penchant for
id'ing deep iron,(nice smooth high tone) no matter how iron bias is set?..was wondering if minelab is going to look into this with a possible software up date.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

j.t., There are a lot of detectors that have problems with some iron trash, especially when it is deeper. It's just the nature of the effects of Iron on an EMF. Not really too different from a deeper located coin that also doesn't ID like it could / should if located at a shallower position.

That said, I am enjoying the V-540 w/5X8 DD coil and most of the time I get a very good numeric VDI read-out from most targets t up to about 90% of the detection depth range. I'm not a big fan of Simultaneous Multi-Frequency detectors, but this tends to be one of their strengths. Producing better read-outs.

Now, you related to "no matter how Iron Bias is set". Well, I disagree with you. The default High Iron Bias does a very good job of properly classifying most common ferrous targets with a proper Low-Tone audio and accompanying low numeric read-out. When in Low Iron Bias, some of the ferrous junk, not all of it but some, such as more rusty tin, can produce a high-tone audio and higher VDI response. It's just the nature of how that setting treats iron debris. On the positive side, it does help with some unmasking in certain conditions.

Most of the time, I use the V-540 and 5X8 DD for hunting typical parks or yards and other grassy sites, a plowed field or perhaps a fringe area out from the trashier sections of an old town site. Also as a 'scouting unit' for looking anywhere for some form of past human activity. If and when I get into a heavily contaminated site with a lot of iron, I'll grab a Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' DD or Relic w/5" DD or XP ORX with my mode #6 User Coin using the 5X9½ DD HF coil. These three choices do an excellent job of handling most of the common iron junk. Rusty tin, as we know, is just a problem to deal with much like an urban Coin Hunter taking on a picnic grove with an abundance of crown-type Bottle Caps.

My V-540, by the way, handles Bottle Cap littered sites as well or better than my other preferred detectors.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: F5; Apex; Vanquish 540; FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 & Simplex +; T2+; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

It's been a bit quiet on the Minelab Forum. confused smileyconfused smiley

Monte 154 July 01, 2020 09:03AM

jmaryt 120 July 01, 2020 09:14PM

Monte 113 July 02, 2020 12:27AM

jmaryt 112 July 02, 2020 09:29PM

Druid 112 July 01, 2020 09:56AM

DirtDigger 123 July 01, 2020 11:10AM

All Quiet on the Minelab Forum.

UtahRich 115 July 01, 2020 09:01PM

Re: All Quiet on the Minelab Forum.

DirtDigger 112 July 02, 2020 09:37AM

Kickindirt 119 July 05, 2020 10:06AM

D&P-OR 118 July 05, 2020 11:37AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 37
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020