Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Picking the Right Detector

November 24, 2021 11:55PM avatar
Monte
EQ-800 owners, if you unboxed a brand new unit and all at the factory default settings and the ONLY things you could adjust were:

Sensitivity
Iron Audio Volume
Target Volume
Single Frequency selection
Discrimination
Ground Balance

and NO OTHER ADJUSTMENT FUNCTIONS ....

1.. Would it still work reasonably well?
2.. What would you price this 'basic' 800 at?
3.. Would you own one?

Monte

Hard Questions to Answer Monte. I followed the forums on the Equinox 800 since they were announced. Equinox 800 users scattered widely in use and settings preferences shortly after introduction, all looking for ways to adapt the detector to their sites, situations and preferences. Most started off using the defaults and as we learned the settings, starting making various adjustments in efforts to improve outcomes.

Those not wishing for the wider adjustability and modes (and price) of the 800 were drawn to the 600.

Does the 800 function well using the defaults? Yes. Follow up question - Does it work better for me with adjustments? Yes.
I would refer you to the Equinox 600 if you really wanted one with fewer settings. It is currently priced at $650. A Veteran like yourself can save 15%. (I don't really think it is your cup of tea though.)

Would I own one? (a 600). No - I like and use the options and features of my 800.

I don't see any sense in trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole (or vice versa) with the equinox. You've long had a preference for simple functionality and performance; minimal settings and great value. Actually, of the detectors you currently have, I think the Silver Sabre, Bandido 2 ┬ÁMax, and Simplex+ are perfect fits for the ghost town detecting that you've done for decades. I think the Garrett Ace Apex is a great fit for your current urban setting in Texas of private yards, parks and tot lots. The Apex is light in hand, has an easy to see screen, a good selection of coils and does a nice job.

I see an equinox, deus, legend, and even the higher end Nokta Makro detectors like the Impulse, Anfibio-Multi and Multi-Kruzer all overkill for the type of detecting you have long enjoyed. The myriad of settings and modes and options and so forth only clutter the playing field of the simple performance you need.

Just some thoughts to toss out there on the night before Thanksgiving. Hope you have a great one,

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 11:56PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

EQ-800 Default performance and price???

Monte 57 November 23, 2021 11:45PM

Re: EQ-800 Default performance and price???

Kickindirt 30 November 28, 2021 01:25PM

Re: EQ-800 Default performance and price???

jmaryt 21 November 28, 2021 05:55PM

Picking the Right Detector

UtahRich 50 November 24, 2021 11:55PM

Re: Picking the Right Detector

jmaryt 7 November 30, 2021 08:59PM

Rich your response was better than you may have imagined.

Monte 38 November 25, 2021 05:44PM

All's quiet on the Western Front.

UtahRich 29 November 26, 2021 08:17PM

Re: All's quiet on the Western Front.

D&P-OR 33 November 28, 2021 02:17AM

Re: All's quiet on the Western Front.

jmaryt 21 November 28, 2021 05:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021