Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rich, some comments on why I made this post.

December 02, 2021 05:39PM avatar
Rich, and others, here is why I made this post on the Minelab Forum:

UtahRich
Hard Questions to Answer Monte. I followed the forums on the Equinox 800 since they were announced. Equinox 800 users scattered widely in use and settings preferences shortly after introduction, all looking for ways to adapt the detector to their sites, situations and preferences. Most started off using the defaults and as we learned the settings, starting making various adjustments in efforts to improve outcomes.

Yes indeed, most Equinox owners will use the additional adjustment functions. I don't think all Equinox owners spend much time, if any, really using the unit as it came out of the box with factory default settings. Maybe that's why few Equinox users responded to this poet. IF a detector has some adjustment opportunity, I believe most owners are going to tinker around until they think they have a good-working set-up, but it might not be.

UtahRich
Those not wishing for the wider adjustability and modes (and price) of the 800 were drawn to the 600.

In short, although it is almost an 800, it is a dumbed-down 800. I wouldn't be interested in one myself.

UtahRich
Does the 800 function well using the defaults? Yes.

Yes, it does, and that's what I wanted to hear from Equinox owners. I had an Equinox 800 and did some comparisons with other detectors I had, and that included the Vanquish 540. The Equinox 800 at 'default settings' and Vanquish 540 were very comparable in performance. We often read posts where someone is looking for a detector in the mid-priced range so the Vanquish is suggested, especially by Minelab owners.

UtahRich
Follow up question - Does it work better for me with adjustments? Yes.
I would refer you to the Equinox 600 if you really wanted one with fewer settings. It is currently priced at $650. A Veteran like yourself can save 15%. (I don't really think it is your cup of tea though.)

No interest in the EQ-600. I had thought about getting another EQ-800 w/6 DD coil, but figure I could wait and see what the new Nokta / Makro offering, the Legend, might have that would be more functional for my search needs or just different in some positive way. Then make a decision between the Legend and Equinox 800.

UtahRich
Would I own one? (a 600). No - I like and use the options and features of my 800.

Which is why I'd get the 800 and not the 600.

UtahRich
I don't see any sense in trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole (or vice versa) with the equinox

I gave a list of available adjustments if someone had an Equinox 800 in the default configuration and could only adjust the settings I had listed. The reason is because those are the only adjustment settings on the Garrett Apex, and EQ-800 owners often mock the Apex because it is a SMF offering, but they are comparing a "mid-priced" detector to the upper-end model they are using.

UtahRich
You've long had a preference for simple functionality and performance; minimal settings and great value. Actually, of the detectors you currently have, I think the Silver Sabre, Bandido 2 µMax, and Simplex+ are perfect fits for the ghost town detecting that you've done for decades.

The Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX are certainly solid units in my detector outfit, and for good reason. They are light-weight, comfortable, and they work well in most challenging sites as well as many urban settings. The Simplex + can also be used for ghost town hunting, but I favored the Apex over the Simplex due to the feel and balance as well as the search coil selection.

I
UtahRich
I think the Garrett Ace Apex is a great fit for your current urban setting in Texas of private yards, parks and tot lots. The Apex is light in hand, has an easy to see screen, a good selection of coils and does a nice job.

The Apex IS a good fit for me and my needs. I have three, each with a different coil, and they can handle a lot of locations and challenges, from trashy urban places to iron nail choked ghost towns. Once used enough and learned, as we should any detector, the Apex is a lot of detector for the price with performance.

UtahRich
I see an equinox, deus, legend, and even the higher end Nokta Makro detectors like the Impulse, Anfibio-Multi and Multi-Kruzer all overkill for the type of detecting you have long enjoyed. The myriad of settings and modes and options and so forth only clutter the playing field of the simple performance you need.

Of the Nokta / Makro line, the Impact appealed because it offered Selectable Single-Frequency and was land-based with AA batteries. Otherwise, I was going to pick-and-choose between the Equinox-800 and Legend.

Just my thoughts on your excellent reply and why I was curious about how many Minelab Equinox users would comment or be interested in an '800-D' Default-Only budget-priced model to go against other mid-priced offerings.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Simplex + .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer and Mi6 Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

EQ-800 Default performance and price???

Monte 127 November 23, 2021 11:45PM

Re: EQ-800 Default performance and price???

Kickindirt 82 November 28, 2021 01:25PM

Re: EQ-800 Default performance and price???

jmaryt 67 November 28, 2021 05:55PM

Picking the Right Detector

UtahRich 96 November 24, 2021 11:55PM

Rich, some comments on why I made this post.

Monte 60 December 02, 2021 05:39PM

Re: Picking the Right Detector

jmaryt 73 November 30, 2021 08:59PM

'Simple' is good but I have used 'top-end' models.

Monte 47 December 02, 2021 02:04PM

Rich your response was better than you may have imagined.

Monte 68 November 25, 2021 05:44PM

All's quiet on the Western Front.

UtahRich 60 November 26, 2021 08:17PM

Re: All's quiet on the Western Front.

D&P-OR 62 November 28, 2021 02:17AM

Re: All's quiet on the Western Front.

jmaryt 52 November 28, 2021 05:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021