Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My thoughts on 900's / 700's and Manticores

December 02, 2022 01:05PM avatar
Utmike
Rich, I'm equally curious what does/doesn't jump out at you? I sort of see a repeat of the Etrac vs. 3030 happening here with the new Nox's and Manticore hitting the showroom at the same time. ML is gonna win big time in sales, hopefully we will too in quality.

Now that Minelab has laid their cards out on the table, the picture is much clearer and i can draw some parallels to what Minelab had out there 20 or so years ago with the Safari and Explorer/Etrac.

To me the Equinox isn't and won't be an Etrac. End of story. Equinox is a digital target ID display just like the old Safari. The Manticore relates directly to the Etrac with the 2D display. Enormous difference between the two. The ability to discriminate using patterns on the 2D screen is there just like the old Explorer/Etrac. Now there isn't a GPS system to record search patterns and finds, so it isn't the CTX3030 either. MInelab did say they borrowed some other smarts from the CTX that have been blended into the Manticore.

So I look at the equinox and manticore as a Safari and Etrac if we want to draw comparisons.

Changes . . . . I see the Equinox 900/700 as Minelab addressing some failures in design of the 800/600 - First, the Control Pod has a design flaw in the waterproofing. Minelab says it is an itty bitty tiny portion of Equinox sales. I guess it must be related to folks being on the internet because an abnormally large percent of folks that hang on the forums have had issues. eye popping smiley Second, the Search Rod has rigidity issues, Third, the arm cuff is manufactured of plastic that is more brittle in cool/cold conditions than is optimal and subject to breakage, and Fourth, the EQ11 Search Coil ears are poorly designed and subject to breakage from repeat flexing during tightening of the search coil bolt.

I bought my 800 early on and had to have the middle rod replaced due to sloppy tolerances at the joint with the upper section. It would hinge back and forth when changing swing direction. Maddening while hunting. Minelab took care of it immediately. Shortly after that, I bought an aftermarket carbon fiber rod from Steve G. along with an aftermarket arm cuff from Jeff Herke. Problem solved with my own $$$.

I haven't broken the ears on my EQ11 coil, nor have i had leaking problems with the housing, but both are possibilities so in early November when Minelab offered their $100 off special, I bought an extra one. I was spending my hunting time in the shallow water and i had already decided the XP D2 wasn't what I was looking for in a shallow water detector and sold it. I was without a backup, So I gave Joel a call. Do I regret not waiting for another 5 weeks or so and getting a 900? It's sixes. I have hundreds of hours on my 800, I know it so well. So i'm remaining positive about it and will tell you I'm saving my learning energy for other new stuff in 2023. How's that? winking smiley

Moving forward. Those looking for a Equinox would do well to pick up a new 900. I like the changes they've made. But it is more money, $1099 vs $899. Well, I spent about $150 on the aftermarket carbon fiber rod and arm cuff. The new 900 has a telescoping rod system that is better and a flexible arm cuff i like better as well. Too, the 11" coil ears have been modified to resist breakage. A better system top to bottom. I'd spend the additional $200 if the money wasn't an issue. And it looks to me like Minelab has very sneakily got the 900 and 700 ready to go without letting the secret out. Everybody was distracted by the Manticore.

As for me, I'm looking at the Manticore which has all of the above benefits AND the 2D display, the Multi-IQ+ power and on and on. That's me. As for my 800, it has a jersey hanging in my rafters so to speak. Despite those design failings listed above, it has been an All-Star for me and will continue to be so.

Hope that answers your question(s) Mike. As always, i reserve the right to increase my knowledge and understanding of things which may cause me to modify or even change my opinions.

Have a great day. Looking forward to seeing you out and about.

Rich -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2022 01:09PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

Manticore, Equinox 900 and 700. Merry Christmas.

UtahRich 186 December 01, 2022 05:29PM

Things are looking good for Minelab.

Monte 84 December 07, 2022 06:37PM

Re: Things are looking good for Minelab.

nwdetectorist 63 December 26, 2022 10:51PM

Gregg looking for a new detector? Ya, right N/T

UtahRich 56 December 13, 2022 09:37PM

Like I said, I doubt that OregonGregg ...

Monte 54 December 14, 2022 05:10AM

Re: Things are looking good for Minelab.

jmaryt 66 December 13, 2022 07:52PM

700/900

Utmike 123 December 01, 2022 11:12PM

Changes - 700/900

UtahRich 126 December 01, 2022 11:50PM

Thoughts and questions..

Utmike 100 December 02, 2022 10:39AM

My thoughts on 900's / 700's and Manticores

UtahRich 122 December 02, 2022 01:05PM

Re: My thoughts on 900's / 700's and Manticores

GB_Amateur 76 December 04, 2022 10:20AM

Back at ya Rich

Utmike 101 December 03, 2022 01:17AM

Side note: Etrac thoughts

UtahRich 61 December 13, 2022 02:35AM

Tennis it is . . . .

UtahRich 127 December 03, 2022 02:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36