Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yes, I added a new Forurm for Minelab Electronics followers.

July 15, 2018 04:55AM avatar
As with most detector makers, some offer a model or two that I really like and use, while some offer units that just are not a great fit for my hunting site choices, nor work well with my impaired mobility. But that doesn't mean I haven't tried them out or owned and used several in the past. With Minelab models, I had my favorites that I used to enjoy using, especially when I lived in a large metropolitan area with a lot of parks and schools where I Coin Hunted a lot.

My favorite BBS unit was the Sovereign XS2a Pro with a 180 meter. The 8" coil I preferred most of the time, and this model worked in some EMI challenged locations where most of the other models I had at the time were too unstable. Honestly, out of all the Minelab detectors I have ever owned, that Sovereign outfit was my favorite.

I have owned several FBS models, to include a couple of Explorer XS versions, 6 Explorer II's, and an Explorer SE Pro. I have also borrowed and used the E-Track and CTX-3030, using the latter two along-side my Explorer II and joined by two friends with their different FBS models to compare our results and performance afield. In the end we all agreed that we preferred the Explorer II when all were using the same-size 11" DD coil.

I would have kept one of the Explorer II's in my Regular-Use Detector Team except I moved from the major Portland, Oregon metro area to a small and rural Eastern Oregon town where the bulk of my detecting puts me in very densely litters old sites with ample iron debris. I use other detectors that handle these environments far superior to the FBS group. The main issues I had/have, however, are with the weight and balance of those models that just isn't comfortable with my bad back, shoulder and neck.

Yes, I know, there is a new and lighter-weight Equinox model available, but it just isn't a model design that appeals to me. I'm not a fan of a built-in rechargeable battery system. And I hunt sites that are mainly very littered with iron, dense brush, building rubble, etc., and prefer a smaller-than-stock search coil. At least 95% of the time I use coils that measure between 5" and 7" and all of my detectors have coils in that size range already mounted and ready-to-go. I know when a 6" coil finally gets on the market for an EQ-800 I'll try a friend's unit out, but I seriously doubt that it will impress me enough to replace anything I currently use.

Nonetheless, Minelab Electronics has been around for a good while and does provide a good range of detectors that appeal to many Avid Detectorists for the types of hunting and site environments they like to hunt, and I respect what they have put into many of their detector offerings. Hopefully, this new Forum will bring out more product discussions, and certainly inquisitor's questions, that many AHRPS Forum participants will follow and help with answers.

Best of success afield to all,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: F-44, Nokta-Makro: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic,
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX, White's: XLT, XP: ORX
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Yes, I added a new Forurm for Minelab Electronics followers.

Monte 361 July 15, 2018 04:55AM

Wow, you added a Minelab forum!!!

GISGUY 290 July 15, 2018 08:02AM

Re: Wow, you added a Minelab forum!!!

Kickindirt 236 July 20, 2018 02:21PM

My views on the rechargeable battery Vs alkaline battery use.

Monte 263 July 19, 2018 05:33AM

Rechargeable Batteries and Such -

UtahRich 267 July 23, 2018 05:22PM

Re: My views on the rechargeable battery Vs alkaline battery use.

GISGUY 320 July 21, 2018 10:50AM

Re: My views on the rechargeable battery Vs alkaline battery use.

Kickindirt 242 July 21, 2018 08:25PM

Hey, A Minelab Forum thumbs up

UtahRich 243 July 18, 2018 07:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018