Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burnt Out Parks / Schools. Can the Equinox handle it?

August 28, 2018 10:17PM
Hey there jmaryt,

Good question. Is the equinox up to tackling a burnt-out park or school? (all the easy stuff is gone)

Short Answer – In my opinion YES.

I have found the 800 to be very good at gleaning leftovers from hard hit parks in among conductive trash. I’ve been setting up my 800 in Park 1 for 5-tones and making a very narrow notch for nickels at 12-13. (see dirtfishing - [www.youtube.com] ) This gave me a place to start and then make my own adjustments to fit my personal preferences. Like stated in the video, I lower the tones and loudness of the foil and tabs ranges and have nickels and zinc and above at a higher tone and louder. If you’re familiar with the Fisher CZ-6 series, you get the idea of what I’m trying to accomplish; highlight coin signals, but let me know when I have foil and tab range targets under my coil. That way I can selectively dig targets I think might be a gold ring and better separate adjacent targets.

This method allows me to hunt and hear all of the signals of trash and treasure and not have a migraine headache from the noise after the first 30 minutes.

My 800 does a nice job of finding ‘good stuff’ in conductive trash when set up this way. I have been finding LOTS of nickels. The 800 has a talent for nickels and lots of them have been left behind by high conductor cherry pickers, so there’s a double bonus.

Am I finding targets that other detectors can’t? Hard to say, but right now I will say NO. I have other very good detectors that are also excellent at unmasking targets and there are things I like about them as well. I will say that the 800 makes it very easy to set up and successfully sort through conductive trash in search of keepers; the target ID, though squished, is quite good at depth. And the 800 is waterproof and the rest of my detectors are NOT.

Is the equinox a detector that you would like if you got one? No idea. Please don’t consider this as a recruiting effort on my part, just an opinion that you can consider with the rest you’ve gathered while out there looking.

Is the 800 my FAVORITE detector? NO. My favorite is still my Etrac.

Are there things that I don't like about the Equinox. Yes. It is very good, but not perfect. But that is another discussion best done over a steak dinner out in some tiny town in Nevada.

Hope that helps answer your question in some part.

Rich (Utah)

Minelab Etrac & EQ800
Nokta FORS CoRe
Tesoro Bandido & Bandido 2 µMax
White's MXT & XLT

Garrett ProPointer AT
Subject Author Views Posted

Copied from the Traditional Coin Hunting Forum: Equinox 600/800

Monte 201 August 28, 2018 09:02AM

Burnt Out Parks / Schools. Can the Equinox handle it?

Rich (Utah) 146 August 28, 2018 10:17PM

Rich (Utah), you pointed out some of my 'thoughts' that maybe I didn't convey.

Monte 135 August 29, 2018 11:40AM

Re: Burnt Out Parks / Schools. Can the Equinox handle it?

jmaryt 141 August 29, 2018 01:13AM

Re: Copied from the Traditional Coin Hunting Forum: Equinox 600/800

Kickindirt 155 August 28, 2018 01:24PM

Re: Copied from the Traditional Coin Hunting Forum: Equinox 600/800

jmaryt 133 August 29, 2018 01:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018