Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drew, my updated thoughts on the F44, as well as the Omega 8000 Vs F5.

December 04, 2018 08:30AM avatar
Let me start with the Teknetics Omega 8000 and the Fisher F5.

I bought an Omega 8000 V4 in March of 2010. I hunted a lot with it to learn it and overall I liked it. Later I borrowed a friend's F5 and used it in similar sites. It was OK also, but I preferred the Omega 8000. I also read comments by the design engineer at FTP, Dave Johnson, and he also preferred the Omega 8000, so I guess my conclusion wasn't so bad. Better balance, simple and functional.

Now to the Fisher F44. I know I replied about it on a different website forum but I'll just touch on it here. I played around with it and the three preset Disc. modes, Jewelry, Coin and Artifact, to get an understanding of how they set it up. The assigned audio Tones for those three modes are fixed. You can Notch reject segments you don't want, and you can also adjust the Volume level to result in a reduced Irom Audio Volume.

I have no use for the Coin mode because I never want to reject the notches it does. I Do like the Jewelry mode as it only rejected the Ferrous Notch-Disc. segment and accepts all others. I also like the Artifact mode because it Accepts ALL of the Disc. segments and has a functional audio Tone assignment as well.

I then programmed the Custom Mode to have the Audio Tone assignment that I prefer for most of my day-to-day hunting needs.

I like the very light weight and it is very comfortable to use. With my falling apart health and limited strength and mobility in my detector arm, it makes hunting a lot more pleasurable. As always, I consider how a detector fits my three-point criteria, and it fits great! I like a detector o be 'Simple,' and the F44 is just that. Easy to get started with the saved factory models and my Custom mode ready-to-go at turn-on.

I like 'Functional' and the F44 meets that criteria as well because it is easy to get into use and the Ground Grab is very quick and accurate, and after some testing I am very relieved that the GB setting is carried over to ALL modes and not only the All Metal and Pinpoint functions.thumbs up

And finally, I look for 'Performance' and the F44, with an MSRP of only $399, easily satisfies that need for most typical day-to-day Coin & Jewelry Hunting, as well as a lot of Relic Hunting in old-use sites with brush and building rubble and discarded trash to deal with. The Relic Hunting performance doesn't match what my Nokta CoRe or Relic can do in the very dense iron contaminated sites, but in modestly littered sites it does fine.

I outfitted my F44 with the excellent 7" Concentric coil I swapped off my 2nd Omega 8K, and on that unit I mounted the very handy 5" DD to better work more confined or trashier places. My F44 runs very calm and quiet which I appreciate, even in areas where the Omega's and MX-7 are a bit noisy due to EMI.

Just a brief update on the bargain-priced F44 Fisher that is now a solid member of my Regular-Use Detecting Team.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Druid, a tardy reply to your post below, and FTP products.

Monte 153 November 30, 2018 09:31AM

Re: Druid, a tardy reply to your post below, and FTP products.

Druid 90 December 02, 2018 02:44PM

Drew, my updated thoughts on the F44, as well as the Omega 8000 Vs F5.

Monte 99 December 04, 2018 08:30AM

Re: Drew, my updated thoughts on the F44, as well as the Omega 8000 Vs F5.

Druid 102 December 05, 2018 01:37PM

Drew, here are some additional thoughts about the F19.

Monte 110 December 05, 2018 11:12PM

Re: Drew, here are some additional thoughts about the F19.

Druid 92 December 06, 2018 03:17PM

NWCindy 86 December 02, 2018 06:04PM

Druid 85 December 02, 2018 08:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018