Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Just be careful not to overthink the trash-handling abilities.

January 05, 2019 08:18AM avatar
jmaryt
as i have stated,i usually hit curb strips,and totters with it.i was wondering since you say the '44 is excellent in the junk,how would you compare the mojave to the 44 in similar trashy environments?
The Fisher F44 is an excellent detector for general purpose detecting, and very similar in performance to the Teknetics Omega 8000. That model and I had very successful experiences for over five years. The vast majority of the locations the Omega 8000 worked well at were urban Coin & Jewelry producing areas where the bulk of the 'junk' I encountered was the discarded foil wrappers, ring-pull and rectangular pry tabs. Naturally there would be the problem bottle caps associated with picnic and lounging areas.

Then omes the topic of hunting in a 'junk' filled site. I hunt a lot of those and it really depends on the amount of and type of targets we consider to be 'junk.' In the urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting places most of the 'junk' we come across is fairly well spaced so as not to be a terrible challenge to deal with. Then there are the areas with a very dense debris environment, especially more of the Relic Hunting locations where nails are a serious problem as they are often in a very dense or close association. There can be other discarded just to deal with and a lot of that has a ferrous make-up and in a dense environment, plus the amount of rusty tin to be dealt with.

When I work a site that I know to be very iron contaminated, I use a different detector. Usually a Nokta Relic w/5" DD or a Nokta CoRe with the slightly 'OOR' DD, or a single-tone White's Classic ID w/5½" Concentric of Tesoro Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric. All of these detectors in that order, will provide me with the better in-the-field performance when working an Iron Nail contaminated site or places with a lot of ferrous and non-ferrous junk in a close association. Of the FTP products, the next I would grab in any of these more challenging conditions would be the F44 / Omega 8000 with a 5" DD coil. Worked slowly and methodically it will do much better than a standard-use 7" Concentric coil. Not as good as the other models in the order I mentioned, but the 5" DD will handle dense contaminations better than the 7" Concentric or other coil options on the Fisher or Tek. models.

Most parking strips and similar easements are not heavily littered with 'junk' although sometimes they can be. I don't work those nearly as often as I used to because I'll find other places to hunt. I will select some strips when they are tilled or dug up, of bare dirt, but the grassy curb strips I do look for will be those adjacent to vacant lots or by schools and other places that lack an occupied dwelling.

I am headed out this afternoon, if it warms up enough, and my 'Travel Team' will be handling all the detecting. Those are my F44 w/7" Concentric, Omega 8000 w/5" DD and Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric ... and used in that order with the F44 seeing most of the work load.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Your Favorite Fisher or Teknetics Detector to Date is . . . . . . .

UtahRich 206 December 28, 2018 10:50PM

My Favorite Fisher and Teknetics Detectors are:

Monte 212 December 30, 2018 05:13AM

coil question on your Omega

TabWhisperer 120 January 07, 2019 11:35PM

Yes, it is the Fisher 7" Concentric.

Monte 134 January 08, 2019 09:45AM

Re: My Favorite Fisher and Teknetics Detectors are:

jmaryt 155 December 30, 2018 09:11PM

j.t. asked about 'processor speed' .. 'separation' .. encountered in .. 'urban public places.''

Monte 158 January 03, 2019 03:20PM

Re: j.t. asked about 'processor speed' .. 'separation' .. encountered in .. 'urban public places.''

jmaryt 127 January 03, 2019 11:10PM

Just be careful not to overthink the trash-handling abilities.

Monte 152 January 04, 2019 12:51AM

jmaryt 105 January 12, 2019 07:51PM

j.t., here's a long answer to your 'trash' handling question.

Monte 141 January 13, 2019 07:17AM

Re: j.t., here's a long answer to your 'trash' handling question.

jmaryt 101 January 13, 2019 08:53PM

jmaryt 152 January 04, 2019 09:49PM

Monte 149 January 05, 2019 08:18AM

Re: Your Favorite Fisher or Teknetics Detector to Date is . . . . . . .

RickUK 143 December 29, 2018 02:40AM

UtahRich 168 December 30, 2018 02:56AM

RickUK 140 December 30, 2018 03:17AM

UtahRich 129 December 31, 2018 10:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018