Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

January 31, 2019 10:11AM avatar
I really like the way they kept things light weight and a simple but efficient set of adjustment features.

I especially like the F44 as an urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting unit, and so far it is working well. As the year progresses and we get out of these little breaks of winter's cold and I can hunt more, I'll have a better feel of its performance, but so far I enjoy it.

This is not a detector choice for very dense iron contaminated Relic Hunting sites when after non-ferrous targets, but with the Iron Volume feature I used my F44 for a couple of hours several days ago when ghost town hunting 'Rippville' where I concentrated on more of the heavy nail and rusty tin plagued areas. With patience, it is usable, but it definitely lacks the response and recovery in nasty iron to match my Nokta CoRe and Relic devices provide. However, I also worked my Omega 8000 with the same size coils and thanks to the Iron Volume and the assignable Disc. segment audio tones, the F44 was a much better unit to use.thumbs up

As stated, my F44 was acquired primarily for use when going into 'flash money' urban locations where coins and silver and gold jewelry might be in abundance, and so far it has been working splendidly. I do enjoy the Tek. Omega 8000's but I am selling one of them, needing only one for certain field use or as a 'loaner unit' for folks who come ill prepared to have 'fun!'

jmaryt
i am considering purchasing the f44,and am 'concerned" about the 11" dd coil el paso is now offering as standard equipment on the f44.

i figured to be using the 11" dd coil for wide open areas and ball fields to get 'coverage".

..does anyone use the f44 with the 11' dd coil?.. if so,what do you think of it? i know it works very well on the 75, and fisher and technetics continue to offer it on their detectors. any comments most appreciated!
Ugly! To me, right from the very release of that new coil design on the Teknetics T2 when it was introduced, I felt it was 'ugly' and it wasn't a size and type coil I wanted for most of the places I hunt. That's my first thought about that 11" BiAxial coil.

Second, I wanted to be fair and give it a chance to prove itself to be, be it good or bad, and I was very interested in the new T2 which was about 13 years ago. I have owned maybe five or six T2's of various persuasions, and two or three Fisher F75's. In March of 2010 I bought an Omega pro package with three coils to include it's own 11" BiAxial, and I have had that coil to check out on the: Gamma, Delta, G2, Euro-Tek Pro, a few F19's, F5, and when I bought my F44 it came with the 11" BiAxial (aka Double-D) search coil.

I never, and I mean NEVER liked the 11" DD coil on any T2 or F75, or most of the others models because I found the Target ID to be too jumpy and not provide me a more trusting 'lock-on' of a numeric VDI reading. That was when evaluating it in most of the common urban places like grassy yards, parks and school grounds. My Omega 8000 produced a better 'lock-on' with the coil than the T2's and others on the mid-depth or deeper coins, and I noticed the F44 also worked better with that coil that the other models I listed.

I have the 11" DD coil mounted on a spare lower rod in my Accessory Coil Tote just in case I feel a need to use it in the future. It's ugly, to me, but it works on my Omega 8K or F44.

The F44 can also come with that goofy-looking tear-drop or egg-shaped Concentric coil, but 'ugliness' is just an individual's determination. I didn't like the looks of that coil or the potential for added front-end weight on a very lightweight detectors, so that's one reason I got my first F44 with the 11" DD instead of the funny Concentric designed bigger coil.

As for 'coverage' when hunting a wide-open locations, yes the 11" DD can provide a little bit more 'coverage' on a side-to-side sweep, but not as much as many people think, and actually less than some might imagine based upon the sweep length and coil's angle on the left and right sides of the sweep. Also, the DD's advantages isn't to a full detection depth but more in the upper 2"-3" for most coils in most environments when compared with a similar-size Concentric coil.

jmaryt
i was figuring on getting the 7" concentric coil for trash work in parks,schools,and curb strips.
For me and where I mainly hunt, the 7" Concentric coil, which as I say measures about ¼" wider than that, is a very good 'general purpose' search coil and has been [proving itself to perform well in most environments to include those that are moderately trashy.

In tighter confinements or dense trash in most modern, urban sites ike around picnic areas, etc., I have favored the smaller-size 5" DD which I also have a new version of on a spare lower rod. Fisher offered, but I believe has discontinued, a smaller-size 4" Concentric coil for the F5, F44 and other models that share search coils. I just ordered 4" Concentrics on Tuesday which should arrive on Monday and I'll spend next week comparing the 4" Concentric and 5" DD side-by-side on my two Omega's and on my two F44's. Then Ill know which of the two smaller coils I will prefer to use for what applications, and keep one models at-the-ready with a smaller size coil mounted for quick grab-and-go hunting.

jmaryt
if anyone is considering purchasing the f44,fisher is offering the 11" dd coil in a package that includes the "pulse" pin pointer, and the coil cover for the 11" dd coil
Yes, I just said TWO F44's because on Tuesday I ordered two of the 4" Concentric coils, a spare lower rod, and a new Fisher F44 from High Plains Prospectors over in Kansas.

Yes, I saw the F44 w/Tek-Point pinpointer on that e-bay outfit but they are asking $428 or $448 for an F44 w/Tek-Point. The F44 is selling alone for $309 so there's not that big a bargain to that combo offer. Besides, I wanted an F44 to complement what I have and that way I kan keep a 7" Concentric on one F44 and have the other F44 at-the-ready with either a 4" Concentric or 5" DD coil. I'll also have a back-up, brand new 7" Concentric coil because I ordered my F44 from them and asked them to replace the stock coil with the 7" Concentric which got me my new F44, equipped the way I want it, at a lesser price.grinning smiley

Now, to wrap this rambling up as I have to load a couple of things in my rig and get ready to go get my son and head off for an afternoon of ghost town hunting.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX .. XP: ORX
Specialty-Use Outfit: Fisher: F-44 .. White's: XLT and modified IDX Pro
Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Grey Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

f44

jmaryt 287 January 30, 2019 09:06PM

My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

Monte 391 January 31, 2019 10:11AM

Re: My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

jmaryt 193 February 01, 2019 11:59PM

Re: My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

Jamie 175 January 31, 2019 06:13PM

I'm anxious to findout how the 4" Concentric and 5" DD coils compare.

Monte 189 February 01, 2019 07:53AM

Re: I'm anxious to findout how the 4" Concentric and 5" DD coils compare.

jmaryt 213 February 02, 2019 12:09AM

Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

Monte 200 February 02, 2019 07:54AM

Re: Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

RickUK 151 February 04, 2019 01:13PM

Yes, smaller-size coils can rule the day, and I just added my smallest-size coil yesterday.

Monte 185 February 05, 2019 08:37AM

Re: Yes, smaller-size coils can rule the day, and I just added my smallest-size coil yesterday.

jmaryt 199 February 05, 2019 04:18PM

The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

Monte 160 February 06, 2019 07:08AM

Re: The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

jmaryt 156 February 06, 2019 11:36PM

Re: The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

Jamie 127 February 06, 2019 08:15AM

Jamie, some info about the 4" Concentric and an Omega 'package.'

Monte 158 February 25, 2019 11:44PM

Re: Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

jmaryt 211 February 02, 2019 04:42PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018