Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

February 02, 2019 07:54AM avatar
j.t., it's by belief that, for way too long, many hobbyists have been too caught up in the 'bigger coil' and 'more depth' false belief. Even the manufacturers are to blame when it comes to selecting a search coil as a 'standard issue' pick for many makes and models. Can some larger-size coils be of benefit to us? Yes, at times, and for certain types of searches, but I definitely do not believe they are necessary, or even a desired choice, for the bulk of the detecting people do.

My memory takes me back to 1988 when I was working for Compass Electronics and we were at the Texas Council of Treasure Clubs (I believe it was called back then) for their annual event and each manufacturer would have a turn giving a presentation to the audience about their products. White's had just recently made the move to introduce their newest upper-end models and they featured the new 950 Concentric coil as 'standard.'

Alan Holcombe from White's Electronics took the podium to address the audience, and after introducing himself and the company he represented, got started on their new models and one of the first things he brought up was the new 950 coil. He said it was their new standard coil and was replacing the former standard 8" coil, and he said it was due to the requests from some people who wanted more depth-of-detection.

He then continued, and I was impressed, because he told the audience that he felt they made a mistake. He said the standard 8" coil provided ample performance for most hunting needs for most people, and if they wanted more depth for certain needs, they could just buy the 10" coil they offered. I was not alone in my thoughts, either, because many attendees who were sitting near me in that audience, most of whom had a fair amount of field experience, were also in agreement. I had the same feelings as Alan did back then, and continue to feel the same today.

Bigger coils have their place, but they can also be a detriment when used in many applications were space is more confined, or when searching near metal structures, and most definitely when hunting in a trashier environment. And today, thirty-years later, most of the typically hunted sites, and I am referring to all of the public access urban locations where Coin & Jewelry Hunters frequent, have far fewer coins to be found, do not see as much freshly-lost coinage as we used to see, but they are also much more littered with all sorts of man-made ferrous and non-ferrous junk.

A site with a diminished coin presence and increased trash amount is no place for bigger search coils. Most 'standard' coils today are really too big to handily tackle the debris we need to deal with and it is to anyone's advantage to use a smaller-than-stock search coil. But I had determined by '71 / '72 that the 5" to 7" coils I was using most of the time were very capable of finding the majority of the better finds in all sorts of places.

Not just remote old townsites or homesteads that are full of nails and other debris, but all the common places in town and close to home. In the last 35+ years I would guess that about 95% of all my good finds have come my way using 5" to 7" search coils, and prior to that and going back to 1972, easily 85% of all my good finds were made with 5" to 7" search coils. The bulk of the difference I was using a 'standard' 8" coil.

The 'standard-use' coil I keep on a Nokta Anfibio is a 7" Concentric, and my Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX wears a 6" Concentric. I have a Nokta CoRe, and Relic with their smaller 'OOR' and 5" DD coils, as well as a Teknetics Omega 8000 w/7" Concentric and Fisher F44 w/7" Concentric. Monday I'll be adding another F44 to my Detector Outfit and I'll figure out which of the two smaller-size coils I'll keep mounted on that one. It will either be a new 5" DD or 4" Concentric, and I'll know the answer within a few days of evaluation after the 4" coils arrive on Monday.

The only bigger-size coils I keep mounted and read-to-use are actually a mid-size. Those would be the 5X9½ DD on my 2nd CoRe and the same size on my 2nd Relic. All of the 'standard' or over-size search coils I have are kept in an Accessory Coil Toted and ready for those times I might want or feel I need them.

I didn't care for the F75's I had, but the T2's I owned, a few of them, performed well for me in more challenging conditions, and all of them kept their 5" DD mounted. The T2 w/5" DD made a very good combinations for trashier environments, and also provided ample depth-of-detection for their size. The Omega 8000 and F44 are not depth demons, but they aren't wimpy, either, and provide me with very function depth and overall performance for most of my typical Coin Hunting needs.

I think the 7" Concentric with either a 4" Concentric or 5" Double-D will make a very good 2-detector / 2-coil set-up for me this year. I just wish I could order pleasant spring weather like I can detectors and accessories.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

f44

jmaryt 301 January 30, 2019 09:06PM

My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

Monte 431 January 31, 2019 10:11AM

Re: My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

jmaryt 209 February 01, 2019 11:59PM

Re: My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

Jamie 183 January 31, 2019 06:13PM

I'm anxious to findout how the 4" Concentric and 5" DD coils compare.

Monte 199 February 01, 2019 07:53AM

Re: I'm anxious to findout how the 4" Concentric and 5" DD coils compare.

jmaryt 228 February 02, 2019 12:09AM

Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

Monte 212 February 02, 2019 07:54AM

Re: Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

RickUK 159 February 04, 2019 01:13PM

Yes, smaller-size coils can rule the day, and I just added my smallest-size coil yesterday.

Monte 193 February 05, 2019 08:37AM

Re: Yes, smaller-size coils can rule the day, and I just added my smallest-size coil yesterday.

jmaryt 205 February 05, 2019 04:18PM

The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

Monte 176 February 06, 2019 07:08AM

Re: The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

jmaryt 164 February 06, 2019 11:36PM

Re: The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

Jamie 133 February 06, 2019 08:15AM

Jamie, some info about the 4" Concentric and an Omega 'package.'

Monte 168 February 25, 2019 11:44PM

Re: Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

jmaryt 225 February 02, 2019 04:42PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018