Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yes, smaller-size coils can rule the day, and I just added my smallest-size coil yesterday.

February 05, 2019 08:37AM avatar
I was encouraged by LWSteve on a different Fisher Forum to check out the smaller and thinner 4" Concentric coil. I have a new 5" DD Fisher/Teknetics coil in my Accessory Coil Tote on a spare lower rod, and the 5" DD has worked well for me on Teknetics Omega's, G2's, Euro-Tek Pros, Fisher F19's and a few other models in the past. I have kept a 5" DD mounted on one of the Omega 8000's I acquired last fall.

For general purpose urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and other applications where it isn't too trashy, the Fisher 7" Concentric coil is mounted as my main-use coil on a Fisher F44 and one on my other Omega 8000. Naturally I am very aware of the pros and cons there can be at times between a Concentric and Double-D coil's performance. I've been using Double-D search coils on some models since 1971 so their 'behavior' isn't anything new to me. As a rule, however, I have usually favored a Concentric coil over a DD, but some models do not have a good Concentric coil designed for them, and they work well because they were developed with and for a DD coil type.

Well, I wanted to get a 2nd F44 just to maintain a 2-Detector / 2-Coil outfit like I have with two Nokta CoRe's, two Nokta Relic's, and two Teknetics Omega 8000's. I figured I could leave the 5" DD on the second Omega 8K, and I have a new 5" DD I could have put on a second F44, but I ordered in two of the 4" Concentric coils along with a new F44. (By the way, since I'm not a fan of 'ugly-looking' search coils and don't really need a standard-to-larger size coil, I ordered my new F44 with the 7" Concentric instead of the 11" BiAxial or 11" 'tear-drop' shaped Concentric.thumbs up)

After assembling the F44 I mounted the just slightly wider than 4" Concentric, which is a very thin and light-weight coil. We had thunder and lightning, big sized hail and a heavy dumping of rain going on so I stayed indoors and started my side-by-side comparisons of the two smaller coils on both the Omega 8000 and F44. Naturally I used my Nail Board Performance Test, but I also included a few other test scenarios that would be more fitting for typical Coin & Jewelry Hunting conditions in urban environments where these two detectors will see the most use.

I enjoyed using an Omega 8000 for over five years with very good success for both coins and jewelry, and the F44 is proving to be an equally impressive performer. Neither of these models make real serious choices for working the very dense nail and other iron contaminated places I enjoy, but they can do OK in low to modest amounts of ferrous debris, and I really like the F44's features and audio qualities for those conditions.

Over in your chunk of the globe you do a lot of hunting in pasture / farm land with permission, and you're in search of very old targets from long-ago habitation. So many people think a bigger coil is necessary to cover a bigger-size area, but they haven't experienced the need to handle dense iron contamination, or the rough and rugged texture of the terrain, such as the dealing with plowed conditions and 'stubble rows', etc. Sometimes, a smaller coil is a 'must-have' to work on an angle to follow the contour of the plowing, work in a deep furrow, or to fit in between stubble, weeds, and crops or other vegetation to ensure we get better site coverage. Bigger coils just can't handle it.

Fast forward to the new 4" Concentric coil. It works much better than I would have imagined! That's the simplest answer to sum up how impressed I am at this point, and now I need some favorable weather to get out and put it to work in several hunting environments and see if I continue to be impressed. I am not one to go overboard in a 'depth' discussion as so many people seem to be. That said, I am one to point out that sometimes, with some makes and models and coil designs, we can not get 'sufficient' depth, or let's say 'functional' depth, with some smaller-size coils on many detectors.

That is not the case with the 5" DD on a good FTP product, and definitely not the case for this terrific smaller 4" Concentric coil. I get better depth with the F44 w/4" Concentric than I do with several other makes and models I have compared using their 5" to even an 8" search coils on some side-by-side comparisons in my indoor testing. Thursday is supposed to be sunny, and winds might slow to 5 mph as it warms to only 36° as it comes off a nighttime low of 16° (F not C), but I'll bundle up and go check this new 4" Concentric against the 5" DD in a few outdoor locations were I know the ground mineralization and typical trash to be encountered.

I have been doing such a good job of thinning out some duplicate models or heavier models, then I go and add another new and light detector, especially so with this tiny coil. thumbs upthumbs up

Long live the mightiness of the smaller-size search coils. smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float Let them reign forever!

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

f44

jmaryt 121 January 30, 2019 09:06PM

My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

Monte 117 January 31, 2019 10:11AM

Re: My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

jmaryt 73 February 01, 2019 11:59PM

Re: My thoughts on the Fisher F44 and search coils.

Jamie 80 January 31, 2019 06:13PM

I'm anxious to findout how the 4" Concentric and 5" DD coils compare.

Monte 96 February 01, 2019 07:53AM

Re: I'm anxious to findout how the 4" Concentric and 5" DD coils compare.

jmaryt 89 February 02, 2019 12:09AM

Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

Monte 84 February 02, 2019 07:54AM

Re: Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

RickUK 61 February 04, 2019 01:13PM

Yes, smaller-size coils can rule the day, and I just added my smallest-size coil yesterday.

Monte 87 February 05, 2019 08:37AM

Re: Yes, smaller-size coils can rule the day, and I just added my smallest-size coil yesterday.

jmaryt 80 February 05, 2019 04:18PM

The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

Monte 72 February 06, 2019 07:08AM

Re: The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

jmaryt 67 February 06, 2019 11:36PM

Re: The 4" Concentric coil does NOT get 'good depth.'

Jamie 55 February 06, 2019 08:15AM

Jamie, some info about the 4" Concentric and an Omega 'package.'

Monte 56 February 25, 2019 11:44PM

Re: Search coil assignments based on site selection and detector behavior.

jmaryt 86 February 02, 2019 04:42PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018