Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's been a month and nothing new.

March 31, 2020 02:32AM avatar
No new product mentioned from any of the three brands offered by FTP. Nothing really new in the Hobby or Sport division from White's, either and you'd think all of them would have been crafting something new for a while with a new year here and detecting opportunities here as we are swinging into spring. Forget the recent virus stuff because they have all been trailing the foreign detector makers for quite a while now and should have been working on R&D for months to be ready to get a grip on 2020.

Eight years ago this month I sat in a Minelab Dealer seminar when they announced changes in the business structure with their USA outlet, and also that they were now manufacturing all their detectors in Malaysia and not Australia or Ireland. Kind of a bold move to announced that shift in product source site, especially from one of the leading detector manufacturers, but they justified it by saying the cost of living and expenses were high in Australia so it was a move to increase production, but reduce the costs to make things affordable.

That was 2012 and here we are today with Minelab still one of the most talked about brands in the industry, and certainly not lacking in their marketing and sales success. ALL manufacturers use parts from China and other Asian or other foreign countries in their detectors, and White's even markets their bottom-line model, the XVenture, that is totally Made in China. While Garrett and First Texas Products do state in their ads that they are all Made in America, the USA, I wonder just how long they can continue to do that and design/engineer new hobby-based detectors that are both competitive and affordably priced without making a bold move like Minelab?

Decades ago Garrett had most of the books they sold made in Korea, if memory serves me correctly, and even back then I wondered if hey were going to also have their detectors made off-shore in order to handle the budget. But that was back when there were a lot of local dealers and many active metal detecting clubs as well, when the hobby was thriving. Times have changed.

First Texas Products, if you look into that company, is a lot bigger than just making hobby metal detectors, and I'd guess they could get by just fine if they didn't put so much effort into what they have offered. There's a lot less visibility of the Fisher line and Teknetics line, and for the last several years we've seen a lot of new names and decals as they have changed names and swapped some models between brands. It would seem the Bounty Hunter line, the main reason that Teknetics & Bounty Hunter were purchased about 30+ years ago, is the 'mass marketed product' that gets the bigger share of their detector business.

If they don't make a few models, not just relabeled or rehashed but brand new designs for BOTH the Fisher line and Teknetics line soon, that I wouldn't be surprised to see Fisher finally die as well as the Teknetics brand. Just keep mass-producing the Bounty Hunter models and pump them into any and every market like they have been for several decades and let that be their niche in the detector industry. We don't really see Garrett or White's, or the foreign Minelab, Nokta / Makro or XP manufacturers chasing that market segment where we see Bounty Hunter, so who knows? Nothing new announced or hinted from them and we hear very little about new stuff from FTP on any of the more popular metal detecting forums.

So, what do any of you think about the life blood and product future from First Texas Products with a Fisher or Teknetics label on it? Do you see or hear of, or even hope to hear, about something new and exciting from those two brands in the very near future?

I know I am sure wondering about the company, any future products, and how and where the industry is going in general.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II ┬ÁMAX & Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Will there be anything new .. and useful .. from FTP ....

Monte 286 February 28, 2020 05:58AM

Re: anything new .. and useful .. from FTP ....Here ya are Monte

Kickindirt 200 April 01, 2020 04:02PM

D&P-OR 179 April 01, 2020 05:49PM

Kickindirt 176 April 02, 2020 11:45AM

It's been a month and nothing new.

Monte 217 March 31, 2020 02:32AM

Re: It's been a month and nothing new.

jmaryt 147 March 31, 2020 04:10PM

D&P-OR 138 March 31, 2020 04:23PM

jmaryt 141 March 31, 2020 07:39PM

D&P-OR 146 March 31, 2020 08:54PM

jmaryt 140 April 01, 2020 02:59PM

Beach Detector on the cusp . . . . Impulse AQ

UtahRich 157 March 31, 2020 09:48AM

Re: Beach Detector on the cusp . . . . Impulse AQ

diggindeep 143 March 31, 2020 11:29AM

Re: Will there be anything new .. and useful .. from FTP ....

jmaryt 198 February 28, 2020 10:51PM

My three points of observation to your post:

Monte 189 February 29, 2020 07:44AM

D&P-OR 228 February 28, 2020 11:58PM

jmaryt 187 February 29, 2020 04:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 51
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020