Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'mxt sniper', 'Thanks' and some thoughts and comments.

October 26, 2020 01:04PM avatar
mxt sniper
My favorite Fisher detector was the Gold Bug 2, I found quite a few tiny nuggets with it in Nevada, and a few in Calif. Have since graduated to the Minelab Gold Monster since its got a bit more depth and has auto ground balance.

Remembering way back when the Gold Bug 2 first came out I was in much better health and could get around to more effort-accesses nugget producing sites.. I really like what that high-frequency detector could do.

In more recent years I was hoping the 19 kHz Gold Bug Pro would work well for me in a lot of the iron contaminated old sites I hunted, as well as be handy for some Nugget Hunting, if time and location were in my favor. The same circuitry was used in the Teknetics G2 and, as a Teknetics Dealer at the time, I added one to my outfit. They had gone through several revisions to get the final production unit out there, but ended that effort as they continued on their new model that would essentially, take its spot and offer better performance and improved features and that would be their 19 kHz F19 or G2+.

The G2 worked kind of okay except it lacked depth and responsiveness on higher-conductive targets, such as copper or silver coins. The depth of detection wasn't very impressive, either, so I looked forward to the F19 release. After it was out I purchased two of them, initially, at the end of 2014, and then I bought two more F-19's just a couple of years ago t do some more side-by-side comparisons.

Basically I like the F19 / G2+, but for the $$$ I felt it should have featured a useful 3-Tone mode choice as well. Additionally, it didn't match the gold nugget performance tests I did with my 19 kHz Nokta FORS Gold + and especially didn't compete with my 19 kHz FORS Relic.

mxt sniper
As far as coin/jewelry detectors I am stuck on MXT Pro. Have tried some late model offerings and gone back since.

Most of my detecting time. at least 80% to 90%, since mid-'83 has been concentrating on ghost towns and other out-of-the-way, and often very iron littered, old sites. For urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting I had been relying mainly n the White's XLT for more open areas, and a Tesoro favorite for tot-lots, playgrounds, sidewalk repair, etc. Then in 2000 I added the MXT after it came out, and later, after using the prototype that became the MXT Pro, I quickly added that model upon release to replace the MXT, and it was a regular-travel unit as well.

But I did add a couple of other FTP products along the way. The Teknetics T2 got my attention when released in 2006, and in March of 2010 I added a Teknetics Omega-8000 to my detector outfit mainly for a Coin & Jewelry Hunting group and it worked out terrific for me. It was light and handy, I liked the 3-Tone Disc. mode as well as 2-Tone and 4-Tone at times, but the MXT Pro was either a 2-Tone in the Relic mode w/o coin VDI's, or the annoying 7-Tone audio ID like their M6. I continued to use the Omega and G2 until late summer / fall of 2015.

I have re-acquired an MXT Pro three times since October of 2015 and, not long after, I'd let them go. It was basically just an 'extra' that I liked, but I didn't need. Also, there were some things lacking on the MXT and MXT Pro which helped nudge me to part with them. Not only did it not have Iron Audio or multi-tone in the Coin & Jewelry mode, but it also lacked manual Ground Balance which is a function I like to have control of. Even the Omega offered that as well as a 'Ground Grab' function.

Doing the multi detector evaluations this past week or so has called my attention to a model or two that do offer me GB capability and are also good on the mid-range to higher-conductive coins. Light, balanced, Automated or manual GB plus Audio Tone ID selection as me likely to hang onto the very affordable Fisher F5 and a couple of coils I already had.

The White's MXT Pro and newer offering, the MX-7, are very versatile detectors, but I'm thinning several models out so I changed my mind picking up another MXT Pro just a couple of weeks ago. I'm running out of room here at home. They were, in my pinion, one of the better models White's ever produced.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily-Use Team: F5 w/7" Con. .. Apex w/5X8 DD .. Apex w/NEL 5" DD .. Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD
Simplex + w/5X9½ DD .. Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Con.
Special-Use Team: CoRe w/'OOR' DD .. Relic w/5" DD .. XLT w/6½" Con. .. Bandido II µMAX w/6" Con.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Users of Fisher and Teknetics. What are your favorite models and why?

Monte 65 October 26, 2020 08:47AM

Re: Users of Fisher and Teknetics. What are your favorite models and why?

D&P-OR 46 October 27, 2020 10:33AM

desertsmith 56 October 26, 2020 10:32PM

'desertsmith', 'Thank You' for the various model comments.

Monte 50 October 27, 2020 05:13AM

diggindeep 49 October 26, 2020 04:56PM

Would be Users of Fisher and Teknetics. What are your favorite models and why?

UtahRich 47 October 26, 2020 08:37PM

Absolutely the best ergonomics.thumbs up ... Of them I favor a T2 but you'd likely pick an F75.thinking N/T

Monte 33 October 27, 2020 06:04AM

Re: Would be Users of Fisher and Teknetics. What are your favorite models and why?

OregonGregg 49 October 27, 2020 05:53AM

Magic 8 Ball says:

UtahRich 45 October 27, 2020 11:44AM

mxt sniper 48 October 26, 2020 12:00PM

'mxt sniper', 'Thanks' and some thoughts and comments.

Monte 47 October 26, 2020 01:04PM

EL NINO 57 October 26, 2020 10:40AM

I'm surprised I don't see more adjusted prices on them.

Monte 44 October 26, 2020 01:27PM

More thinking to do.

OregonGregg 49 October 26, 2020 09:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020